How do you know if your band slipped?

Christall

HI, I was banded in May of 2008 and have lost 93 lbs and feel great! Last week, however, I was taking my daughters car seat out and I had a huge pain. I had a tough time walking or doing anything and it hurt to even touch my port. The pain lasted about an hour and then slowly disappeared. Has anyone else ever had this? I am worried that maybe my band has slipped? I have never had that kind of pain, not even after my surgery.

HI AngieB, I can eat and drink fine. I have had lots of reflux in the last two months and went to the doctor and I am on meds.

IMHO if you are eating and drinking okay, your band is pry ok. The reflux could be being caused by your band though....When you went to the Dr. did you see the Dr who cares for you and your band? What triggered your reflux.....did you have a bad PB or stuck episode with made your band swell by chance?

I've not been around for 1 year and to date have not heard of anyone slipping their band in the manor you are speaking of.....not saying it is not possible.....just I have not heard of it. Maybe a pulled muscle around the port...really I don't know.

If you are in pain and concerned I would consult the Dr who sees you for the lapband after care. As always you can call the OCC and talk to one of the Dr.s there. There is one on call 24-7. I'd call and talk to someone there...

IMHO if you are eating and drinking okay, your band is pry ok. The reflux could be being caused by your band though....When you went to the Dr. did you see the Dr who cares for you and your band? What triggered your reflux.....did you have a bad PB or stuck episode with made your band swell by chance?

I've not been around for 1 year and to date have not heard of anyone slipping their band in the manor you are speaking of.....not saying it is not possible.....just I have not heard of it. Maybe a pulled muscle around the port...really I don't know.

If you are in pain and concerned I would consult the Dr who sees you for the lapband after care. As always you can call the OCC and talk to one of the Dr.s there. There is one on call 24-7. I'd call and talk to someone there...

I think I have slipped as well. I have been in pain the last week when I eat. I can feel the place where it passes and I am ok if I eat soft stuff and go slow. My Gastro guy told me that if I had pain when eating I probably had a slip. I am having a scope done next week and he said that he would be able to tell pretty much immediately. That being said, I am having terrible reflux and meds don't seem to help much. I think I might have a sluggish esophogus as well. I have been banded for almost 2 years and have lost over 80lbs. I am so thrilled and so scared of gaining the weight back. My gastro guy also told me that if I had a slip I would probably have to have it removed.

Are there any other things that could cause pain when eating? And what are the other options (outside of removal) for a slip?

Thanks - Tobi

I think I have slipped as well. I have been in pain the last week when I eat. I can feel the place where it passes and I am ok if I eat soft stuff and go slow. My Gastro guy told me that if I had pain when eating I probably had a slip. I am having a scope done next week and he said that he would be able to tell pretty much immediately. That being said, I am having terrible reflux and meds don't seem to help much. I think I might have a sluggish esophogus as well. I have been banded for almost 2 years and have lost over 80lbs. I am so thrilled and so scared of gaining the weight back. My gastro guy also told me that if I had a slip I would probably have to have it removed.

Are there any other things that could cause pain when eating? And what are the other options (outside of removal) for a slip?

Thanks - Tobi

Hi Toby-sorry to hear of your problems. I understand the Dr, Ortiz says removal is his option, but there is a surgeon I found that fixes band slips. I have some of his videos on my you tube page under the lab band video folder. He videop taped himself repairing a slipped band. I really believe he is good at his job like ortiz is. Check it out.

Angie

Thanks - Tobi

Tobi

This is a terrific website from a dr. down in TJ about the symptoms of slippage

<http://arturorodriguezmd.com/lap-band-slippage-causes-and-prevention>

I don't see a doctor here who did my band because I live in Canada and where I live there are no bariatric surgeons, but my doctor is aware that I am a bandster and fully supportive. I have not had the pain back since that one episode...so I am not panicing, I will seek what the next few weeks bring and I might need to go for another fill just.