How do you know if your band slipped?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Christall

Christall

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

HI, I was banded in May of 2008 and have lost 93 lbs and feel great! Last week, however, I was taking my daughters car seat out and I had a huge pain. I had a tough time walking or doing anything and it hurt to even touch my port. The pain lasted about an hour and then slowly disappeared. Has anyone else ever had this? I am worried that maybe my band has slipped? I have never had that kind of pain, not even after my surgery.
Christall
Age 36
Banded on May 22, 2008 by Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center
2.8cc's in my band
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wI7kEYj/]
Posted Image
[/url]

#2 AngieB

AngieB

Supreme Member

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

Are you able to eat or drink okay? Having any reflux issues?
BMI 45.2 Surgery date 4/24/09
Weight pre-surgery 279.8 - Pre-op diet 265 > 14.8 lbs (5% = 15 lbs) - Post-op diet 262 - Current 229
Total fill 2.4 cc's in a 4 cc Alergan band.

My AVON website! www.youravon.com/aboyd5133

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission."
"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon." ~ Unknown

Please visit my profile page to learn more about me.

#3 Christall

Christall

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

Are you able to eat or drink okay? Having any reflux issues?

HI AngieB, I can eat and drink fine. I have had lots of reflux in the last two months and went to the doctor and I am on meds.
Christall
Age 36
2.8cc's in my band
Posted Image
[/url]

#4 AngieB

AngieB

Supreme Member

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

HI AngieB, I can eat and drink fine. I have had lots of reflux in the last two months and went to the doctor and I am on meds.

IMHO if you are eating and drinking okay, your band is pry ok. The reflux could be being caused by your band though....When you went to the Dr. did you see the Dr who cares for you and your band? What triggered your reflux.....did you have a bad PB or stuck episode with made your band swell by chance?

I've not been around for 1 year and to date have not heard of anyone slipping their band in the manor you are speaking of.....not saying it is not possible.....just I have not heard of it. Maybe a pulled muscle around the port...really I don't know.

If you are in pain and concerned I would consult the Dr who sees you for the lapband after care. As always you can call the OCC and talk to one of the Dr.s there. There is one on call 24-7. I'd call and talk to someone there...
Weight pre-surgery 279.8 - Pre-op diet 265 > 14.8 lbs (5% = 15 lbs) - Post-op diet 262 - Current 229

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon." ~ Unknown

#5 Coskinnygirl

Coskinnygirl

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

IMHO if you are eating and drinking okay, your band is pry ok. The reflux could be being caused by your band though....When you went to the Dr. did you see the Dr who cares for you and your band? What triggered your reflux.....did you have a bad PB or stuck episode with made your band swell by chance?

I've not been around for 1 year and to date have not heard of anyone slipping their band in the manor you are speaking of.....not saying it is not possible.....just I have not heard of it. Maybe a pulled muscle around the port...really I don't know.

If you are in pain and concerned I would consult the Dr who sees you for the lapband after care. As always you can call the OCC and talk to one of the Dr.s there. There is one on call 24-7. I'd call and talk to someone there...

I think I have slipped as well. I have been in pain the last week when I eat. I can feel the place where it passes and I am ok if I eat soft stuff and go slow. My Gastro guy told me that if I had pain when eating I probably had a slip. I am having a scope done next week and he said that he would be able to tell pretty much immediately. That being said, I am having terrible reflux and meds don't seem to help much. I think I might have a sluggish esophogus as well. I have been banded for almost 2 years and have lost over 80lbs. I am so thrilled and so scared of gaining the weight back. My gastro guy also told me that if I had a slip I would probably have to have it removed.

Are there any other things that could cause pain when eating? And what are the other options (outside of removal) for a slip?

Thanks - Tobi

#6 AngieB

AngieB

Supreme Member

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

I think I have slipped as well. I have been in pain the last week when I eat. I can feel the place where it passes and I am ok if I eat soft stuff and go slow. My Gastro guy told me that if I had pain when eating I probably had a slip. I am having a scope done next week and he said that he would be able to tell pretty much immediately. That being said, I am having terrible reflux and meds don't seem to help much. I think I might have a sluggish esophogus as well. I have been banded for almost 2 years and have lost over 80lbs. I am so thrilled and so scared of gaining the weight back. My gastro guy also told me that if I had a slip I would probably have to have it removed.

Are there any other things that could cause pain when eating? And what are the other options (outside of removal) for a slip?

Thanks - Tobi

Hi Toby-sorry to hear of your problems. I understand the Dr, Ortiz says removal is his option, but there is a surgeon I found that fixes band slips. I have some of his videos on my you tube page under the lab band video folder. He videop taped himself repairing a slipped band. I really believe he is good at his job like ortiz is. Check it out.

Angie

#7 LisaLaw

LisaLaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

Thanks - Tobi

Tobi
This is a terrific website from a dr. down in TJ about the symptoms of slippage

<http://arturorodrigu...and-prevention>
I forget what it is like to have my booty back! It is cute too!

height: 5"9
highest weight: 230 lbs - size 16
OCC surgery date: 9/15/08

Current: 165 lbs - I just bought a pair of 7 For All Mankind Skinny Jeans and they look hot even with 35 lbs more still to lose. I have learned to listen to my body and that is priceless!

Goal: 135-140 lbs
wanting my bodyfat under 22%, so whatever weight that gets me to

Posted Image

#8 Christall

Christall

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

I don't see a doctor here who did my band because I live in Canada and where I live there are no bariatric surgeons, but my doctor is aware that I am a bandster and fully supportive. I have not had the pain back since that one episode...so I am not panicing, I will seek what the next few weeks bring and I might need to go for another fill just.
Christall
Age 36
2.8cc's in my band
Posted Image
[/url]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users