Cream of carrot/cheese soup

Apprehensive

This soup is the only reason I was able to stay on this post-op diet without being locked up in a nut-hut, or being wanted in at least 5 states for a capitol crime. I hate soup...but this is actually good. And... when it is cold... it would make a terrific dip. I am not sure, this is only an educated guess, but the calories for a 4 oz serving would be approximately 300 calories.

Ingredients (I don't really measure these, all ingredients are approximate)

1 small onion

2 stalks celery

2 tsp olive oil

4 medium carrots

2 cups chicken broth (fat free)

8 oz shreded Cheddar Chesse (reduced fat)

4 oz Parkay Spray Butter

3 tbs flour (ubleached preferably)

2 cups of Fat Free Half&Half (evaporated Milk may be substituted, fat free of course)

In a small sauce pan, heat chopped onions and celery in olive oil, then turn heat low and "sweat" the veggies in a covered pan for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile chop the carrots coarsely then add chicken broth and carrots to the well "sweated" veggies and simmer for at least 20 minutes. In a separate large sauce pan mix the spray butter and flour and heat for at least two minutes. Add the half & half and whisk vigorously until the mixture is smooth/thickened and a bit bubbly. Puree the carrot/vegetable mixture in a blender and add to the white sauce(what you made with the flour/butter and half&half ) bring to a full boil and add the cheese. Stir vigorously until the cheese is well blended. Check seasoning for salt and add pepper if desired. Bon Appetit!

NOTE:

If the flour/Parkay Spray does not blend well with the half & half, the hot mixture may be smoothed in the blender.

The white sauce is much easier to make using real butter or margarine but of course that adds unnecessary fat/calories

For even less calories, omit the cheese...for a good but not great soup. I have found that the cheese is like a reward for being on this damn diet. Go ahead, I am still losing weight.

Apprehensive:

300 calories for 3 ounces (or 100 calories an ounce) is NOT okay. That means 1 cup would be 800 calories :o Even on a 2,000 calorie per-day diet that is recommended to maintain your current body weight you are looking at almost 1/2 of your recommended daily caloric intake in 1 cup.

I am going to put you recipe in my WW on-line Recipe Builder to see if I can come up with a healthier alternative.

I am not trying to be mean or rude, I just am concerned that too much of this stuff (even on the liquid phase) could bring you into the danger zone of "drinking liquid calories" that slip right through the band and can cause weight gain in the long run. Maybe this was a typo on your end and I am totally over reacting to the typo. :lol:

Post Script:

Assuming that this soup makes a total of 4 servings at 1 cup each, it would be approximately 250 calories per serving if you used 2% reduced fat shredded cheese and fat free chicken broth. However, if you can get 5 cups out of this you are looking at 200 calories per cup, 6 cups = approximately 160 calories per cup. Either way, not bad if you stick to using fat free or reduced fat ingrediants & you could always add water or FF broth to up the serving size & reduce the calories per serving

Creamy Carrot & Cheese Soup

main meals

POINTS® Value: 5

Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 0 min

Cooking Time: 0 min

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Course: main meals

Ingredients

1 cup(s) Kraft 2% Milk Reduced Fat Natural Shredded Cheese Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese

4 oz Parkay Spray

1 small onion(s)

4 medium carrot(s)

2 tsp olive oil

3 Tbsp all-purpose flour

2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth

2 cup(s) fat-free half-and-half

2 large stalk(s) celery

As a fellow newbie and still having soup..tonight I made my own split pea..I appreciate the new soup, and appreciate it even more with the "slimmed" down version which I will be trying this weekend...and I too used to hate soup..but it is my new best friend..Thanks!

Apprehensive:

300 calories for 3 ounces (or 100 calories an ounce) is NOT okay. That means 1 cup would be 800 calories :o Even on a 2,000 calorie per-day diet that is recommended to maintain your current body weight you are looking at almost 1/2 of your recommended daily caloric intake in 1 cup.

I am going to put you recipe in my WW on-line Recipe Builder to see if I can come up with a healthier alternative.

I am not trying to be mean or rude, I just am concerned that too much of this stuff (even on the liquid phase) could bring you into the danger zone of "drinking liquid calories" that slip right through the band and can cause weight gain in the long run. Maybe this was a typo on your end and I am totally over reacting to the typo. :lol:

Post Script:

Assuming that this soup makes a total of 4 servings at 1 cup each, it would be approximately 250 calories per serving if you used 2% reduced fat shredded cheese and fat free chicken broth. However, if you can get 5 cups out of this you are looking at 200 calories per cup, 6 cups = approximately 160 calories per cup. Either way, not bad if you stick to using fat free or reduced fat ingrediants & you could always add water or FF broth to up the serving size & reduce the calories per serving

Creamy Carrot & Cheese Soup

main meals

POINTS® Value: 5

Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 0 min

Cooking Time: 0 min

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Course: main meals

Ingredients

1 cup(s) Kraft 2% Milk Reduced Fat Natural Shredded Cheese Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese

4 oz Parkay Spray

1 small onion(s)

4 medium carrot(s)

2 tsp olive oil

3 Tbsp all-purpose flour

2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth

2 cup(s) fat-free half-and-half

2 large stalk(s) celery

Greetings Bogiesmom:

No offense taken. I see I did not put down to use reduced fat cheese. I know it is rather high in my "estimated" calories...but this is only a guess with the calories. I can only consume 4 oz at a time and it is totally acceptable for me and my diet. You are so right about being able to use more Fat Free bullion to make it more calorie friendly. One thing great about this soup recipe, it is easy to alter and adjust. You can also play with the amount of Cheddar Cheese you decide to add. Granted, I am not a nutritionist...but the "proof is in the pudding", I have been losing weight and have had two servings of this during the day when I chose this for my "main course". I am glad you are looking and offer lesser calorie versions of this recipe. I did however make a typo...it is supposed to be a 4 oz serving. SORRY. And...there are always variations which you pointed out, and I really appreciate the revision. I went back in to edit my version. Thanks so much for pointing this out.

Thanks Again!