Diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia, can I still get a Lap-Band?

Hello

I was just diagnosed with a Hital Hernia (HH) which concerned me. :(( I am wondering if any of you fellow Lap-Banders' had or have a HH and still went through the Lap-Band (LB) surgery or did Dr. Ortiz refuse to go through the LB surgery due to the HH? What are the pros and cons and your experiences of having a HH along with the LP?... Does the HH eventually go away?

Thank you again for your help.

><'

I didn't even know I had a hiatal hernia, and my Doctor removed it during my Lap-Band surgery. One of my friends also had it removed during her band surgery. I was told that it is actually very common to have a hiatal hernia removed during band surgery, Something about the location! Only thing different for me was a horrible pain in my shoulders a couple of weeks after surgery that was caused by drinking liquids too fast, needless to say I lived on popsicles!

Don't stress it, I am now 4 months post-op, and doing great!

Good luck & Best wishes! ;)

Here's MY story-

For about a year I had this numbness under my left breast I had ultra sound done & chest x-rays to see what was going on, They found nothing. It wasn’t that bad so I just paid No attention to it cause all my blood work came back fine too. This Feb the numbness was still there Only stronger. Again Back to the doctor once again blood work fine, Chest x ray fine, mammogram - Fine, 2 nerve test, Nothing, 2 MRI’s - nothing - Knowing I was going to be band & knowing that nothing could be found wrong with me I said to hell with it again - And just let it go...

I get to Dr. O - I go under as I wake up - I’m told I had a HH and Dr.O fixed it before he Band me............. I have NOT had any numbness what so ever & have NOT taken any Anti-acid.

Here's MY story-

For about a year I had this numbness under my left breast I had ultra sound done & chest x-rays to see what was going on, They found nothing. It wasn't that bad so I just paid No attention to it cause all my blood work came back fine too. This Feb the numbness was still there Only stronger. Again Back to the doctor once again blood work fine, Chest x ray fine, mammogram - Fine, 2 nerve test, Nothing, 2 MRI's - nothing - Knowing I was going to be band & knowing that nothing could be found wrong with me I said to hell with it again - And just let it go...

I get to Dr. O - I go under as I wake up - I'm told I had a HH and Dr.O fixed it before he Band me............. I have NOT had any numbness what so ever & have NOT taken any Anti-acid.

Shrty835, Cjen, Nicolek, shiney42.......Ladies, thank you so much for sharing your personal info... I feel so much better know that I am not alone!... Shiney42 I have pain under my right breast and they can't find anything... I wonder if it has anything to do with HH!!??!

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, whew!!!!

Bella ><'

I never knew I had one, but I did and Dr. Ortiz repaired it in surgery. I dont think you have anything to worry about. I had gone to the ER twice thinking I was having heart pain. They always sent me home with nothing wrong with me. I am so thankful that Dr. O repaired it, no more pain! :)

The doctor who did lap band on one of my friends discovered he also had a hiatel hernia during surgerya nd repaired it. The good news for him was that originally he was going to have to pay the entire cost of the surgery, but due to the hernia insurance ended up covering some of the fees so he only had to pay a portion of the surgery. I prayed they would find a hernia in me, but it didn't happen so I had to pay the entire amount myself - oh well, not everyone can be so lucky. :)