Constipation and hemroids after surgery

Hello! I got banded 10-26-06 and have done very well with my weight loss thus far. I have had a little evil friend from the past revisit me twice though since my band was placed. Hemroids!! I haven't had them since I was last pregnant 7 years ago. I am getting hit hard now with pain pain pain. I went to the doctor in May and got really no relief except to say I have a clotted internal hemroid and to not get constipated. Well after 1 week of horrible pain it went away as fast as it hit. Now tonight I was yet again constiapted after not having a bowel movement in 3 days and (sorry for the gross detail but I really need to know if you guys have ever experienced this) I had to actually assist myself in going if you know what i mean. Well to my surprise my hand was covered in blood! Know my hemeroid is bleeding and I am kinda scared. I eat so little what can I do to stay regular?? Does yogurt work? Anything I can take on daily basis? Anybody out there with the same problems please give me some advise.

ps. I had my band adjusted for the 2nd time in May and it is a little tight. I went to Dr. Maese in Dallas. I am thinking about going back to the OCC to have it loosened a bit.

Thanks! Teresa

SW = 256 lbs.

Weight day of surgery 10-26-06 = 244 lbs

1st fill 12-12-06 = 246 lbs

2nd fill 05-16-07 = 200 lbs

CW = 187 lbs )-69 lbs lost

GW - 150 lbs

Teresa,

I have the same problem. You just need to find a laxative that works well with you. Some are too strong, some don't seem to work at all. Also remember the water helps 100% in keeping you from getting conspitated. But it's not the same as just drinking it when you get that way, you have to drink the water to keep from getting conspitated. Hopefully, if you get that under control the hemroids will not show their ugly side. Good luck!!

Kathy

Hello! I got banded 10-26-06 and have done very well with my weight loss thus far. I have had a little evil friend from the past revisit me twice though since my band was placed. Hemroids!! I haven't had them since I was last pregnant 7 years ago. I am getting hit hard now with pain pain pain. I went to the doctor in May and got really no relief except to say I have a clotted internal hemroid and to not get constipated. Well after 1 week of horrible pain it went away as fast as it hit. Now tonight I was yet again constiapted after not having a bowel movement in 3 days and (sorry for the gross detail but I really need to know if you guys have ever experienced this) I had to actually assist myself in going if you know what i mean. Well to my surprise my hand was covered in blood! Know my hemeroid is bleeding and I am kinda scared. I eat so little what can I do to stay regular?? Does yogurt work? Anything I can take on daily basis? Anybody out there with the same problems please give me some advise.

ps. I had my band adjusted for the 2nd time in May and it is a little tight. I went to Dr. Maese in Dallas. I am thinking about going back to the OCC to have it loosened a bit.

Thanks! Teresa

SW = 256 lbs.

Weight day of surgery 10-26-06 = 244 lbs

1st fill 12-12-06 = 246 lbs

2nd fill 05-16-07 = 200 lbs

CW = 187 lbs )-69 lbs lost

GW - 150 lbs

Hi Teresa,

Even for "normal" people, it is hard to get in all the vegetables and fruits needed in a day. I would imagine it is even harder for those of us who are banded. I take a product called Juice Plus, that is whole fruits and vegetables in capsule form. You might try it to see how it works. I take 2 capsules in the morning and two at night and it gives me 5-9 servings of veggie and fruit per day. You get all the nutrients, antioxidents and even fiber. Taking it doen't mean you don't have to EAT fruits and veggies....it is a supplement not a substitute, but the benefits of getting enough fruits and veggies are astounding, including helping keep you "regular". Also, it is an all-natural solution to your problem. I think their website is juiceplus.com

Good luck!

Hi Teresa,

Even for "normal" people, it is hard to get in all the vegetables and fruits needed in a day. I would imagine it is even harder for those of us who are banded. I take a product called Juice Plus, that is whole fruits and vegetables in capsule form. You might try it to see how it works. I take 2 capsules in the morning and two at night and it gives me 5-9 servings of veggie and fruit per day. You get all the nutrients, antioxidents and even fiber. Taking it doen't mean you don't have to EAT fruits and veggies....it is a supplement not a substitute, but the benefits of getting enough fruits and veggies are astounding, including helping keep you "regular". Also, it is an all-natural solution to your problem. I think their website is juiceplus.com

Good luck!

hey, how long after surgery are you able to drink alcohol again? if someone has an idea and could let me know that would be great! Thanks

Krystal Weber

I don't have a band yet, but I have found the supplement MSM helps with chronic constipation if taken regularly. MSM is usually taken for joint strength, like glucosamine and condroitin. But it seems to act as a laxative as a side effect. When I diet I always have trouble with constipation from the reduced food intake, and taking MSM seems to counteract that unpleasant result.

I would check with your doctor before taking it, as I am no health care professional and don't know if there is anything about having the band that would preclude taking MSM.

I don't have a band yet, but I have found the supplement MSM helps with chronic constipation if taken regularly. MSM is usually taken for joint strength, like glucosamine and condroitin. But it seems to act as a laxative as a side effect. When I diet I always have trouble with constipation from the reduced food intake, and taking MSM seems to counteract that unpleasant result.

I would check with your doctor before taking it, as I am no health care professional and don't know if there is anything about having the band that would preclude taking MSM.

Thank you all for help. I will try each of your comments and let you know what works best for me. As for alcohol.. I drink on occasion and my drink of choice is light orange juice with Grey Goose. It is the easiest on my stomach and only 2 will get me feeling good. Haven't had a beer or any soda since surgery. Once you let it go it is best not to even dabble I believe. It only opens up that pandoras box and I don't want to have to battle the diet coke addiction again. I used to drink coffee with that fiber supplement that dissolves tasteless but coffee seems to be real hard on stomach in the morning so I haven't drank it anymore and that tasteless fiber supplement on dissolves really well in warm drinks. I don't really like warm tea either. I will defientely try the msm and the veg. capsules and I have uped my water intake by at least 2 - 3 times more than before but the downside is I pee all the time it seems like. Oh well better than being constipated. Thanks again for the help and support. Good luck fellow bandsters and god bless you all on this difficult yet rewarding journey!