Feeling down, progress slow since Plication on March 14th

Reading on here tonight hoping to find some posts to make me feel better but no luck... trying not to be discouraged but just can't help it. It's day 16 since surgery and I'm only down 8 lbs since surgery. I was just expecting more results based on what I've been reading from others. I've started recording everything I eat/drink - I'm getting the protein (greek yogurt has high protein counts so that helps) but I'm noticing its hard to get much in calories - I'm thinking I'm not taking in enough but scared to increase... I'm not taking in junk - I'm following the recommended diet. Hoping when I can increase the exercise in a few days things will improve but open to suggestions. Maybe I just need someone to slap me. Who knows. :(

Oh hang in there girl, ya know everyone is different and if you are doing everything right IT WILL COME OFF. I am a firm believer that you must get as close to 1000 to 1200 calories a day to see progressive weight loss. Our bodies our so messed up from years of yo-yo dieting and we must get our metabolism back in order. I started solids sooner because I just couldn't get in enough calories in liquids only. I have yet to have a stall so try getting more in. Don't be afraid of food. :)

Oh haven't we all felt where you are..........I lost weight great in first 7 weeks, then I hit a stall. I did exactly what Ihad read as suggests here........write everything down......get the water intake up to 64oz(that one took a while and some days I miss the mark..........and protein first. You're just starting your journey, try not to think of it as a race but you're in this for the long haul..............Olivia is so right..our yo-yo dieting has so messed up our metabolism..........keep to the post surgery eating guidelines and you will loose.......the hardest thing I've had to gain is 'patiences'.... and I have them for everyone but myself, so I'm saying this to you as much as saying them to myself. And come and voice your frustration here, each of us has expereinced similar things too. cheers, Katie

Hi,

A couple of years ago I went on the 6 week body makeover. He recommends eating 6 times a day because our metabolisms need to know we are not starving bec if it thinks we are starving it shuts down. Also, walk everyday. I walk in the development across the street twice at a very leisurely pace. I may walk three times today. It is a real small development.

I'm about 16 days out, too. I had mine March 16th and I have lost 9 lbs since then. In fact, this am when I weighed in I gained 12oz because I made pea soup with ham liquified it and then strained it. It had salt in it and now I am retaining water. However, I feel better today because of the protein. I could barely move a few days ago.

I am determined now, and it is hard, to listen to my body and my pouch. We will both lose the weight.

Sharon

It's been exactly two weeks since my plication and I've lost 8 lbs. From what I've been reading, this seems to be at pace with everyone else who's had plication recently. I think many of us (me included) had some high expectations that the lbs would just melt off after surgery, but reality is setting in now and I'm adjusting my expectations accordingly. I think 2-3 lbs a week is a good rule of thumb. I'm trying not to run to the scale every day and night. There is always the water retention factor to consider. It'll just drive you crazy!

Thank you all for sharing your progress! It's good to know I'm not alone in this!

My weight loss has been very slow too. I felt really down and out for the longest time, but gradually have gotten used to the fact that I am just a slow loser. My weight loss comes to a halt for weeks and then slowly a few pounds comes and then halts again. Its very frustrating when you read how fast the weight comes off for some people. But hang in there.

Try not to worry too much. I am only a few weeks out of surgery but I lost 8 pounds for the first week and then didn't lose anymore for almost 2 weeks. Your body is adjusting. I figure I lost a lot of water the first week due to dehydration (I was very dehydrated) and then the next couple of weeks I had more fluids and then the 8 pounds was true weight loss. It has to work so don't fret. In a couple of weeks you will likely see some weight loss again.

I am on day 24 and I am down 12 pounds but like I said I didn't lose anything after the first week for almost another 2 weeks.

Best of luck

Sarah

Thank you all so much, I really does help to know its not just me. I know in my head that I'm probably expecting far too much - then again haven't we all been looking for that "instant miracle" for years. The magic diet plans, patches, hypnotism LOL I've just got to cut myself some slack and be patient. I do know that my total intake is not where it should be so I'm increasing my calories etc. I have increased the consistency just a little to help with my overall intake since the constant drinking has been driving me crazy. It's not a hunger issue, just sick of drinking! Also looking forward to going to the gym next week - I'm not much of an 'outdoors' walker, primarily because it's so darn hot and humid here - I hate to be hot and blah, in addition to being self conscious after years of being a whale. Fortunately the Golds gym nearby has a cardio-theater room and its dark and plays movies so I enjoy going in there and being anonymous while exercising. Once I get to a size I'm comfortable with I look forward to getting over these 'issues' :rolleyes:

For those of you who are eating regularly again, are there any foods that we should avoid? There isn't anything in the post op info... I was wondering if nuts might be hard to digest or if salad would be something I should wait to start eating in the beginning... any advise on the solids phase would be appreciated.

Thanks again ya'll!!!! I appreciate all of you and your words of encouragement.

Yolanda

Hi Yolana.......here are a few ideas for starting soft foods........Wild Pacific Salmon(rather than the farmed Alantic salmon, no where as tastey)...I buy it in 4oz fillets in the frozen food area. In fact any cold water fish or sea food. All are high in protein, low in fat and has lots of good oils like Omega. Jenno O makes great frozen white meat turkey patties and meatballs, again another low fat high protein.....for example one white turkey pattie has 30gms of protein and only 5gms of fat. I use Lite Laughing Cow cheese in place of mayo or cream cheese. It comes in all sorts of flavors like Herb and Garlic.....6gms of protein and 2.5grms of fat per serving, melted on turkey pattie or the meatballs......delish! I usually have one of those roast chickens from the market.....I cut it into 4-5oz servings, and freeze the portions, defrosts quickly and great when you're not sure what to eat. Chicken and celery diced into very tiny pieces mix in low fat Oliva oil or melted Laughing Cow and serve it on lettuse leaves roll it up and eats like a sandwich. Within a week of soft food I ate a romaine lettuse salad with some of that roasted chicken etc.or salmon. Or serve it on melba toast, or Stone Wheat thins. The two things that haven't agreed with me were a steak, but I think that was just a bad one from a restaurant, cause I've since had a piece of Rib Eye and was fine. The other thing was some of my home made canned salmon. Being an oily fish, once canned all the oils come out and I didn't pat it dry with paper towels. Oh one other thing that didn't go well was home made beef barley soup. That one broke the golden rule of mixing a solid with a liquid.........missed the obvious.........take the solids out and leave the broth for another time. Other than those things, I've been able to tolerate everything I've tried. I keep Papaya Enzyme chewables with me all the time. Got the idea from a lap bander on You Tube...solves any gas issues within 15 minutes, and thye taste yummy too. Cheers, k:)

Yolanda

Yolanda,

I feel the same way that you do. My weight loss has slowed down noticeably since the first week. I think i've only lost a pound or two this week, but any loss is good, so I am trying to stay positive. I too am looking forward to going to the gym. My Rec Center has a whole rack of ellipticals and treadmills in an area with a bank of TVs on different channels, so that will be pleasant!

And thank you ktb for the list of soft foods! I didn't know how I was going to survive on crackers, toast and applesauce! I love fish, so that will be a great and welcome change!

Wow, I am impressed with all of you. You are so strong and determined. I am worried I won't be the same after my surgery. I still haven't gotten my passport so i don't have a surgery date yet, and that frustrates me. My main fears are that I won't be able to stick to the liquid diet for three weeks post-op, and even now I can't seem to stick to the pre-op weight loss. I haven't officially gone on the diet yet, but have cut back on intake considerably. I need to lose 17 lbs before surgery and I wonder if I can. The point is, if I were able to lose weight on my own I wouldn't be getting WLS in the first place. I know Plication isnt the only thing that i need to lose weight, I realize its only one of the tools I need to acquire. I just doubt myself and my lack of self control has so much power over me. Really feeling like a failure today and wondering if I'm just going to be wasting money doing this.

I wish all of you the best of luck in your continued success

Feather

Reading on here tonight hoping to find some posts to make me feel better but no luck... trying not to be discouraged but just can't help it. It's day 16 since surgery and I'm only down 8 lbs since surgery. I was just expecting more results based on what I've been reading from others. I've started recording everything I eat/drink - I'm getting the protein (greek yogurt has high protein counts so that helps) but I'm noticing its hard to get much in calories - I'm thinking I'm not taking in enough but scared to increase... I'm not taking in junk - I'm following the recommended diet. Hoping when I can increase the exercise in a few days things will improve but open to suggestions. Maybe I just need someone to slap me. Who knows. :(

Hi Feather,.............. We all have been where you are. Not sure if you have been told why the need to lose some weight before surgery............when we are overweight, one place that fat accumulates is around our liver which is right next to the stomach....so to lose some weight before surgery, makes it much safer because some of that fat around the liver will disappear. The post surgery eating plan, for me, intially I wasn't hungry(first 2 weeks), others were, just saying I wasn't. So when I got to the stage past clear liquids(4-7 days post surgery), cream soup, protein shakes, and drinkable yogart taste really good....although, the only protein shake I have ever not gagged back up is Slim Fast. That time seems long but it goes by really fast. Remember soft foods includes things like salmon, tuna, basically any food that doesn't require lots of chewing. Try to stick to cold water fish like salmon(the Pacific Wild Salmon, the other from Alantic is farmed and not as tasty), the cold water fish and seafood are much higher in protein and low in fat(plus some really good fats like Omega's)..............I found frozen 4oz salmon fillets at the market and they cook in microwave in about 2.5 minutes. I did initially lose quite a bit of weight(20lbs) in those first weeks pre and post op.......mostly I think because I no longer was drinking Pepsi, and I'm satisified with much smaller portions. High protein and getting the 64oz of water is really important. So if I lose one or 2 or even 1/2 a lb a week is more than I did pre surgery. That;s why I got the surgery, needed the tool to help me along. I will tell you WLS isn't the magic bullet, it is an effective tool, if you stick to the rules that come with any WLS. We all have learned to adjust because we want to end up not being overweight. Stick close to this the forum, we are here to support each other on our WL journey. Someone will have dealth with whatever you're expereincing. So be sure to ask those questions even when they seem silly to you. Voice your feelings, we will know what you are talking about. I am just coming out of a stall(aka plateau) and what helped was reading other's posts....going back to the basics like food journal, making or exceeding the 64oz of water, and the higher intakes of protein. Hang in all those feelings you have are totally normal. Cheers, K:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Feather,.............. We all have been where you are. Not sure if you have been told why the need to lose some weight before surgery............when we are overweight, one place that fat accumulates is around our liver which is right next to the stomach....so to lose some weight before surgery, makes it much safer because some of that fat around the liver will disappear. The post surgery eating plan, for me, intially I wasn't hungry(first 2 weeks), others were, just saying I wasn't. So when I got to the stage past clear liquids(4-7 days post surgery), cream soup, protein shakes, and drinkable yogart taste really good....although, the only protein shake I have ever not gagged back up is Slim Fast. That time seems long but it goes by really fast. Remember soft foods includes things like salmon, tuna, basically any food that doesn't require lots of chewing. Try to stick to cold water fish like salmon(the Pacific Wild Salmon, the other from Alantic is farmed and not as tasty), the cold water fish and seafood are much higher in protein and low in fat(plus some really good fats like Omega's)..............I found frozen 4oz salmon fillets at the market and they cook in microwave in about 2.5 minutes. I did initially lose quite a bit of weight(20lbs) in those first weeks pre and post op.......mostly I think because I no longer was drinking Pepsi, and I'm satisified with much smaller portions. High protein and getting the 64oz of water is really important. So if I lose one or 2 or even 1/2 a lb a week is more than I did pre surgery. That;s why I got the surgery, needed the tool to help me along. I will tell you WLS isn't the magic bullet, it is an effective tool, if you stick to the rules that come with any WLS. We all have learned to adjust because we want to end up not being overweight. Stick close to this the forum, we are here to support each other on our WL journey. Someone will have dealth with whatever you're expereincing. So be sure to ask those questions even when they seem silly to you. Voice your feelings, we will know what you are talking about. I am just coming out of a stall(aka plateau) and what helped was reading other's posts....going back to the basics like food journal, making or exceeding the 64oz of water, and the higher intakes of protein. Hang in all those feelings you have are totally normal. Cheers, K:)

Hi ..........It's ok, hang in, we all loose weight at different rates............I know in the first few weeks after my plication, I had such a hard time getting anywhere near the 64oz/day of water............I think I was over 2 months before I could get it all in each day, and even now, there are days I miss the mark. Our bodies go in to shock after any surgery............remember the body goes in to fasting mode when our calorie intake drops.......hang in, it will get better. Heck I hit a plateau and I did exactly what I swore I wouldn't do............on those scales and if they didn't go down my mood such did...........I was reminded to keep in mind there are non scale victories..........things will get better.

Here is another area to watch. I know I am insulin resistant because when I gained weight I became an apple shaped person. I have a hard time even eating fruit. When we are insulin resistant, anytime we eat even the smallest amounts of sugar in fruit or bread or jam or whatever, we retain water and every sugar calorie practically is converted to fat. There are many things we have to be aware of now that made us gain weight to begin with. I'm starting to be extra diligent and it will be easier when I can eat more foods.

Sharon

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd better post a follow up to this since it may be discouraging for those out there reading these posts and considering plication. I'm now 9 weeks post-plication and while I was feeling a little discouraged when I first posted here, I've realized I'm doing just fine. I'm down almost 30lbs since my surgery - that's not including the 17lbs I lost on the pre-op diet. So nearly 50 lbs in 11 weeks really isn't bad! I'm off my blood pressure pills, I'm sleeping better, I don't snore anymore and I have more energy. Most importantly my eating habits are dramatically improved and I don't have cravings for the junk I don't need. I am satisfied on a much smaller amount of food. The exercise is still an adjustment for me but I try to keep at it - I feel better and it gets a little easier every day (it's embarrassing how out of shape I was)!

All in all I'm so happy I made the decision for the plication - Dr. Ortiz was right when he said the surgery is a tool to help us lose the weight - we still have to put the effort into it. But it sure makes it easier!

Wishing everyone continued success!!

Yolanda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I had my plication surgery on March 29/11 in TJ with Dr.Ortiz and Dr. Martinez and to date I have lost 36 lbs. It came off quickly at first now it has slowed down but still going down and thats the main thing. I am now on regular food but very small portions. I find it is almost impossible to over eat as I feel very full and if you try to eat more than you should you start to feel sick ( which is good ).I find fruit and veggies are easier to eat as to meat but I have small portions which make it easier, my granddaughter (6 ) can eat more than me.The only side affect I have is the heartburn ... its mostly at night but not every night so I have to sleep with 2 pillows to keep me elevated but the heartburn meds I receieved from Dr. Ortiz work very well.Other than the heartburn and nausea ( 1st two days ) I have had no pain or other side effects and I am very happy I took the plunge and had the surgery. I live in Canada and I heard they did the surgery here but it was very very expensive as to going to TJ.

Plus this way my husband and I got a lil holiday out of our trip.I had the surgery on the tuesday and was out sightseeing on the thursday .I would recommend this surgery to anyone looking to lose weight.

• 3 months later...

Your words are comforting, but my problem is not hunger. It's the same thing that made me fat in the first place. Has anyone had to deal with the food addiction? Even though I'm not hungry I want to eat. And I do. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can control this monster?

Hey Beverly..I feel your pain..although I have not yet had my surgery (Oct 12th)...I am already worried about what will I turn to when I'm happy, sad, bored, whatever..if its no longer food...where am I am going to get that instant 'rush' to help sooth myself or to feel comfort..I would like to think oh maybe I'll become addicted to exercise...yea right!...not likely....but its really taking a moment to see why I need to be soothed? why do I need the rush? its more often than not..because I dont want to deal with whatever emotion at the time...its so easier said than done...I am just trying to stay connected with people that feel somewhat the same as myself or at least can relate....and just to take one day at a time...I've also gone to some OA meetings (Overeaters Anonymous)...althought it may not all apply to you..its a good place to find others dealing with the same issues. Hang in there!

• 3 months later...

I am encouraged by the fact that most of you have not had the quick loss of weight that I too expected post surgery. I have averaged 1-2 pounds per week since my Oct 1 plication. Yes, 25 pounds is good, but I thought it would be more like 3-4 pounds. It gets discouraging when even my friends haven't noticed. I have a long way to go and I am glad I found this site today. I now have friends in the same boat. and we will sail on to victory together!

• 1 month later...

Most of these posts are nearly a year old now....I'm just hoping someone will see this and we can start up a support chat. i am in need of assistance with my weight loss. I'm feeling depressed with the lack of weight lost since surgery on August 25, 2011. I have currently lost only 37 lbs. I did think the process would be quicker. In reading some of the encouraging old posts, I realize I am not doing everything I need to do. Especially the water intake. I MUST work on that. I also am to the point that I can eat anything in limited quantities. By ANYTHING, I mean just that. I have no restrictions whatsoever. I do get tummy aches if I over eat, but thats kinda rare. I feel uncomfortable daily in my stomach, not sure why.

I guess the truth is, I know the answers here to what I have to do, I just need encouragement and this forum may help me greatly IF I get a response and have someone to talk to.

• 1 month later...

I have to say that when I had the surgery I thought the weight would just melt off of me! haha... I was also AMAZED at how little you can eat without losing. I have been where you all are at and believe me it gets better. I had my plication last June and am now down 70 pounds... I appreciated that I didn't have the gaunt face, I lost gradually, and it gave my skin a chance to go back. Plication was the best decision I have ever made because it was a tool to help me, but really I was mentally ready for this journey. If you need support I would even go to a Weight watchers meeting, they give great ideas for meals and there is a feeling of support with others that are struggeling to loose weight. Best of luck to you!