Never put uncooked steel cut oats in your smoothie!!!!

petrafarmer

Ok ladies and gents, I am experimenting with smoothie recipes. Let me just tell you to NEVER put uncooked steel cut oats into your smoothie. Regular rolled oats are soft but steel cuts are hard little kernels. They don't soften up in the mixing! I like my smoothies a little thicker so I feel as though there is something in my stomach and I like the creaminess of oats. I have learned my lesson though...I will cook them first!LOL

I've never used "steel cut oats" before. I usually just use regular quaker oats for my smoothie. I have used Coach's Oats before and they are a little more crunchy. Those also worked fine in the blender and didn't conflict with my smoothie. I also have never tried using cooked oats in my smoothie. how does that taste?

No, steel cut.

Steel-cut oats are whole grain oats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces by steel rather than being rolled. They are golden in color and resemble small rice pieces.

Steel-cut oats are also known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, or Irish oats. This form of oats takes longer to prepare than instant or rolled oats due to its minimal processing, typically 15-30 minutes to simmer (much less if pre-soaked). The flavor of the cooked product is described as being chewier and nuttier than instant oats.

Scottish Oats or Scottish Oatmeal are sometimes confused with steel-cut oats. Scottish Oats are steamed steel-cut oats that are then ground by stones into an oat meal.

Steel-cut oats may have a lower glycemic index than instant oatmeal (42 vs. 66, respectively), causing a lesser spike in insulin levels when consumed.

• 1 year later...

You may pulverize them in a powerful blender until powdered to pretreat them. I use a Vitamix it is very pricey but I have used it for 25 trs and it will do things no other blender will do so I feel it is cost efficient

• Like 1