I need breakfast food ideas

EricaG

I wake up really early in the morning and i don't have time to prepare healthy breakfast foods before i go. i normally just have mini wheats and soy for breakfast (i keep those stashed at work) but when i got my first fill i was told to eat more "whole food" because that would be pretty much a paste by the time it hits my band... soooo... any quick breakfast ideas? something i can make the night before and pack it next to my lunch? thanx.

put in a blender

1 scoop of vanilla whey protein

2 scoops (1/2c) uncooked oats

3 ice cubes & a bit of cold water until it's the consistency you like

a little sprinkle of cinnamon & splenda *if you like!

Blend.

Throw in a bottle, and drink on the way to work.

Packed of protein.

And super easy.

• Like 2

I am not a big breakfast person and I am really busy in the mornings. What I have found that works for me is to get a big box of granola bars (Fiber One, Kellog's Special K, Nature Valley, etc.) from Costco and on Monday mornings take a bunch to work with me and keep them stocked in my drawer. I find that it is enough to get the metabolism going and keep my appitite at bay until lunch.

The OCC fround apon my eating cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, which was my first choice. I love instant oatmeal.

• Like 1

I plan on making mini quiches and freezing them. I found these recipes and they sound great. If you scroll down you'll see more recipes and if you click on the words "breakfast-on-the-go" you'll get more ideas.

I loved her idea of a bento box so much I went out and bought one and look forward to packing pretty little portions.

http://theworldaccor...etti-bites.html

I get to eat on Friday!!

Update: I found these Breakfast Bites on her site: http://theworldaccor...fast-bites.html

Ooo! Another update: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/02/breakfast.html That page has some of her favorite breakfasts mentioned.

• Like 1

I wake up really early in the morning and i don't have time to prepare healthy breakfast foods before i go. i normally just have mini wheats and soy for breakfast (i keep those stashed at work) but when i got my first fill i was told to eat more "whole food" because that would be pretty much a paste by the time it hits my band... soooo... any quick breakfast ideas? something i can make the night before and pack it next to my lunch? thanx.

My go to breakfast items.

1. Protein shake made with water, 1/2 banana, and frozen berries - I add my flax seed oil to this.

2. Oatmeal

3. Protein bar

4. greek yogurt with berries.

5. a slice of deli ham rolled up.

Hope this helps. These are super simple for me.

• Like 1

I would also recommend:

hard-boiled eggs

cottage cheese with some frozen fruit addded (I prefer blueberries)

string cheese and sliced lunchmeat with whole-grain crackers

apple or pear and peanut butter (take a knife to slice the fruit)

carrot chips or slice cucumber and hummus or low-fat cheese dip

Since I've been banded my best breakfasts are protein and veggies. If I start the day with carbs then I seem to be hungry all day. You might want to experiment with different meals and see how long it takes to get hungry again.

Margie

Everyone knows what I am going to day. TOMATOE PIE. :)

Love it, cant live without it and am totally addicted it. Make it on the weekend and zap a piece each day in the morning before work.

Recipe is on the recipe part of this forum.

Deb

put in a blender

1 scoop of vanilla whey protein

2 scoops (1/2c) uncooked oats

3 ice cubes & a bit of cold water until it's the consistency you like

a little sprinkle of cinnamon & splenda *if you like!

Blend.

Throw in a bottle, and drink on the way to work.

Packed of protein.

And super easy.

Okay Lindsay, I put some oats in my shake tonight....I was to pooped out to cook. It was good and filling. The oats really make a huge difference. I put a Tbsp of milled flax in as well. Good to go.

I think I will add oats more often when I have a shake...great suggestion.

I have done a piece of toast (double fiber) with peanut butter. Pretty yummy and easy to take on the road.

My husband eats Ezekiel bread with peanut butter in a pinch. Ezekiel bread is pretty dry especially when toasted. It may be something some of can eat. Not sure. When I brought it up with Dr. Miranda she said it was Dr. Ortiz' favorite.

Not sure I trust myself with peanut butter in the house. I can eat it until it's gone. Well, that was pre-band. Let's see how I am now. Maybe I won't be prowling the kitchen all day looking for something to drop into the bottomless pit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im not sure if you can eat eggs okay, but I like to make a crustless quiche on sundays and then once its cool, cut it into slices, wrap in foil, and just grab one on my way out. i usually just pop them in the micro once I get to work, or sometimes just have it room-temp. here's a reciepe i use, its got 200 calories, 6g carbs, and 17g protein. if you're on weight watchers, i think thats about 4 points per serving, and boy does it keep you full for a while. Don't skip the green onions, theyre a wonderful lo-cal flavor booster!

Bacon Mushroom Quiche

4 slices cooked bacon, chopped (I actually prefer to use Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Bits, 1 serving = 1 slice of bacon, its cheaper and easier)

1 pound mushrooms, sliced

4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

6 eggs

2 egg whites

3/4 cup fat free half and half

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

Dash pepper

4 green onions, chopped

Coat a large skillet with butter flavored cooking spray and sauté the mushrooms until tender and the liquid has evaporated. Season with a little salt and pepper. Spread the cheese in a greased 9"x9" baking dish. Top with the mushrooms, then the bacon and green onions. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, half and half, salt, celery salt and a dash of pepper. Pour evenly over everything. Bake at 350º 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 servings

(adapted from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/bacon_mushroom_bake.html)

There are millions of crustless quiche recipes out there but I've made so many variations, and this one is always my favorite. You can always reduce the cal count by subbing out more eggs for egg whites, subbing out tofu-bacon, changing the cheese, etc.

Im not sure if you can eat eggs okay, but I like to make a crustless quiche on sundays and then once its cool, cut it into slices, wrap in foil, and just grab one on my way out. i usually just pop them in the micro once I get to work, or sometimes just have it room-temp. here's a reciepe i use, its got 200 calories, 6g carbs, and 17g protein. if you're on weight watchers, i think thats about 4 points per serving, and boy does it keep you full for a while. Don't skip the green onions, theyre a wonderful lo-cal flavor booster!

Bacon Mushroom Quiche

4 slices cooked bacon, chopped (I actually prefer to use Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Bits, 1 serving = 1 slice of bacon, its cheaper and easier)

1 pound mushrooms, sliced

4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

6 eggs

2 egg whites

3/4 cup fat free half and half

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

Dash pepper

4 green onions, chopped

Coat a large skillet with butter flavored cooking spray and sauté the mushrooms until tender and the liquid has evaporated. Season with a little salt and pepper. Spread the cheese in a greased 9"x9" baking dish. Top with the mushrooms, then the bacon and green onions. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, half and half, salt, celery salt and a dash of pepper. Pour evenly over everything. Bake at 350º 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 servings

(adapted from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/bacon_mushroom_bake.html)

There are millions of crustless quiche recipes out there but I've made so many variations, and this one is always my favorite. You can always reduce the cal count by subbing out more eggs for egg whites, subbing out tofu-bacon, changing the cheese, etc.

im gonna make this tonight!

*smacks lips* deli haaaaaam... mmmmm day 19 of liquid diet. deliiiiii haaaaaaam. oooOOOOooooOOOooh.

Man, do I hear you. I am on day 11 of liquid diet, had my first "creamy soup" today. Ate some split pea soup, it was maybe the greatest thing I ever ate. I really need to chew something!!!

But the good news is I've lost 14 pounds in 11 days, so the torture definitely is worth it.

• Like 1

If you want some bulk with your breakfast, this is my favorite, low-cal high protein and and so easy to make ahead:

3-4 oz chopped frozen spinach

1 hard boiled egg, diced

1 oz shredded 2% cheese

1 link heat-n-eat turkey sausage, sliced

hot sauce (optional)

I make 4-5 at a time: buy the 1-lb bag of frozen chopped spinach, thaw 4-5 pre-cooked turkey sausages, boil 4-5 eggs, and assemble a week's worth of breakfasts at a time. I love it because the spinach gives it some bulk and the protein from the egg, cheese and sausage gives it all some 'staying power'

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay Lindsay, I put some oats in my shake tonight....I was to pooped out to cook. It was good and filling. The oats really make a huge difference. I put a Tbsp of milled flax in as well. Good to go.

I think I will add oats more often when I have a shake...great suggestion.

i've always had my raw oats in my shakes since i can remember..every time i make that people think it's gross..hahaha glad im not alone.

• 3 months later...

I plan on making mini quiches and freezing them. I found these recipes and they sound great. If you scroll down you'll see more recipes and if you click on the words "breakfast-on-the-go" you'll get more ideas.

I loved her idea of a bento box so much I went out and bought one and look forward to packing pretty little portions.

http://theworldaccor...etti-bites.html

I get to eat on Friday!!

Update: I found these Breakfast Bites on her site: http://theworldaccor...fast-bites.html

Ooo! Another update: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/02/breakfast.html That page has some of her favorite breakfasts mentioned.

Today is my first day on solid food. I tried Shell's Ham & Cheese Breakfast bites from the above link and LOVED THEM. Thank you so much for steering me to her website.