Feeling down, progress slow since Plication on March 14th

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 babe1997

babe1997

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

try not to get discouraged......I may go a week and not loose and then loose 5 or 6 pounds in a week. Our bodies are all different and we will get there! So cheer up and know the weight will come off.
Good luck!

#17 ktb2904

ktb2904

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi ..........It's ok, hang in, we all loose weight at different rates............I know in the first few weeks after my plication, I had such a hard time getting anywhere near the 64oz/day of water............I think I was over 2 months before I could get it all in each day, and even now, there are days I miss the mark. Our bodies go in to shock after any surgery............remember the body goes in to fasting mode when our calorie intake drops.......hang in, it will get better. Heck I hit a plateau and I did exactly what I swore I wouldn't do............on those scales and if they didn't go down my mood such did...........I was reminded to keep in mind there are non scale victories..........things will get better.

#18 MyDove

MyDove

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:03 AM

Here is another area to watch. I know I am insulin resistant because when I gained weight I became an apple shaped person. I have a hard time even eating fruit. When we are insulin resistant, anytime we eat even the smallest amounts of sugar in fruit or bread or jam or whatever, we retain water and every sugar calorie practically is converted to fat. There are many things we have to be aware of now that made us gain weight to begin with. I'm starting to be extra diligent and it will be easier when I can eat more foods.

Sharon

#19 tx1972

tx1972

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

Thought I'd better post a follow up to this since it may be discouraging for those out there reading these posts and considering plication. I'm now 9 weeks post-plication and while I was feeling a little discouraged when I first posted here, I've realized I'm doing just fine. I'm down almost 30lbs since my surgery - that's not including the 17lbs I lost on the pre-op diet. So nearly 50 lbs in 11 weeks really isn't bad! I'm off my blood pressure pills, I'm sleeping better, I don't snore anymore and I have more energy. Most importantly my eating habits are dramatically improved and I don't have cravings for the junk I don't need. I am satisfied on a much smaller amount of food. The exercise is still an adjustment for me but I try to keep at it - I feel better and it gets a little easier every day (it's embarrassing how out of shape I was)!

All in all I'm so happy I made the decision for the plication - Dr. Ortiz was right when he said the surgery is a tool to help us lose the weight - we still have to put the effort into it. But it sure makes it easier!

Wishing everyone continued success!!
Yolanda
1/18/11 Highest Weight: 291 lb
2/24/11 Decision Weight: 286 lb
3/14/11 Surgery Weight: 269 lb
3/14/11 Gastric Plication (Dr. Ortiz)
5/23/11 11 weeks post-op: 240 lb
10/3/11 30 weeks post op: 213 lb
3/14/12 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!! 204 lbs

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8T41Tg/]
Posted Image

#20 Teresa

Teresa

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:19 AM

Hi there, I had my plication surgery on March 29/11 in TJ with Dr.Ortiz and Dr. Martinez and to date I have lost 36 lbs. It came off quickly at first now it has slowed down but still going down and thats the main thing. I am now on regular food but very small portions. I find it is almost impossible to over eat as I feel very full and if you try to eat more than you should you start to feel sick ( which is good ).I find fruit and veggies are easier to eat as to meat but I have small portions which make it easier, my granddaughter (6 ) can eat more than me.The only side affect I have is the heartburn ... its mostly at night but not every night so I have to sleep with 2 pillows to keep me elevated but the heartburn meds I receieved from Dr. Ortiz work very well.Other than the heartburn and nausea ( 1st two days ) I have had no pain or other side effects and I am very happy I took the plunge and had the surgery. I live in Canada and I heard they did the surgery here but it was very very expensive as to going to TJ.
Plus this way my husband and I got a lil holiday out of our trip.I had the surgery on the tuesday and was out sightseeing on the thursday .I would recommend this surgery to anyone looking to lose weight.

#21 beverly

beverly

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

Your words are comforting, but my problem is not hunger. It's the same thing that made me fat in the first place. Has anyone had to deal with the food addiction? Even though I'm not hungry I want to eat. And I do. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can control this monster?
●●●●●●●

#22 tx40

tx40

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hey Beverly..I feel your pain..although I have not yet had my surgery (Oct 12th)...I am already worried about what will I turn to when I'm happy, sad, bored, whatever..if its no longer food...where am I am going to get that instant 'rush' to help sooth myself or to feel comfort..I would like to think oh maybe I'll become addicted to exercise...yea right!...not likely....but its really taking a moment to see why I need to be soothed? why do I need the rush? its more often than not..because I dont want to deal with whatever emotion at the time...its so easier said than done...I am just trying to stay connected with people that feel somewhat the same as myself or at least can relate....and just to take one day at a time...I've also gone to some OA meetings (Overeaters Anonymous)...althought it may not all apply to you..its a good place to find others dealing with the same issues. Hang in there!

#23 thelibrarylady

thelibrarylady

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

I am encouraged by the fact that most of you have not had the quick loss of weight that I too expected post surgery. I have averaged 1-2 pounds per week since my Oct 1 plication. Yes, 25 pounds is good, but I thought it would be more like 3-4 pounds. It gets discouraging when even my friends haven't noticed. I have a long way to go and I am glad I found this site today. I now have friends in the same boat. and we will sail on to victory together!

#24 Feather

Feather

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

Most of these posts are nearly a year old now....I'm just hoping someone will see this and we can start up a support chat. i am in need of assistance with my weight loss. I'm feeling depressed with the lack of weight lost since surgery on August 25, 2011. I have currently lost only 37 lbs. I did think the process would be quicker. In reading some of the encouraging old posts, I realize I am not doing everything I need to do. Especially the water intake. I MUST work on that. I also am to the point that I can eat anything in limited quantities. By ANYTHING, I mean just that. I have no restrictions whatsoever. I do get tummy aches if I over eat, but thats kinda rare. I feel uncomfortable daily in my stomach, not sure why.
I guess the truth is, I know the answers here to what I have to do, I just need encouragement and this forum may help me greatly IF I get a response and have someone to talk to.

#25 Jillisjoyful

Jillisjoyful

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have to say that when I had the surgery I thought the weight would just melt off of me! haha... I was also AMAZED at how little you can eat without losing. I have been where you all are at and believe me it gets better. I had my plication last June and am now down 70 pounds... I appreciated that I didn't have the gaunt face, I lost gradually, and it gave my skin a chance to go back. Plication was the best decision I have ever made because it was a tool to help me, but really I was mentally ready for this journey. If you need support I would even go to a Weight watchers meeting, they give great ideas for meals and there is a feeling of support with others that are struggeling to loose weight. Best of luck to you!

#26 tx1972

tx1972

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

It has been a while since I checked in here, and after reading my past posts and others who have been up and down on their journey, I thought I should share my progress just to reassure you that it might be slow but the destination is still the same. I am down a total of 86lbs since deciding on gastric plication. I started as a size 22/24 and am now a 14. Regardless of the amount of weight or change in appearance, it is the improvement in how I feel that reassures me that I made the right decision. So don't give up, don't get down - there will be days where you will slip up and not follow your diet properly, days where you skip the exercise and yes, the emotional eating may remain a challenge. But if you just put yourself first and remember that we all set out on this journey because we felt we were at the end of our rope, you might be able to motivate yourself to keep pushing forward. I hate to put photos of myself online but I know how much it helped me when I saw others share their before and after (or before & during) photos so here goes - uploading to my gallery on my profile!

I hope it helps someone out there who is feeling defeated. I started this thread a while back because I was feeling discouraged - thank you to those who were kind enough to encourage me to keep trying.
1/18/11 Highest Weight: 291 lb
2/24/11 Decision Weight: 286 lb
3/14/11 Surgery Weight: 269 lb
3/14/11 Gastric Plication (Dr. Ortiz)
5/23/11 11 weeks post-op: 240 lb
10/3/11 30 weeks post op: 213 lb
3/14/12 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!! 204 lbs

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8T41Tg/]
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users