Pre-op Diet Questions

KaylaJo

Hey all! I am new to the site, but I have been reading all your post and they have answered a lot of my questions. So keep up the awesome work.

But, I am also looking for some help on my pre-op diet. Or my pre-pre-op diet. I have to loose about 30 pounds before the OCC can safely perform the lapband surgery for me. I am 25 years old and have a lot of life to live. 30 pounds seems like a lot, but I am quite determined to make this work!!

I have chose diet #2: 2 protein shakes and a lien dinner (frozen meal). With that said, I have few questions and looking for some suggestions on the pre-op diet:

Do I have to use the protein drinks or can I eat protein bars?

What amount of protein should I consume a day?

Does it matter the amount of fat in the bars/shakes?

What about beverages? Coffee, Diet Soda, Water--are all these acceptable?

What amount LF or FF yogurt or cottage cheese?

Any answers to my questions or suggestions on pre-op diets, exercise, or preparing for the band would be greatly appreciated.

~KJ

The best idea would be to talk to Dr. Miranda, she can tell you exactly what you can/cannot eat. I did exactly what the plan said, protein DRINKS, not bars. I did not have any yogurt, it was not on the plan. Only 2 protein shakes a day and 1 Lean Cuisine meal for dinner. If I got hungry, I made a salad of green lettuce and a very small amount of mushrooms and used the spray dressing. Those are all allowed on the plan, but nothing else.

But, you should really call Dr. Miranda and talk to her about these questions.

Do I have to use the protein drinks or can I eat protein bars? No. Shakes Only.

Bars = sugar cal's. That's how they make them taste semi-good ;)

Just try and keep things simple and clean.

Try and find a protein powder that contains Caseinate. IT will keep your fuller, longer.

This is my favourite brand, and always have jugs on this in different flavours in my cupboard.

What amount of protein should I consume a day? Typically, I would aim for 1g per 1lb of body weight.

ie. 150g protein if you weigh 150lbs -however, I know that on the pre-op, you're doing a calorie restriction diet, and I wouldn't go over 1200cal/day.

With that being said, 1g protein = 4cal.

Does it matter the amount of fat in the bars/shakes? No. But I would stay with the more 'clean' choices. Because you're really starting out with this, just aim for your total caloric intake being UNDER 1200 for a day.

What about beverages? Coffee, Diet Soda, Water--are all these acceptable? Yes. Coffee - if you have cream, make sure you count your fat. Enjoy your diet pop while you can. Post-op, you'll be off of them for 6 months!

What amount LF or FF yogurt or cottage cheese? No. I would stear away from all diary during your pre-op diet.

Few other tips:

I suggest you start a free account on MyPlate - it's a fantastic way of food tracking, and it's a good habit to get into, as once you have your surgery, it will be a very valuable key to your success.

Start exercising, DAILY, for at least 45 minutes ... slowly increase your time.

The purpose of the pre-op diet is to decrease the size of your liver, making getting around it for surgery easier.

Start food tracking NOW. This will ensure your long term success.

After surgery, you will have little/no restriction for the first few months (to allow your body to heal). Beginning new healthy habits will help with this transition of the 'new you', even without restriction, you can have some major weight loss success! (I wasn't one of them, as I wasn't dedicated enough at that point!)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I feel your pain!! When Dr. Miranda told me I had to lose 48 pounds before surgery I flipped out!! I mean, if I could lose weight like that, then why would I need Lap-Band, right? Well, I have to say it's not easy, but it is do-able. I am still 39 days out from my surgery, and I have lost 22 of my 48 pounds. I am doing the same diet as you. Find a few flavors of protein powder you like and stock up on lean cuisines. I have learned to love sugar free jello, and when I get super hungry, I eat a salad.

I think pre-op diet is as much about changing the way you look at eating as it is about losing weight and shrinking the liver. Do some soul searching and see if you can find out WHY you eat. And just remember, you can do this!!! It is the first step to your new life. Once you see those pounds start dropping, you will be so pumped to keep going! Good luck and welcome to the family!

• Like 1

I feel your pain!! When Dr. Miranda told me I had to lose 48 pounds before surgery I flipped out!! I mean, if I could lose weight like that, then why would I need Lap-Band, right? Well, I have to say it's not easy, but it is do-able. I am still 39 days out from my surgery, and I have lost 22 of my 48 pounds. I am doing the same diet as you. Find a few flavors of protein powder you like and stock up on lean cuisines. I have learned to love sugar free jello, and when I get super hungry, I eat a salad.

I think pre-op diet is as much about changing the way you look at eating as it is about losing weight and shrinking the liver. Do some soul searching and see if you can find out WHY you eat. And just remember, you can do this!!! It is the first step to your new life. Once you see those pounds start dropping, you will be so pumped to keep going! Good luck and welcome to the family!

I know that I was allowed a 1/2 cup (I think) of minestrone soup during my pre op (same one as you). That was my life saver.

I was a Diet Coke fiend before Lap-Band. I decided to give it up as part of the pre-op diet and after drinking a 12-pack a day for years, I have been soda free since Feb. 29, 2008! I think it helped with the weight loss b/c diet soda seems to make me hungry. I switched to unsweet tea to still get a little caffeine (I don't drink coffee) and sugar-free Kool-Aid or Crystal Light to drink instead of eat when I thought I was hungry or just needed flavor. I would create a mental picture of the Diet Coke and Mento's trick and think, "Holy Cow, if I put that stuff in my banded stomach I will explode and my head will pop off."

I did the 2 protein shakes and lean frozen dinner, too. I did buy the tiny bags of snack carrots to keep in the fridge and if I absolutely had to have something crunchy during the day, I would snack on those during the first couple of weeks. I know it was a little off the plan, but it helped keep me stay away from chips cookies, and other big no-nos. (By the way, you want to get those out of your house!)

Also, start walking. In my personal experience, the scale didn't move right away. It's like my body wanted to hold on. Once I got a little walking going, it helped. And, when the weather was bad, I found my "Reebok step" from the 80's. I put it in front of the TV and did a few minutes of steps. I found if I did it during commercials, it would stop me from walking to the fridge!

Good luck! It will be so worth it!

• 4 months later...