300+ and scared to have surgery

tallman9

I am 46 years old and am 300+. I hurt most of the time and feel like I have no life. Like my body is keeping me a prisoner. Has anyone been close to my age and weight and gone through a lap band?

I was 300 pounds and age 53. I had retired and did real well managing my weight the first summer I was retired. Then the weight started to creep back on. I was heading towards my heaviest weight (350), which was when I was in college. I had looked into lapbanding back in 2000, but I chickened out and told myself the same line of BS I had been telling myself all these years, "I can do this myself,, Why do I need WLS?" So, right after Christmas 2006 I stepped on the scale and told myself this was nuts, I couldn't do this on my own. Since I had to pay out of pocket, I went on-line and did the research and came up with the OCC. On March 1st 2007, I flew to San Diego, the OCC picked me up and from that point on, changed my life. Yes,, I had a ton of anxiety, but after loosing 100 pounds, I found it was the smartest thing I had ever done concerning my life. Knowing what I know now, I tell people that I should have done it back in 2000. I only wish they would have had this WLS back when I was a teenager. God only knows what my life would have been like.

I am 46 years old and am 300+. I hurt most of the time and feel like I have no life. Like my body is keeping me a prisoner. Has anyone been close to my age and weight and gone through a lap band?

You did not say if you are male or female but it does not matter. I am a 52 year old male and hit 313 lbs when I made the decision to get the lapband. It has turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. Like you, before the surgery I was in almost constant pain from arthritis and overall bady aches. I did not sleep well at night. I had no energy. And the embarassment of not being able to ride roller coasters with my kids, needing a belt extender on airplanes, breaking beach chairs, etc. destroyed my state of mind and self esteem.

I was banded on April 5 so I am almost 2 months out. I am down to 279 and feel 100% better. I cannot recommend the band or the OCC enough. But as you will read throughout this forum, the band is only a tool, not a cure-all. You have to get your mind right and be prepared to work hard at following the rules -- it sometimes can require great discipline. But if you do, the result will be life-changing. You can do it!!

I am 34 yrs old . I also weighed 316 ibs when I decided I had to do something drastic . I am a mother and I need to be able to keep up with my kids , and i also had 0 energy and my body hurt and I thought to myself , if I hurt now what the hell is going to happen to me when i get older.... GET THE HELP, YOU DESERVE IT ! :rolleyes: P.s. I am down 55ibs since feb 9 2010

Ha! You sound like me! I was 41 and 300+ when I made the best decision of my life. Oddly enough, I felt a little guilty for doing something of this magnitude for myself but I am so glad I made the decision. I was banded at the OCC on April 23rd and am doing fabulously! They took great care of me and all my problems. The surgery went better than I could have imagined - I was up shopping in TJ all day the day after surgery!

Good luck to you!

i am 336 lbs and 33 years old and i am getting banded on june 28th. I cant imigane at this weight how i would feel in my 40's and 50's. I am nervous and have second thoughts all the time but every night i dont sleep good or every morning i wake up sore it just reassures me i am making the right decision

Hi,

I was 278 pounds and holding when my daughter surpassed me at age 22 for a 300 weight..she forced the issue by going first for her band after we carefully researched it. She was scared, so was I. I went with her to the OCC, watched the process every step and a month later went for it myself. I too felt guilty spending that kind of money on myself..but every time I can walk or breath easier, or my heart feels better, or I get a complement, or can eat without guilt, I thank God I did it. I was scared-- it is a scary thing to do but it is surgery for yourself and your life...life changing as many here have said. Oh, and I am 49 and did not want to hit 50 as an obese out of shape old lady....