Jazzy's 3rd fill

Hi All~

I went for my 3rd fill yesterday at OCC and Dr. Acosta put a .2cc fill in. I now have 1.8cc fill in my 4cc band.

At first, I thought ONLY a ".2"?!? For some reason, I felt like it was not worth the trip. Now, this time, he told me I am NOT eating enough calories, to again, UP my calorie intake, as I am doing daily cardio and strength/weights training every other day (knowing I need to have a rest in between strength days). I was ranging anywhere between 1200 to close to 1550 a day. So I need to revamp my daily menu accordingly. Right now, FOR ME (as everyone is different remember), he says I shouldn't do daily protein shakes, as I need to EAT the proteins as much as possible. I need to get into this routine habit to continue with my weight loss journey. But, when doing heavy core exercises, to have a one, but not daily.

Dr. Acosta was training a person to do fills, so lots of questions were asked so she knows how to reply/ask, etc. Again, no numbing rub or shot before he stuck me with a needle and I didn't really feel anything except the 'pressure' of him going in. He placed his fingers where my port was and spread apart to make my skin taunt and then announced he was going to insert the needle and that was it. He wrapped the sanitary cloth around the needle and proceeded the process with drinking the 'strawberry margarita'. It was still cool to see on the screen, my stomach and watching the fluids go down!

I asked a few questions and here's what he said:

~ Why only a ".2" fill? He said everyone is different and they use the fluoro to guide how much of a fill is enough. I previously had 1.6cc fill and he measured and I still had the same amount of saline in my band. My pouch was not stretch and all was ok ~ good news!. He did say, because he can't see the throat area, how the wonderful "pink Margarita" barium flows down, he can only see where it starts to flow into the newly pouch. He watches several times as I sip, to see when the flow starts to be 'ragged' per se, where it doesn't do an evenly smooth flow. Once he sees that, he stops and that is your fill for the day.

~ How much food should I now be eating? To continue with eating no more than a 1/3 portion of what you use to eat, but eat more caloric food items, as I am exercising more. NO liquids, to go right ahead and continue on with the solids. Because I am over 5 months post op, my pouch and band are healed, strong and sturdy, and can take the solid food and since the fill was a tiny "tweak", my stomach won't swell at all.

He asked me how I was doing since my last fill in Dec and I told him I was going up and down and now plateauing ~ BUT, I am losing inches. He said that was understandable, and expected, since after the 3 months post op, you immediately started to exercise more than you have before being banded and you are building muscles. It will take a little more time for your body to adjust what you are doing every day and not to weigh constantly (which I do currently twice a week, as I am doing those (2) Biggest Loser Challenges! UGH!!). He said my attitude plays lot on how I will lose now. So if I feel frustrated from getting off the scale and I am the same weight or more, I may eat the wrong foods to 'comfort' me. If I feel good, I may either under or over eat to celebrate, which neither is good. He did compliment me in drinking 10 glasses of water a day though and don't drink over 12 galsses a day, for me.

I didn't feel any different yesterday at all, like I never went. Today, is a different story! Because I didn't 'feel the difference', I started to eat and then find I was FULL! Interesting...I had no 'warning' and next thing I knew I couldn't eat any more. So, I looked at what's left of my grilled chicken and saw that I ate not even 2 oz. I did exercised today before coming in to work, so I will add a protein shake today. Also, I will start adding the unflavored protein powder in my soups, stews and chilis. As I don't do coffee, I will also add to my tea or hot cocoa.

So, all in all, this trip to TJ was good. I had NO issues coming or going to OCC. We parked at the Border Station and took the Mexicoach to their main station and took the taxi to OCC. Frederico was the same cabby we had back in Dec and he remembered my hubby and I! YEAH! He said, "I've got cards (business card) this time!" When we were done at OCC, we just had the front desk call him and he picked us up right outside OCC and took us back to the Mexicoach station and waited for the bus to take us to the border and was back to the parking lot 45 minutes later! YEAH! Got through Customs with no issues at all.

My appt was for 10:30a, but didn't get in until 11am...but I think the DST between San Diego and TJ may have played into it. While I was waiting for my appt, hubby went scouting for some Kahlua (oh yeah!) and I did the same thing Kristy did with having the front desk order my meds from a nearby Pharmacia. While I was getting my fill, they had already came and went ~ AWESOME! BUT, Ive since discovered yesterday, at the bus station, there is a Pharmacia right there and they were even cheaper, at least $3 to $6 difference. So if you have the time to browse, it may be worth to shop around for a cheaper price.

Here's hoping for my sweet spot for awhile! Jazzy!!

Well good for you Ms JazzyJude! I'm glad things went well and you are feeling it! You know, I was going to head to TJ this past week, but my plans changed so I'm thinking within the next 2-3 weeks. I am so glad you are so detailed with your posts. Thanks for an awesome post and sharing your experience. I may try Mexicoach and the cab next time. I never thought about it, is it cheaper than using OCC drivers? I know the rates have increased but I'm not sure about comparison. It also puts my anxiety at ease, since there have been posted questions in regard to recent problematic activities in TJ. Here's to the "sweet spot"! Take care :D

Well good for you Ms JazzyJude! I'm glad things went well and you are feeling it! You know, I was going to head to TJ this past week, but my plans changed so I'm thinking within the next 2-3 weeks. I am so glad you are so detailed with your posts. Thanks for an awesome post and sharing your experience. I may try Mexicoach and the cab next time. I never thought about it, is it cheaper than using OCC drivers? I know the rates have increased but I'm not sure about comparison. It also puts my anxiety at ease, since there have been posted questions in regard to recent problematic activities in TJ. Here's to the "sweet spot"! Take care :D

Hi Sweetie! For me, ithe rates are a huge difference. When I last talked with Lori, she said if you are getting a fill ($100) and need a ride ($99), it's $199 total, no matter if being picked up from the airport or from the Border Station park and ride parking lot. If the rates went up, I am not aware of it, as I don't use this service.

As I live in San Diego, it was cheaper by all means, to drive to the Border Station (20 min) and park the vehicle at the Border Station ($8 for the whole day). $6 per person, both ways, for the Mexicoach bus ride and the taxi ride to and from OCC was $10 for both hubby and I. So, basically, it cost us $30 plus gas. So it was worth it for us this way and not worry about anything.

It took us a total of 45 minutes from the time we left the Border Station on the Mexicoach, to the bus station, and taxi ride to OCC. And when we left OCC, to take the taxi to the bus station and back to Border Station, it took less than an hour, and that includes going through Customs. We hit a good time!!

OK...I just had to post this bit of information. Who would have thought a ".2cc" would make a difference? IT DOES! I am totally amazed! I get fuller now and I am stumped! I work with numbers, so this transition to me is unbelief and so I am adjusting my food intake currently as to my restriction. I an NOT tight, just fuller faster than I've had before. I now really make sure I somehow eat breakfast, as it really does make a difference on how I start my day. So, I am eating cereal and bacon to get in some fiber and proteins. Lunch, my band starts to open up a bit and can do the beans, soups, VERY little bulkier food such as chicken or pork. Eating lots of steamed veggies and having more fruits. Dinner I pretty much pick on, as I cannot eat a full meal just yet.

I drink a minimum of 10 glasses a day now, some with lemon slices, the Essential Green TeanAntioxidant Water Amplifier (Pomegranate Green Tea with Acai Berry), Crystal Light 'to go' packets (LOVE Cherry Pomegrante for Immunity), and Ocean Spray Cranberry 'to go' (my fave is the Grape right now).

I continue to walk between 5 to 7 miles a day, split between before going to work and after work, before I eat. I do LOTS of exercises, minimum of 60 minutes a day and do strength every other day. So, I am kicking butts right now...and I FEEL GOOD!

I'm thinking I should have donr the same and gone up just .2 cc cause I went from 2.4 to 3 cc in one shot and I might need an unfill now. I have this habbit of waking up a few times in the middle of the night because I am parched (and always have to pee) and when I went to sip water at 3am this morning, it hurt like hell. Water getting stuck????

I could feel it sitting there, like a clogged drain. I couldn't go back to sleep because it was so uncomfortable. I finally went back to sleep from 5-7am and now I'm drinking hot coffee which seems to be going down but that water incident has me worried. I hope this will pass. My fill was less than 48 hours ago....hopefully it is just swelling. What a wild ride this is!

Sabrina:)

I'm thinking I should have donr the same and gone up just .2 cc cause I went from 2.4 to 3 cc in one shot and I might need an unfill now. I have this habbit of waking up a few times in the middle of the night because I am parched (and always have to pee) and when I went to sip water at 3am this morning, it hurt like hell. Water getting stuck????

I could feel it sitting there, like a clogged drain. I couldn't go back to sleep because it was so uncomfortable. I finally went back to sleep from 5-7am and now I'm drinking hot coffee which seems to be going down but that water incident has me worried. I hope this will pass. My fill was less than 48 hours ago....hopefully it is just swelling. What a wild ride this is!

Sabrina:)

Sabrina...if you're concern, call the doc and inquire. Hmm, could it be that you might have taken a big gulp and didn't let it go down all the way before going back to sleep? Since you are getting more fills, you may need to learn to take smaller sips. Although, I don't get tight in the evenings but the mornings I do and then I drink WARM liquids to get me going.

Be careful eating too...don't want to start PBing or slime either. Keep us posted on how you are doing...Good luck babe