Hello OCC Sleeve patients. I have a question. I'm 2 weeks out from my sleeve revision surgery and wondering - how long did it take before you could get the thicker liquids like protein shakes or liquid yogurts down a bit easier? I'm 2 weeks out today and still really having to baby those, it takes me quite awhile to get through one. I know this is normal, just wondering what your experience was.

Thanks!

If you haven't read my blog - you can find it here. I encourage all of you to start one, it can be very helpful to other patients!

http://www.occforum.com/index.php?app=blog

Lori I am now 7 weeks out and just this past week have been able to take larger sips. Some days it is just like the first few weeks tho. I have started to monitor my salt intake as I think this might have something to do with my swelling.

It is going well but I can say I have days where it seems I am just tight. Last night I made up my little 6 inch plate with chicken, green beans, and a little potatos and I was able to eat it all and that is the first time that has happened. I can also say I can't do cold or iced liquids my sleeve just doesn't like them it is like it contracts as soon as the liquid geting in my Tinny tummy. Not a good feeling.

I spoke with Dr. Martinez, and he said, especially for sleeve revision patients, it may take 6 weeks for the post operative inflammation and swelling to really subside. That can happen a bit faster in a "virgin" sleeve surgery. So I'm trying to be a patient patient... trying to find some alternative ways to get in my protein, as the shakes do not seem to agree with me, no matter what type I use. I have noticed warm tea does go down much more easily then the cold tea, but even the iced tea hasn't created spasms, just have to drink it more slowly. Anxious to see what the next few weeks bring. The chicken and veggies sound sooooo good to me right now. I get to start on mushies on Monday, so... mashed potatoes... here i come!

Hi Lori,

I am 4 weeks post op now and still taking very very small sips and bites. I still drink a lot of protein drinks, and eat a lot of sugar free pop sickles! Those seem to be my favorite as I'm having a hard time not being able to eat and drink at the same time. So usually after I eat I have a pop sickle. I'm also loving my oatmeal as I'm getting tired of mashed potatoes, beans and soup! I found a few great watermelons and those also seem to be my favorite right now. I'm down 32lbs now and feeling GREAT!

Lori, one thing that I have enjoyed using is the Unjury unflavored protein mix. It has both whey and soy in it, so I am not sure how it would work for you, but I like putting it in my tomato soup, for example. It works in just about anything except plain.

• 2 months later...

I spoke with Dr. Martinez, and he said, especially for sleeve revision patients, it may take 6 weeks for the post operative inflammation and swelling to really subside. That can happen a bit faster in a "virgin" sleeve surgery. So I'm trying to be a patient patient... trying to find some alternative ways to get in my protein, as the shakes do not seem to agree with me, no matter what type I use. I have noticed warm tea does go down much more easily then the cold tea, but even the iced tea hasn't created spasms, just have to drink it more slowly. Anxious to see what the next few weeks bring. The chicken and veggies sound sooooo good to me right now. I get to start on mushies on Monday, so... mashed potatoes... here i come!

Did you try isopure ? I have done some reading and lots of people love this drink