My next NSV

jhawkchick75

Did my next race today...not too bad considering I have been sick for almost 2 weeks and am still not 100%. I ran it for Alzheimer's Association which was really cool as I lost my grandad to that and my step-grandma is now fighting it. Raised almost $1,200 for our team and even though it was hilly finished the 5k in less than 40 minutes.

My next run is in July i'm excited gives me something to work towards. I'll try to post a couple pics.

28508_578594156335_82402921_3375882.jpg

28508_578594171305_82402921_3375882.jpg

• Like 1

Great job...I so like reading about everyone's positives...I hope some day to do something similar the Breast Cancer 3 day is a goal, as well as something for liver cancer, I lost my husband two years ago to that...for now I am happy just being able to get out and walk at 40 pounds less than I used to. I can tell the difference with my breathing and stamina. What do you suggest for sore legs? I always seem to get them after a 2-3 mile walk..or can I just figure they will get stronger? Love your pictures!

Walmart sells these wonderful Epson salts with different oils in them for muscles, calming you, sleep etc. I use the Chamomille. It smells wonderful and is so soothing. Each night I have a nice soak in the tub with these and don't have any problems with muscle soreness

Did my next race today...not too bad considering I have been sick for almost 2 weeks and am still not 100%. I ran it for Alzheimer's Association which was really cool as I lost my grandad to that and my step-grandma is now fighting it. Raised almost $1,200 for our team and even though it was hilly finished the 5k in less than 40 minutes.

My next run is in July i'm excited gives me something to work towards. I'll try to post a couple pics.

Shelby you are awesome! Way to raise a good amount of cash for the Alzheimer's Association!!! Great time too!

Thanks you all!

Michele, I agree on the salts and just after workouts allowing your body to heal a bit. I am also a big fan of icy hot patches I use a lot of those. As you continue to work out your body will adjust and get used to it.

Another thing you can do is up your potassium intake. Potassium helps those muscles heal and will keep them in check. Good job on getting out there and getting active! I had to wait a bit to start exercising as I was just too heavy, but as you lose the weight you will see it gets much easier. I started w/ just walking then moved on to Zumba and then running. So it was quite a process to get up to where I am now. I used to say the only way I would run is if someone was chasing me with a knife so give it time you will get there!

Congrats :wub: You look wonderful !!! Keep it going...your time was great!

• 2 weeks later...

Had to add another on here - I did a race called Dog N Jog this past weekend. It is only 2 miles, but it was a big deal because it was my dog Pete's first race! He is 9 years old and I don't ever take him on runs but he did the whole 2 miles and ran the whole time! Here is a pic of him on the winner's stand. He didn't win, but is a winner in my book. I'm pretty sure he was the oldest dog in the race.

PeteDogJog.jpg

He was too cute he crashed the rest of the day but I gave him lots of treats and love after that! :)

Hi Everyone,

Love the latest race! your dog is super cute. Thanks all for the Epsom Salt tip..is there a brand name? I don't have a Walmart near me but I do have have a Target?? I like the leg soak idea, and the potassium is one I figured out on my own after two nights of leg cramps..love your comments about the running--not sure if I will ever do that with my age and heart issues -- but race walking and swimming are some goals. Keep up the great tips and pictures it gives me hope and motivation...

Hi Everyone,

Love the latest race! your dog is super cute. Thanks all for the Epsom Salt tip..is there a brand name? I don't have a Walmart near me but I do have have a Target?? I like the leg soak idea, and the potassium is one I figured out on my own after two nights of leg cramps..love your comments about the running--not sure if I will ever do that with my age and heart issues -- but race walking and swimming are some goals. Keep up the great tips and pictures it gives me hope and motivation...

Yeah Target should have the salt as well. You would be amazed with what the body can do - so I say definitely try out walking and swimming. I just encourage folks to find what interests them so they stay with it. I have a heart condition and have had two surgeries but now have been given a clean bill of health (still have to see the cardiologist every 6mos, but so far so good).

Shelby,

Congrats on both of your races. Pete is a cutie. I am so proud of you. Such an Amazing accomplishment! Plus raising so much for Alzheimer, Wow, that's AWESOME!!!

BTW, I thought I posted before, eeekkk... sorry.

Hugs,

Kristi

• 3 months later...

Thanks, for sharing. Good info and pics