Something stuck

I knew I chewed, at least I thought I did. Then suddenly a weight on my chest. The feeling of wanting to vomit. Burping, foaming, spit coming out the sides of my mouth. Oh my God this is horrible. I could swear I chewed it enough. I got out a cup. Maybe I would burp it out. No, gagging, burping, foaming. Now I feel like I am going into anxiety attach. Oh my stomach just made a noise. I think diarreria is coming because I am freaking out. More weight on chest. I cant take it. I stuck my finger down my throat. A big lump of something came out. Still the weight on my chest. Still the burping with the foam. Now a hiccup and a burp. Oh my, I dont feel well. Now the sweating, very nervous. I stuck my finger down my throat again, Another lump of something comes out. ohhh, yuck. Still the weight on my chest but not so bad now. But still feel like I am going to poo my pants. Now I have the chills. The pain is going down. Dont feel well at all. Tired. I think I will lay down. May have to throw up again. I dont want this to happen ever again. This is horrible!!! Still burping with foam. I think I am better now. UG- Watch out, let this be a warning to everyone. HORRIBLE!!!

Ugh I totally know that feeling! Only had it happen twice but it sucks! I'm usually a one and one girl and it comes up within a minute or two, but i've had a couple of those and it wasn't the same type of food either.

HOpe you feel better!

Hope you don't mind if a newbie jumps in!

I'm new here but had my band since Aug 2008, down almost 80.

And I've found that when I'm stuck (hate it but it does happen sometimes) Papaya enzyme is almost a miracle drug.

It has Papain (an enzyme that helps digest protein) and most are formulated with lipase (for fat emulsification) and cellulase (veggie matter)

so it helps whatever is stuck break down and move on. I was dubious but found out it only digest "dead" tissue so it won't hurt your living stomach, esophagus

etc I finally tried it and WOW it was great!

I found mine in the "alternative" section of my large grocer's, but a drugstore or GNC should also carry it.

It's worth a try. You chew a couple tabs and it takes about 3-5 minutes and then sweet relief.

Just something to try; being stuck is miserable. :)

Oh lord Stormy I felt awful just reading about it!!!! I hope you are okay now! I am so freaked out about this happening...and I am sure it will because I know I eat way too fast (even when I think I'm eating slower)...eeekkkk....I guess I haven't fully "arrived" in lapband land until I truly experience this! I get my first fill in a couple of weeks...we'll see how long before I am writing about my own awful experience! :wacko:

I just joined this forum, trying to gather all the information I can before making a decision on whether or not to have this procedure done. I cant tell you how much I appreciate you posting your experience. It scares me to death, but gives me something real to consider. Thank you.

Shayna

Oh my gosh after reading this experience I am afraid to death of getting stuck. I normally eat so fast and have all my life that it is really going to take alot of training to slow down and chew more.

The thought of getting stuck just freaks me out. Actually so does the sliming I have read about and burping up food.

How do you guys deal with this. I am getting banded Tuesday and am nervous about the above.

Debbie

Speaking only for me, and as someone who, prior to banding, probably vomited a total of 4 times in my entire 50+ years...being stuck isn't that bad.

Don't get me wrong; it hurts, it CAN hurt a lot. BUT at least it's a clear, easily understood signal to SLOW DOWN, CHEW, QUIT EATING!

Yes, sometimes I need the bop to my head! And, it isn't like normal vomiting. There's no bile involved. Usually, too, once the offending bolus of food becomes "unstuck" the

pain is instantly gone. (not always, but usually)

IF you chew well, small bites, eat slowly, odds of getting stuck diminish. It isn't worth not getting the band over. At least, not to me.

You follow your doc's rules, you do the best you can. I can say at 13 months I've NEVER been stuck in a restaurant, never needed to vomit in

public, etc. And the Papaya enzymes REALLY work for me. ANY time it happens it is because I ate too fast, too large a bite (my normal bite is about 1/2 to 2/3 of what I used to do) or didn't chew well. No more eating like someone is going to take it from you!

For me, it's a small price to pay for all the band brings me. Some people do have lots of trouble but generally if you aren't too restricted (just to the green zone or sweet spot) and follow the mechanical rules of chewing etc, you'll be good!

I would love to have some experienced people respond to this!

I have had this happen VERY soon after my banding (1 year ago) because I was aggressive with my fills and wanted to be proactive with my weight loss.

What was the point of a blow by blow? Have you not been stuck before? why would you eat something that would put you in this position?

Stormy - I know you have had issues in the past with not having enough of a fill and have struggled with getting on the right track.

You really need to get a fill with fluoro, not only for your peace of mind, but to get a tweak and back on the bandwagon.

Posting this kind of stuff makes the experienced people shake their heads and makes the newbies freak out.

I see nothing wrong with posting the gory details. I think I can call myself "experienced" now and it does not make ME shake my head at all. I also think newbies need to know what it feels like and why it MIGHT happen. Otherwise they might think they are having a heart-attack!

Sabrina:)

Stormy - that sounded just terrible. :o I am sorry you felt the dreaded "stuck" feeling. So far, I have been fortunate to not experience that feeling. (Been banded for 5 months, so I a new bandster.)

I recently had a fill, and this is the first time for me feeling a bit nervous about solids again. I've been doing liquids and mushies.

I'm glad you posted this, as it serves as a reminder to BE CAREFUL! Yikes! Has the pain subsided all the way? Hang in there girl! We are here for ya!

I didn't find this post offensive at all either, nor did I shake my head. I too, could have posted something worded similar, simply because I just happen to be a dramatic speaker. Nothing wrong with that. I think it is very helpful to newbies so they know what to expect if it happens to them, and not all experienced bandsters have had this yet either. Plus, Stormy was scared and needed reassurance. Thats what we are here for, help, not to belittle people.

I did not find this post offensive in the least, I found it as a reminder of what happens when you take to big of a bite or not chew well enough, which I

think we are all guilty of.

Stormy, I hope you are feeling better now. I know first hand how painful having food stuck is!

I thought it was a little too much information and I can see the dramatic writing style might have scared off some people. However, I understand it can hurt to have food stuck.

I do not get food stuck very often after 18 months of having my lapband but it does still occasionally happen. Sometimes I do not even really know why. I guess I have never had something stuck in the way it was described in the post, whatever is stuck usually comes right back up with little effort and it is usually a small amount, like the last bite or two. But each of us are affected differently by our bands. I also do not have problems with anxiety but I can understand how that could cause a stuck session to seem worse, especially if you get your breathing all messed up.

Once again, it is important to emphasize that we are all going to "react" differently to stuck food. The lapband is a unique experience for all of us.

Stormy, I hope you are feeling better.

Speaking only for me, and as someone who, prior to banding, probably vomited a total of 4 times in my entire 50+ years...being stuck isn't that bad.

Don't get me wrong; it hurts, it CAN hurt a lot. BUT at least it's a clear, easily understood signal to SLOW DOWN, CHEW, QUIT EATING!

Yes, sometimes I need the bop to my head! And, it isn't like normal vomiting. There's no bile involved. Usually, too, once the offending bolus of food becomes "unstuck" the

pain is instantly gone. (not always, but usually)

IF you chew well, small bites, eat slowly, odds of getting stuck diminish. It isn't worth not getting the band over. At least, not to me.

You follow your doc's rules, you do the best you can. I can say at 13 months I've NEVER been stuck in a restaurant, never needed to vomit in

public, etc. And the Papaya enzymes REALLY work for me. ANY time it happens it is because I ate too fast, too large a bite (my normal bite is about 1/2 to 2/3 of what I used to do) or didn't chew well. No more eating like someone is going to take it from you!

For me, it's a small price to pay for all the band brings me. Some people do have lots of trouble but generally if you aren't too restricted (just to the green zone or sweet spot) and follow the mechanical rules of chewing etc, you'll be good!

It's nice to hear from someone a little older...I am 53 ...and feel like 35...at least in my head. I was beginning to wonder if I am to old to get this done because it seems everyone is so young. I sure do wish I had done it a lot sooner....now I have medical issues that may stop the surgery....I am very bummed.

I find that when I get stuck it is usuallymy fault....I will take too big of bits and it is usually when I am talking and trying to eat at the same time. I work in an office where I am the one who takes the calls, so I am always answering the phones. It never fails, I will take a bit and then phone will start ringing. I will chew and then swallow forgetting the fact that I really needed to chew chew chew. There are some days I can eat something just fine and the next day, I cant eat that same food. Some days I am tighter than other days. nd Its frustrating at times, but I just try to be careful and remember the foods and time of days that I eat that food and learn from my experiences.......

Carrie

I saw nothing wrong with my post. I think people need to be aware of how much it can hurt to get something stuck. Yes, I admitted that I did not chew it enough. Bad habits are hard to change. I have lived my life always in a hurry, thinking that I need to eat fast. Mostly because I have one hour for lunch and it took me 15 minutes to get home and 15 minutes to get back, so I rushed. There is no reason to not let the newbies know that this can happen. I wrote it for support and for people to know this is serious business. I had never had anything stuck like this. I have worked hard to not have that happen and it was any eye opening experience. I thought that is what this site is for, to share our experience and to ask questions.

Lisalaw, I wil answer you questions

What was the point of a blow by blow? To share how the experience affected me.

Have you not been stuck before? No, not like this ever!

why would you eat something that would put you in this position? Why would I eat? Is that what you asked? I did not eat anything unusual.

You say that you know I have had issues in the past with not having enough of a fill and have struggled with getting on the right track. I'm not sure you even know me. Yes I am concerned about my fill but I have kept on track very well. I exercise and eat exactly the way I was told to do. I did however have this experience by not chewing correctly. I wonder why you would take this approach and ask me why I would post my experience on here, making experienced people shake their head why would they do that? I consider myself to be what you call experienced, since I have had my band now over a year and as far a newbies, they are here to learn and get the facts, just as I was. I wanted to know all the facts. Not the pretty stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this post. I am pretty new with my band(3 months) and today I had my first stuck experience. It was pretty much as you explained. This happened at lunch so I knew to stop and do liquids for at least the next 24 hours. The question/problem is I tried some tomato soup for dinner and after about 4 sips I got the pain again like being stuck. This is confusing to me- Is there still food stuck even without pain and 4 hours later? Or is it that I am really swollen from my experience at lunch? I have switched to water and am able to sip that but not sure if this is a "normal" response after being stuck. Thoughts - advice would be appreciated! How long should this pain occur after being stuck with drinking soup or yogurt?

Thanks so much

Well, we all had lunch together last October - Lisal, Linda, myself, you and many others in Portland.

You and I were also banded 1 week apart and for the most part, I have always supported you, even through all that nasty Jann crap that took place.

I am not, nor will ever be an enabler. period.

I haven't been banded yet, but I appreciate the honesty in the post! I definitely don't want that to happen to me and knowing what will happen when you don't chew properly is something we should all hear about!

I have already started practicing taking smaller bites and chew, chew, chewing!!

Thanks for the post!!