Plication & Pilates?

Hello. I am new to this forum. I am scheduled to have gastric plication on Feb. 13 and my paranoia is setting in. Am I going to spend the rest of my life worried that if I make a wrong move, my stitches will bust open? I love doing pilates (which of course, focuses on strengthening the core--lots of leg lifts and ab work), riding my horse (always potential for falling off) and other activities. Is anyone out there who has had the surgery finding that you are worried about activities because you're afraid of opening up the stitches?

Thanks.

I had the plication 9/27/2013 so I'm free to move about. I had the same fear!!! When I was cleared to do crunches and abdominal workouts I had nausea. I e-mailed OCC and they said it was stomach cramping which is normal. So, after my mini-freakout.. I realized that nothing was going to happen. I've carried heavy boxes with them pressing up against my stomach, did yoga, kick boxing, pilates and nothing. No pain or nausea. One thought that I did have though was strengthening my abs so it provides a better barrier to my stomach but I believe that if anything is going with a blow to the stomach is a rupture spleen... not a ripped stitch. But trust me you are not alone with the fear. As you are able to move more and be more active the fear slowly goes away. I honestly don't event think about now, I just think about losing weight and looking amazing for the summer :)

Good luck... it'll be okay :)

p.s. I asked Dr. Ortiz about the stitches ripping etc and he said that it wont happen.

I had the plication 9/27/2013 so I'm free to move about. I had the same fear!!! When I was cleared to do crunches and abdominal workouts I had nausea. I e-mailed OCC and they said it was stomach cramping which is normal. So, after my mini-freakout.. I realized that nothing was going to happen. I've carried heavy boxes with them pressing up against my stomach, did yoga, kick boxing, pilates and nothing. No pain or nausea. One thought that I did have though was strengthening my abs so it provides a better barrier to my stomach but I believe that if anything is going with a blow to the stomach is a rupture spleen... not a ripped stitch. But trust me you are not alone with the fear. As you are able to move more and be more active the fear slowly goes away. I honestly don't event think about now, I just think about losing weight and looking amazing for the summer :)

Good luck... it'll be okay :)

p.s. I asked Dr. Ortiz about the stitches ripping etc and he said that it wont happen.

Thanks for the response. It's nice to have others who have had the same thoughts offer support. When I posted my question, I hadn't had the surgery yet. Now that I'm two weeks out, you are right, I am feeling a lot more confident about moving around and actually got on the stationary bike for a bit. Good luck on your journey!