4th Fill at OCC

This is just an informative post about my 4th fill experience at the OCC for anyone who might be interested.

Today I got my 4th fill at the OCC, as all of them have been at the OCC. My first fill was a month after surgery and I received 3cc on my first fill, my second was 2 months post op and I got another 3cc. My 3rd fill was 3 months post op and I got another 0.6cc.

Upon seeing me for the 4th fill I think Dr. So knew I was a little dispondent b/c he said I looked fantastic and asked me how much weight I lost and then asked how much weight I lost with the band (he knows I am doing WW, as I emailed him my daily journals for a whole month post op) and I told him nada! So he said "Let's try to be a little agressive today." I told him he could go for it since I did something on this fill that I have not done for the ones prior, which is fast. I had not eaten any food since the night before (21 hours prior to my fill).

He tried an additional 2cc but the barium was not going down so he tried 1.4 CC and the barium went down fine. So now I am at a total of 8cc in my band. He said I could go back and see him in 3 weeks if this turns out that it is not enough of a fill but did mention to me that 90% of his patients get ideal restriction at 8.5cc or less.

For those of you who do not know I was worried about a leak. He did say that with the Realize 11cc band they have had no reported leaks and that with the other bands the leaks are usually in the port. He confirmed that I did not have a leak by removing my fluid and checking the volume of the amount he removed. When I asked him about a possible leak in the tube between the band and the port he said that it was extremely rare. He said that he has only had 1 case where the leak was not in the port but in the band itself. He also said that since I get all my fills at the OCC it was even less likely that I would get a leak.

I am not sure if this fill will take or not. I will not know for a few more days I guess. I was able to eat a 100 calorie bag of popchips tonight without a problem but I need to try something more substantial I think.

Yay for the fill! Sounds like you are either near, or at a point of restriction. Woo hoo! I consider chips easy to eat. Not like the harder protein. Let us know what you think of your restriction with hard protein! I am excited for you!

Also, I will be curious to hear if you notice your hunger is gone. Most of my hunger went away. Which is very cool and at first it was strange.

Try to stay away from your favorite slider foods until you determine you have restriction! I know it's not easy, but being the WW gal you are I know you can make it work.

Thanks Everyone for chirping in :D I am in the process of eating my granola bar for breakfast and so far so good but I am having major gurgling action going on as I chew and it is kind of loud.

I am ver worried about something that I am hoping to get your opinions on. I have not really told anybody at work about my procedure and since I eat 2 out of 3 meals here, should I start telling people quietly in case I have issues that might cuase minor embarassement? How did you guys handle that situation?

This is just an informative post about my 4th fill experience at the OCC for anyone who might be interested.

Today I got my 4th fill at the OCC, as all of them have been at the OCC. My first fill was a month after surgery and I received 3cc on my first fill, my second was 2 months post op and I got another 3cc. My 3rd fill was 3 months post op and I got another 0.6cc.

Upon seeing me for the 4th fill I think Dr. So knew I was a little dispondent b/c he said I looked fantastic and asked me how much weight I lost and then asked how much weight I lost with the band (he knows I am doing WW, as I emailed him my daily journals for a whole month post op) and I told him nada! So he said "Let's try to be a little agressive today." I told him he could go for it since I did something on this fill that I have not done for the ones prior, which is fast. I had not eaten any food since the night before (21 hours prior to my fill).

He tried an additional 2cc but the barium was not going down so he tried 1.4 CC and the barium went down fine. So now I am at a total of 8cc in my band. He said I could go back and see him in 3 weeks if this turns out that it is not enough of a fill but did mention to me that 90% of his patients get ideal restriction at 8.5cc or less.

For those of you who do not know I was worried about a leak. He did say that with the Realize 11cc band they have had no reported leaks and that with the other bands the leaks are usually in the port. He confirmed that I did not have a leak by removing my fluid and checking the volume of the amount he removed. When I asked him about a possible leak in the tube between the band and the port he said that it was extremely rare. He said that he has only had 1 case where the leak was not in the port but in the band itself. He also said that since I get all my fills at the OCC it was even less likely that I would get a leak.

I am not sure if this fill will take or not. I will not know for a few more days I guess. I was able to eat a 100 calorie bag of popchips tonight without a problem but I need to try something more substantial I think.

Hey there! Super happy for you! But I am curious. I had my 1st fill Tuesday with a local doctor here. But I was told to have liquids for 2 days and mushies for another 2. So I'm on mushies today and can eat real food tomorrow. Do they not tell you that at the OCC? I'm just curious. I know all doctors are different from pre-op and post-op diets and care but I was just wondering because I am DYING to eat a real dinner tonight but don't want to hurt my fill... Just wondering...

Thanks Everyone for chirping in biggrin.gif I am in the process of eating my granola bar for breakfast and so far so good but I am having major gurgling action going on as I chew and it is kind of loud.

I am ver worried about something that I am hoping to get your opinions on. I have not really told anybody at work about my procedure and since I eat 2 out of 3 meals here, should I start telling people quietly in case I have issues that might cuase minor embarassement? How did you guys handle that situation?

The positive about telling people is the accountability. There's additional pressure knowing people are watching you and it may help keep you on track. On the flip side, some people are jerks about it. I've told people that I spend alot of time with, just in case there is ever a medical emergency. I have one friend who I haven't told because she'd freak out and her and I would always drink champagne together. I had to let her know that I won't be doing that anymore. She's very understanding since she is totally fit but she wouldn't be if she knew it was because of the band.

I don't work outside the home anymore but if I still did, I'd probably just tell someone close to me (in case of an emergency) and then feel it out after that. They probably know you're on WW and just figure you're stomach is gurgling because you're on a diet. Now if you end up PBing your lunch back onto you're plate in front of everyone, just take out your points tracker and ask, "Hmm, that was a 4 point lunch. Do you think I can take 1 or 2 points off for that?"

I don't work outside the home anymore but if I still did, I'd probably just tell someone close to me (in case of an emergency) and then feel it out after that. They probably know you're on WW and just figure you're stomach is gurgling because you're on a diet. Now if you end up PBing your lunch back onto you're plate in front of everyone, just take out your points tracker and ask, "Hmm, that was a 4 point lunch. Do you think I can take 1 or 2 points off for that?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wish I had that much Dolly Parton in me! Thanks for hitting the nail on the head and I will try to do exactly that.

Hey there! Super happy for you! But I am curious. I had my 1st fill Tuesday with a local doctor here. But I was told to have liquids for 2 days and mushies for another 2. So I'm on mushies today and can eat real food tomorrow. Do they not tell you that at the OCC? I'm just curious. I know all doctors are different from pre-op and post-op diets and care but I was just wondering because I am DYING to eat a real dinner tonight but don't want to hurt my fill... Just wondering...

Really unique situation for me, as I have yet to come across anyone else who was told this...Dr. Acosta told me that as of my second fill he did not want me doing liquids after a fill anymore. He said that since I tend to gravitate towards liquids anyway (ie: oatmeal, cottage cheese, soups) that he wanted me staying away from them altogether even after a fill. He basically said "No more liquids for you." God only knows the things I would be "eating" right now if I could...

On the other hand, Dr. So who has done 3 of my 4 fills seems to take a more neutral approach to it. He basically says my gravitation toward liquids is fine with him since I am following WW and "making good choices" and monitoring my portions, but he does not tell me to stick to liquids after fills either.

Yay for the fill! Sounds like you are either near, or at a point of restriction. Woo hoo! I consider chips easy to eat. Not like the harder protein. Let us know what you think of your restriction with hard protein! I am excited for you!

Also, I will be curious to hear if you notice your hunger is gone. Most of my hunger went away. Which is very cool and at first it was strange.

Try to stay away from your favorite slider foods until you determine you have restriction! I know it's not easy, but being the WW gal you are I know you can make it work.

Thanks Angie, I am going to try to stay away from the cottage cheese for 24 hours :lol: Yesterday & last night I was ravenous! Hunger seems a little bit more managable today.

Thanks Angie, I am going to try to stay away from the cottage cheese for 24 hours :lol: Yesterday & last night I was ravenous! Hunger seems a little bit more managable today.

A little off topic, but is cottage cheese considered a slider food??? I just bought some for my between meal snack, but wanted something that would stick to my ribs and help keep hunger away.

Back on topic--congrats on your fill--I'm at 5.7 after 3 fills and still don't have any appreciable restriction. I'm hoping with my next one I can get up to 7-8ccs.

A little off topic, but is cottage cheese considered a slider food??? I just bought some for my between meal snack, but wanted something that would stick to my ribs and help keep hunger away.

Back on topic--congrats on your fill--I'm at 5.7 after 3 fills and still don't have any appreciable restriction. I'm hoping with my next one I can get up to 7-8ccs.

I am not sure about slider food but I do know that the OCC considers it a "mushy" food. It sticks to me okay, probably not as well as thick, sticky oatmeal would but I have been having cottage cheese cravings for 2 months now. Come to think of it, I have also been craving cream of wheat...

Sorry Angie, I have to have a 1/2 cup of cottage for dinner tonight. i already know what I am going to have and that is part of the menu. I love planning my meals in advance! That has totally been working for me as it requires no thought process and cuts temptation by at least 70% for me when it is time to eat. i just go home grab stuff out of the fridge and throw it all together. So much easier when you don't have to think :P

They probably know you're on WW and just figure you're stomach is gurgling because you're on a diet. Now if you end up PBing your lunch back onto you're plate in front of everyone, just take out your points tracker and ask, "Hmm, that was a 4 point lunch. Do you think I can take 1 or 2 points off for that?"

lol......hilarious just picturing this happening

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering about the number of fills everyone seems to be getting. The impression I got from Dr Ortiz was that most folks only need 1-3 fills! I live 3,000 miles away and my trip back to TJ for my first fill is costing plenty $$ with airfare, hotel, etc - have to change planes in Dallas and it ends up being a 12 hour "commute" so plan to spend the day before and day after in a hotel. Now I'm wondering if I have to have 4 or 5 fills, should I start looking into Fill Centers USA? I really want to return to OCC for them all but wonder if I'll be able to afford it. . .

C/O Wikipedia:

"No accurate number of adjustments required can be given. However, an average may be estimated to be between three and five fills (where saline/isotonic solution is inserted into the band via the subcutaneous port) for a person to reach the optimal restriction for weight loss. The amount of saline/isotonic solution needed in the band varies from patient to patient. There are a small number of people who find they do not need a fill at all and have sufficient restriction immediately following surgery. Others may need significant adjustments to the maximum the band is able to hold."

My first 3 fills were non-agressive but I have to take 2 things into consideration. 1 - I did not fast before my first 3 fills. 2 - I was on my period at the time of my 3rd fill due to not being "regular."

I am wondering about the number of fills everyone seems to be getting. The impression I got from Dr Ortiz was that most folks only need 1-3 fills! I live 3,000 miles away and my trip back to TJ for my first fill is costing plenty $$ with airfare, hotel, etc - have to change planes in Dallas and it ends up being a 12 hour "commute" so plan to spend the day before and day after in a hotel. Now I'm wondering if I have to have 4 or 5 fills, should I start looking into Fill Centers USA? I really want to return to OCC for them all but wonder if I'll be able to afford it. . .

I think everyone is different, but from what I have heard from people online is 3-5 seems to be typical. Dr. Ortiz said 2-3 if you go back to them, I would love to go back to them but can't afford that so all mine will be done without flouroscopy. This may mean I have more in the long run, but I don't really have any choice in the matter, so I am ok with it. I am hoping to get it done by 4!

I just had my second fill, but stayed local this time, as I don't have time to fly to the OCC a second time this month. I found a doctor that accepts Mexico band patients and he filled me without flouro. I went in at 5 cc and he brought me up to 8. I feel nice and restricted - even had my first Pb episode after trying to eat a piece of turkey burger that was a bit dry.

Anyway, the doctor said that these 11 cc J&J Realize bands usually require 9-11 ccs to achieve optimal restriction. He says the fat just kind of gets out of the way, reducing the amount of restriction in a few weeks. He said I could come back in as early as 2 weeks if necessary.