Gastric Plication

Just wondering how many folks out there had the GSP surgery over a year ago and how are they feeling, and is this working for them. Anyone out there actually gain the weight back again? I'm scheduled for GSP surgery in 2 weeks and a little nervous about the whole thing. How many men out there went through this, and how's it working for you? I'm excited at the prospect of looking at a mirror and being happy with what I see. I just hope this is as good as they make it sound.

Hi, I'm new to plication, January 27th, 2011, best thing I ever did for myself. Dr Ortiz has done over 300 plication plus has over 10 years experience in WLS general . You're in good hands. If you want to communicate with someone who has had their plication much longer...suggest you ask either Lori or Caroline to pass your email address along to some of their patients who are further out, and ask them to email you. Because of patient/doc relationship, OCC can't give you their email address. But before my surgery, I ask Lori(my corrdinator) if she would send my address to a few patients asking them to contact me. This was my first excperience in how supportive and helpful fellow WLS patients are. I got emails from 3 other gals who were having their surgery and we are still in contact. You might want to try this too.

Hi, I'm new to plication, January 27th, 2011, best thing I ever did for myself. Dr Ortiz has done over 300 plication plus has over 10 years experience in WLS general . You're in good hands. If you want to communicate with someone who has had their plication much longer...suggest you ask either Lori or Caroline to pass your email address along to some of their patients who are further out, and ask them to email you. Because of patient/doc relationship, OCC can't give you their email address. But before my surgery, I ask Lori(my corrdinator) if she would send my address to a few patients asking them to contact me. This was my first excperience in how supportive and helpful fellow WLS patients are. I got emails from 3 other gals who were having their surgery and we are still in contact. You might want to try this too.

Hi and thanks for that, how was your experience and how are you feeling now, are you eating normal food again, weight loss so far?

Dwayne

Just wondering how many folks out there had the GSP surgery over a year ago and how are they feeling, and is this working for them. Anyone out there actually gain the weight back again? I'm scheduled for GSP surgery in 2 weeks and a little nervous about the whole thing. How many men out there went through this, and how's it working for you? I'm excited at the prospect of looking at a mirror and being happy with what I see. I just hope this is as good as they make it sound.

The OCC has been doing the plication for over a year now-I am formerly a lapband patient of them, and I remember going last year for a fill and meeting the first guy to have the plication. As much as I love the OCC, I had the vertical sleeve revision because it has been around longer. It's the same concept as the plication, but they actually cut away the stomach. It's been around for two decades.

Just wanted to add that I was down there for 5 days and everyone was there for plication--except for me and one lady having a lapband. So, it is an extremely popular surgery. If I hadn't started with a band, I would have probably gotten the plication, too. I was on the fence for awhile trying to decide. :) Good Luck! You'll love the OCC.

Hi, My surgery experience was awesome. OCC is beyond clean, professional and they know their stuff.....they are patient focused. I weighed 211lbs on Jan 10th, 2011 at my doctor's office. Day of surgery 198.01lbs, last week weigh in was 173.5. I had been in a stall(aka plateau) for a couple of weeks floating between 174. & 177. Did a review of what I was and wasn't doing.....went back to basics...food journal, making sure I got a min of 64oz of water, upped my daily protein to closer to 80gms(was getting about 50gms). I do listen to a lot of You Tube videos for helpful hints and inspiration. I carry Papaya Enzyme chewables with me all the time, just in case I get any gas. I did have lots of post surgery gas, totally normal as during surgery CO2 is used to inflate your tummy area so the doc can see better. Now they do release it, but your body does need to release any residual.....I took Gas X strips with me, an idea I picked up from reading posts here. There are only 2 items I have not handled well. First was home made canned salmon. Being an oily fish, during cannning those oils are released, and I didn't drain it enough, not pat it dry....that made me nauseaed...Papaya Enzymes to the rescue. Also I had a steak at a not great restaurant. This restaurant used this type of meat that is a combination of all sorts of left over meat, then an exzyme is added, then it gets compressed and then they cut off a section.I had never heard of this type of meat prep..............apparently it is quite common..that gave me major gas.......those sharp stitch in left side kinda gas. Again, Papaya to the rescue. Obviously not ever going to that restaurant again and will ask every time I order a steak anywhere. Had a small rib eye at home and no problem. Now I eat whatever I want keeping in mind that it's high protein first......cold water fish and seafood have really high protein, low fat and good fats like Omegas. I have only had a couple times when I wanted candy..........H2O and a few minutes and the craving passes, so far, I'm sure those craving are there, and I will have to face them again....I know now I can make better choices.......and I know at times I will not always eat things that are the best choice. Also know it won't be the end of the world when it happens.............now I have the tools to not make it a daily habit. This prespective is a huge change for me. A few non scale victories have become more important to me than even the scale numbers(ok lets face it, ....those are great too)....things like down from a very very tight 16 jean to a very loose 12........or giving away all my 2X and 1X and XL tops...........having friends and family tell me I looked great and look and sound much happier(didn't even realize this had disappeared as my weigh sky rocketed).............I have lost my double chins, my cheek bones are back........even little thing like the cupid on my upper lip is back. Or to just be able to sit in an over stuffed chair with my bf, there's room now. My only regret is I waited for so long to do this for me. Very soon my high blood pressure meds will be history. If you want to email me, I will answer any question....ktbaillargeon@gmail.com cheers, Katie

Hi, My surgery experience was awesome. OCC is beyond clean, professional and they know their stuff.....they are patient focused. I weighed 211lbs on Jan 10th, 2011 at my doctor's office. Day of surgery 198.01lbs, last week weigh in was 173.5. I had been in a stall(aka plateau) for a couple of weeks floating between 174. & 177. Did a review of what I was and wasn't doing.....went back to basics...food journal, making sure I got a min of 64oz of water, upped my daily protein to closer to 80gms(was getting about 50gms). I do listen to a lot of You Tube videos for helpful hints and inspiration. I carry Papaya Enzyme chewables with me all the time, just in case I get any gas. I did have lots of post surgery gas, totally normal as during surgery CO2 is used to inflate your tummy area so the doc can see better. Now they do release it, but your body does need to release any residual.....I took Gas X strips with me, an idea I picked up from reading posts here. There are only 2 items I have not handled well. First was home made canned salmon. Being an oily fish, during cannning those oils are released, and I didn't drain it enough, not pat it dry....that made me nauseaed...Papaya Enzymes to the rescue. Also I had a steak at a not great restaurant. This restaurant used this type of meat that is a combination of all sorts of left over meat, then an exzyme is added, then it gets compressed and then they cut off a section.I had never heard of this type of meat prep..............apparently it is quite common..that gave me major gas.......those sharp stitch in left side kinda gas. Again, Papaya to the rescue. Obviously not ever going to that restaurant again and will ask every time I order a steak anywhere. Had a small rib eye at home and no problem. Now I eat whatever I want keeping in mind that it's high protein first......cold water fish and seafood have really high protein, low fat and good fats like Omegas. I have only had a couple times when I wanted candy..........H2O and a few minutes and the craving passes, so far, I'm sure those craving are there, and I will have to face them again....I know now I can make better choices.......and I know at times I will not always eat things that are the best choice. Also know it won't be the end of the world when it happens.............now I have the tools to not make it a daily habit. This prespective is a huge change for me. A few non scale victories have become more important to me than even the scale numbers(ok lets face it, ....those are great too)....things like down from a very very tight 16 jean to a very loose 12........or giving away all my 2X and 1X and XL tops...........having friends and family tell me I looked great and look and sound much happier(didn't even realize this had disappeared as my weigh sky rocketed).............I have lost my double chins, my cheek bones are back........even little thing like the cupid on my upper lip is back. Or to just be able to sit in an over stuffed chair with my bf, there's room now. My only regret is I waited for so long to do this for me. Very soon my high blood pressure meds will be history. If you want to email me, I will answer any question....ktbaillargeon@gmail.com cheers, Katie

Hi Katie,

Thanks so much for all of the info, Carolyn gave me the contact info of a gal that went through the GSP in Feb this year, and she was really nice and very helpful. I was having some sleepless nights after watching some of the stuff posted on You Tube regarding failed gastric surgeries,.... and I will admit I was a little freaked out to say the least, but none of them were patients of OCC. She said she and a lady also in for GSP hung around before and after the procedure and they both felt fine, no cramps, nausea etc. She did say she was careful to follow all the pre-op instructions and believes this really helps, she's a nurse with 23 years of hospital experience, and worked all the units at one time or another. My heartfelt thanks go out to her for being so kind to take the time to make me feel confident I'm making the right decision. A lot of very kind people with big hearts on this forum, and I thank all of you for taking the time to help me feel confident and prepared for what lies ahead. Best Regards, Dwayne

Hi Feather, Contact either Lori or Carolina and explain to them you'd like to communicate with someone who had their surgery about a year ago. They have done this before and will help you with it. Everyone has these feelings you're experiencing, they are totally normal. Try not to stress out too much, everything will be okay.

• 10 months later...