Is there a lot of excess skin once the weight has been lost?

blacdimin

Hi

I am a few days from my initial consultation. I have been researching the Lap Band for almost 6 months and I think I am ready. The question I have for those who are 9 months to a year and over post op. Do you find that after your weight loss you are left with unwanted sagging skin? I have a fear of losing the weight and being in a situation where I am even more unhappy with unwanted skin. I have not put aside any money for skin removal but if this is problem that I might have to face

I really may reconsider. Because that would be like fixing one problem only to gain another really big one.

I am presently 275 at 5ft 9 I know according to the ideal weight chart I should be somewhere between 150 and 160 but realistically I am aiming for 180 or 190 therefore I would be happy with a 80-85lb weight loss. I have heard excess skin is something even working out can't get rid of so of course I am scared of having this happen. Can anyone who is very close to their ideal weight shed some light in this area?

Hey Blacdimin,

Yes there usually is excess skin, depending on the elestically of your skin. And alot of that depends on your age. But excess skin is much better than fat. The excess skin can be covered with your clothes. Also after you reach your goal and stay there, some insurances cover skin removal in certain areas. Alot of it depends also on exercise and how tone your skin is to begin with.

I had surgery in Oct 2006, so I'm 9 months after surgery, I've lost 64 pounds and trying to get to my goal of 160. I am 5' 9".

Even with the excess skin, I would still do it all over again because excess skin is better that fat!!

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Blacdimin,

Yes there usually is excess skin, depending on the elestically of your skin. And alot of that depends on your age. But excess skin is much better than fat. The excess skin can be covered with your clothes. Also after you reach your goal and stay there, some insurances cover skin removal in certain areas. Alot of it depends also on exercise and how tone your skin is to begin with.

I had surgery in Oct 2006, so I'm 9 months after surgery, I've lost 64 pounds and trying to get to my goal of 160. I am 5' 9".

Even with the excess skin, I would still do it all over again because excess skin is better that fat!!

Good luck

I have to agree, extra skin is MUCH healthier than extra fat! I'd rather be alive with some extra skin than dead from a heart attack. My surgery is in five days, I'm hoping to lose 100 pounds. Hopefully, because I'm in my early 30's and I have a good family history, I'll still have some elasticity left. But I've had kids, so I KNOW there is a tummy tuck in my future, and maybe a lift here or there...lol. And I'm going to be exercising like a crazy person! You've gotta look at it from a health standpoint as well as, or even instead of, a looks thing. Just weigh out (no pun intended) your risks vs. rewards and you'll find the answer thats right for you. Good Luck!!!!!

I'm just shy of a year out, have lost 70 pounds and am pleasantly surprised at the amount of sagging skin. I'm 45 so no spring chicken amd I have exercised quite a bit, but most of the exercise hasn't been in the area of the excess skin. I think going slow really does help. I guess the last 30-40 pounds will be the true indicator if the skin will disappear or not. with 30-40 pounds to go, there is still fat around the skin to give it some shape and not totally sag.

I'll keep ya posted:)

Tom