HUGE photo signatures

Can you put a stop to these? :angry:

they're so freakin' annoying ... having a series 500x500 picture series of someone's weight loss ... they're just too BIG and really slow down the loading for each thread! (specifically RevyD)

I've never seen such massive signatures, in all of the forums I'm part of.

That's why there's a GALLERY section.

UGH.

Can you put a stop to these? mad.gif

they're so freakin' annoying ... having a series 500x500 picture series of someone's weight loss ... they're just too BIG and really slow down the loading for each thread! (specifically RevyD)

UGH.

Maybe you can change your options to not show siggys....that way it won't slow the load time.

I've never had a problem with stuff not loading fast...even those with big pics in their signature. Maybe I just have a super fast computer? I LOVE seeing the before and afters in the signature and wish I knew how to post mine...altgough I won't if it slows you guys down.

Sabrina:)

I don't have a slow system, and my monitor is huge, which is another reason it's so freakin' annoeying ... I don't want to see huge photos every time I click on a link to visit a thread.

it's improper forum etiquette, to have monster signatures.

Before/After pictures, IMHO, should be saved for the gallery or your blog, both which are readily avail in this forum.

Strange. I just clicked on another thread that Revy posted in and it loaded instantly. I wonder why it's slowing down for you? Either way, I'll save my before and afters for the gallery so I don't put anyone else out. Have a great day everyone!

Sabrina:)

Can you put a stop to these? mad.gif

UGH.

Hahahahahahahah. Oh my God Lindsay I have not laughed that hard in ages. How long have you been dwelling on this issue? The signature has been posted for months and you are just mentioning it now. Oh my gosh I am so sorry but I find that hilarious that you let this build up for months. You really must be having a bad day.

I have a really old computer and mine has no problem at all loading fast with big signatures.

Let me enjoy my big pics for a few more days as I am very proud of all that I have accomplished in such a short period of time and I will try and make them smaller for you :)

Oh my gosh I am going to wet my pants if I don't stop laughing so I need to sign off. Hope your day is better tomorrow.

• Like 3

I've gone back and forth about the signature thing. I also agree that it can be a problem, but I haven't quite figured out a happy medium that most people will be okay with. Generally, when you can scroll through a full page of 15 posts and sometimes more than 2/3rd of the page is filled with signatures it can really make the message/intention of the forum a bit convoluted.

At the same time, I understand that signatures are a great way to personalize your account and also the forum as a whole and gives it much warmer feeling.

You can edit your preferences to not show signatures as a whole. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to just not show specific ones (unless I've missed that).

I can control the number of images in a signature. I can control the total size (in Kbs) of signatures. I can control the maximum dimensions of the images. I can also control the total number of lines allowed and also how many URL's are allowed. I'm open to suggestions.

Take a look at one of the newer threads to see what I mean...how about the Bread Scares Me thread as an example.

http://www.occforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12132

If you scroll down that page top to bottom, you can see that a vast majority of the page is consumed by signatures. It has a fairly large impact on the overall "readability" of the site.

Maybe a poll is in order to see how the majority of members feel about it. I'll work on putting one together.

• Like 1

Well, my thoughts..

As a fairly new member I really appreciate the pictures and can understand how some of us who have waited most of our lives to loose weight may want to share that in anyway we can...so far I don't have a problem with it..other than for myself I think its too much work besides what I have taken time to do so far..and I don't see myself adding anything more other than a before and after picture somewhere god willing someday. Can the pictures be made smaller..like our profile ones? Maybe a size guideline...Otherwise you know the saying "you can't please all the people all the time..."

Oh, and other sites/forums seem to basically have the same type of things..this is the first complaint I have read...

lol!

Ok, I can see both sides of the argument. I am a regular on forums, or I used to be, and I agree, there is normally a rule against huge sigs. However, I love looking at everyone's before and after pictures and I have never had an issue with it on this forum.

And by the way, I clicked on this link on my phone and it loaded immediately, pictures and all... I think it is time to upgrade Lindsay! :)

• Like 1

Can you put a stop to these? :angry:

UGH.

I too do not see a problem with the signatures and love seeing them! It shows how proud everyone are of the progress. If it is causing issues with uploading a page then I understand. Maybe photos can be set to a max so everyone view our progress and not have problems opening the page.

:lol:

I too, love the photo's. I do not have a problem with them slowing down my system, but sure that it could. When I first started coming to this site, the pic's where a big part of why I liked coming back. Seeing everyone's progress was very encouraging. I understand the pics are to go in the gallery, but I do like them on the signatures....its nice to see who your chatting with.

Take a look at one of the newer threads to see what I mean...how about the Bread Scares Me thread as an example.

http://www.occforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12132

If you scroll down that page top to bottom, you can see that a vast majority of the page is consumed by signatures. It has a fairly large impact on the overall "readability" of the site.

Maybe a poll is in order to see how the majority of members feel about it. I'll work on putting one together.

i see what you're saying... but the stats are nice to look at. it shouldn't really bother anyone.. i looked at my signature and wondered if there was anything i'd like to get rid of and i might make some changes... but it's really not a big deal.

i see what you're saying... but the stats are nice to look at. it shouldn't really bother anyone.. i looked at my signature and wondered if there was anything i'd like to get rid of and i might make some changes... but it's really not a big deal.

If 2 out of 3 people had signatures like that ..........

it's a usability issue.

nothing personal, fug.

Everyone thinks I'm being 'mean'. :unsure:

LOL .. no one gets the larger point, which is what I was getting at.

Honestly, I don't think it's a huge deal either. For me it's more about readability than about page loading speed. Unless you have the cache disabled in your browser it really shouldn't have any impact on the page loading speed.

Either way, Revy made her signature photos much, much better sized. Thank you :)

As far as people thinking anyone is being mean...well, welcome to the Internet. There are a lot of different personalities all thrown together on a forum like this. When you aren't communicating with a person face to face a lot of misunderstandings can take place. Just being "matter of fact" about something can quite easily come off as being mean to certain types of people. There have been many people that think I'm a total jerk. One even threatened to try to have me fired over banning a person that was causing trouble. My advice, just think twice before posting and give a little thought to how others may interpret what you're writing. What's that saying I remember hearing as a kid? Something like "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't think it's a huge deal either. For me it's more about readability than about page loading speed. Unless you have the cache disabled in your browser it really shouldn't have any impact on the page loading speed.

Either way, Revy made her signature photos much, much better sized. Thank you :)

As far as people thinking anyone is being mean...well, welcome to the Internet. There are a lot of different personalities all thrown together on a forum like this. When you aren't communicating with a person face to face a lot of misunderstandings can take place. Just being "matter of fact" about something can quite easily come off as being mean to certain types of people. There have been many people that think I'm a total jerk. One even threatened to try to have me fired over banning a person that was causing trouble. My advice, just think twice before posting and give a little thought to how others may interpret what you're writing. What's that saying I remember hearing as a kid? Something like "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Hi Chad,

I have a question for your regarding pictures for gallery. If I want to take pictures of my progress to-date, how much clothing can I take off? Will bra and underwear be okay?

I don't see a problem with that. If we do get a lot of complaints I may need to remove them, though. We'll just need to say how it goes.

Okay, not sure if, how and when since I am still thinking about it but I thought I would ask before I just do it.