Types of exercise...what is ok or not?

Hi ya'll! I am going to be banded in mid-May and I know that I need to keep exercising in order to make the most of this tool and stay healthy. I read somewhere that there is to be no ab work until you are fully healed. Just how long does that take? My exercise is mainly yoga which I recently started doing 5 days a week. I really love it because it is really a good workout and makes me feel good. I'm worried about doing it post surgery though because there is a lot of bending and twisting and core stregthening work which I'm not sure if it will put too much strain on my stomach. Any advice? What types of exercising seems to be best for everyone besides walking?

Hi ya'll! I am going to be banded in mid-May and I know that I need to keep exercising in order to make the most of this tool and stay healthy. I read somewhere that there is to be no ab work until you are fully healed. Just how long does that take? My exercise is mainly yoga which I recently started doing 5 days a week. I really love it because it is really a good workout and makes me feel good. I'm worried about doing it post surgery though because there is a lot of bending and twisting and core stregthening work which I'm not sure if it will put too much strain on my stomach. Any advice? What types of exercising seems to be best for everyone besides walking?

Hello and welcome :wub: I can only tell you want they told me but you will need to talk to the doctors first!! Everyone is different and recovers at a different rate.

I was told no ab work for 6 to 8 weeks but that I could go back to walking as soon as I felt up to it. I do yoga and did not go back until 4 weeks after the surgery. I had a few problems with bending to the left and our instructor modified them for me. (she walks with us) I'd talk to the instructor and inform her what you have had done and she should give you modification to each. I walk/run/yoga and really want to start dong bike rides...

I wish you the best and please keep me posted on your new adventure of being banded :wub:

Janice

Welcome and you are on your way to the best tool ever. I was banded the last week of March. I too do yoga every morning as a warm up and after my surgery did not feel like doing the bending poses, and I assume you won't either. 6 months for ab work is what I was told but this week I have been able to bend a bit easier and so I am slowly adding in some poses that don't cause discomfort..I am really taking it easy though because I would hate to have the band slip, or have issues with the port because I can't wait..for me yoga is more of a warm up and stretching of my muscles before my 10 hour shifts on my feet..I have really missed it and now I am out of shape but not too badly.

Thanks for the response Michele! I love my yoga, it will be very hard to not be able to do it at least three times a week but I know that I will get back there sooner or later. I guess I should plan on it being longer than I expected but I will just take it easy because I don't want any slippage problems either.

Thanks for the info!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I was told no ab for 90 days, I could start walking immediately and regular exercise at 30 days. I hired a personal trainer and explained my situation - he showed me exercise that would help burn fat and build muscle without the use of my core. I'm totally into yoga and palates now and take classes 5 days a week - the other 2 I do crossfit or cardio and weights. (I also do 20 minutes of elliptical machines before any workout). And based on how elliptical machines feel - it does use more core more than walking but I "lock" when I use them so I'm using my core. I recomend starting slow and working your way up. Its amazing how fast time goes by and you can quickly start on your core. Its not worth the risk of hurting your band.

Best,

Lisa

Thanks Lisa.

You know it didn't take 3 months to get into my current shape so I should be able to wait it out. The treadmill is fine for now. Had a great sweat today. It's amazing the personality changes one goes through when incorporating exercise into the daily regime. All positive.

Paul