:unsure:

hm. There are QUITE a few major health risks involved in smoking prior to surgery.

(well, regardless to surgery, but ..)

http://www.anesthesiologyinfo.com/articles/12012003.php

http://www.ontarioanesthesiologists.ca/stopsmoking/howwhen/

This is not just theory. There have been multiple studies confirming that smoking increases the incidence of pulmonary complications after an anesthetic as much as six times. Smoking has been shown to be an independent risk factor for complications ranging from complications of lung function to wound healing to cardiovascular events such as heart attack.

Yeah...I know its not a good thing to do...thanks for your reply, however I posted asking if anyone had not completely quit b/f surgery. I smoke a pack a week. I know it is not a healthy choice as is overeating, but it is not as bad as a pack or two a day habit. Hopefully I won't die of a heart attack on the table or have complications.

I know you asked ... "did anyone not quit" but when I was told to quit... I just stopped cold turkey. I was serious about getting healthy and I was not about to risk my life for a nasty cigarette. I've been smoke free for two years, and banded for 1 and two months. So do what you can girl... trust me you'll feel great after.

• 3 years later...

I know you asked ... "did anyone not quit" but when I was told to quit... I just stopped cold turkey. I was serious about getting healthy and I was not about to risk my life for a nasty ecigs. I've been smoke free for two years, and banded for 1 and two months. So do what you can girl... trust me you'll feel great after.

Well quitting smoking is not easy at all.. I am trying hard for sometime without much success..

• 2 months later...

Chantix worked really well for my mom. But you do have to commit to it. If you know that you had to make a complete lifestyle change, you should quit cold turkey. The medical necessity alone should scare you away from it. Otherwise, I always suggest seeking addiction counseling.

Blanket reply for smokers.

• 3 months later...

Yeah...I know its not a good thing to do...thanks for your reply, however I posted asking if anyone had not completely quit b/f surgery. I smoke a pack a week. I know it is not a healthy choice as is overeating, but it is not as bad as a pack or two a day habit. Hopefully I won't die of a heart attack on the table or have complications.

I can't answer as a current smoker when I had my surgery, but I did quit well before my surgery. The only help I can give you is this: if you are having trouble quitting smoking, then you will be setting yourself up for failure. This is an expensive lesson if you're not prepared both physically and mentally and emotionally. Any big change in your life requires your discipline. This was clear to me and why I quit completely before my surgery. How I quit smoking was to know that demons would come up to force my hand. I needed to have faith that my choice to quit was more important. This is why I've not smoked (after 30 years of actively smoking) for 25 years now. And why I've lost 95 lbs. with my surgery with OCC. I hope this helps you.