Plication - would you do it again?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 beverly

beverly

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

I would have the plication done again in a heartbeat. I had mine 7/5/11 and although it's been 4 months and all I've lost is 31 lbs. It is till more than I would have lost on my own. My only concern is that I've read somewhere on here that you only lose for 6 months. I think it was Dr. Ortiz that said it. I'm wondering what do I do in 2 months?
●●●●●●●

#17 Suzi

Suzi

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I would not do it again. I had my plication done Nov/2010. In March/2011 I had a revision as stomach was stilll too big. At that time I could only eat 1/3 of what I had been eating prior to Nov. I was very happy and optomistic. To this date I have lost ZERO pounds. I do not drink calories or eat sugar. If I had it to do all over again I would just do the gastric bypass. I have had quite a few friends go with that proceedure and all of them have been successful. Plus, now my doctor says I have type 2 diabetes. I'm very discouraged.

#18 MovinSue

MovinSue

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hello Plicators-I am a Dec 1 patient; weighed in at 193 and 13 weeks later am at 168 with no complications or complaints. I did not come to the procedure with "numbers" as my goal--only the return of physical comfort and mobility and perhaps freedom from fear of continuing weight gain despite declining food intake. If I do not lose one more pound, I am still a Happy Camper as my goals have been met. And, the weight loss continues s l o w l y. Despite small food volume, I may be eating near my maintenance calorie baseline.

My yardstick to compare plication: a miserable, lifelong failed history of repetitive dieting and compulsive exercising--a near miss for an eating disorder. So, I guess I would have to compare plication with the only alternative based on current experience--continued age-related weight gain pounding on my hip replacement, altering my mobility and making it impossible to continue aerobic exercise. I have a very small bone structure and at my highest weight of 200, I was in pain, miserable and could no longer walk all the aisles at Walmart in one trip.

YES, I would do the plication over again!

I am disturbed to hear that OCC would remove negative posts; it is one thing to not like a negative post but that is what Forum moderators are for--to identify and clarify problems expressed as negative outcomes and appropriately probe the post or, in some circumstances, remove it. But, it is quite another level of intervention to delete all negative posts. Negative posts have the greatest potential to help people understand the process and accurately identify and solve problems. And, I am instinctly suspicious when all I hear or read is Rah Rah. No one is naive enough to think that there is no one out there with a failed or troublesome plication. One would hope that the patient would go first to OCC before making a negative post. I hope that this report is MIS-information and that OCC is appropriately moderating members' posts.
"Adapt or Die"

#19 shoppin4me08

shoppin4me08

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Having the plication was the best decision I could of ever made. Pre-surgery I was 203 pounds and miserable. 14 weeks later I'm down to 161 pounds and feeling great. I have more energy and a new outlook on life. It is definitely a personal decision as to which procedure a person chooses. I did not want to remove any part of my stomach, therefore I chose the plication. I have had very few problems, the main one being "gas." Gas-X and walking usually resolves this issue. I highly recommend the OCC and the gastric plication procedure.

#20 Jillisjoyful

Jillisjoyful

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm super happy with the plication procedure!! I had my plication last June (2011) and have lost 70lbs. I would do it over in a heart beat! The facility was clean, the doctors and staff professional and I had an easy recovery. I didn't have any problems post surgery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users