"Flexitarian" (FINALLY a word that describes me!!!)

bogiesmom

I am so glad I got this in my daily HG email update this morning! I finally found a catagory description that defines me and my lifestyle. :D

"HG,

I have been hearing a term lately that confuses me. What exactly is a "flexitarian"?

"Flex" Perplexed

Dear Perplexed,

GREAT question. The answer is simple. A "flexitarian" is a person who primarily follows a vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat. "Flexys" typically reduce their meat intake but do NOT eliminate it altogether. There are no hard-and-fast rules for how much meat they consume; it's just a casual, day-by-day thing for many of them. I love this concept A LOT. It allows you to eat mostly veggie stuff but gives you the flexibility (hence the name!) to eat meat if you want to. Totally cool! Most of the flexitarians I know (and I have met quite a few lately) tend to eat really healthfully and are super happy with their decision to limit meat consumption. If you want to learn more about this type of eating, definitely check out a book called The Flexitarian Diet: The Mostly Vegetarian Way to Lose Weight, Be Healthier, Prevent Disease, and Add Years to Your Life, by registered dietitian Dawn Jackson Blatner. Dawn is really cool and smart, and she's also a pal of mine. When we met recently on a trip to Italy, she told me all about her flexitarian ways. I was really intrigued and, since then, have been hearing a lot about flexitarianism. Check it out!"

I am very similar, but would probably consider myself more of a "flegan" lol! I used to be vegan for 3 years, so I have carried a lot of those tendencies into my life after veganism. I never buy milk, only soy milk. I constantly use milk substitutes like vegan cream cheese and vegan sour cream. And I do eat meat but it isn't my first choice of food, I am actually eating it more now that I am banded because I am trying to do the whole protein first and veggies second thing that was recommended by Dr. Miranda. But while I am eating the meat part I am staring at the veggies... cuz I am in love with veggies <3