Product Review

Lindsay

Metamucil Wafers Ingredients

(http://www.metamucil.com/metamucil-fiber-wafers.php)

Apple Wafers: Wheat Flour, Corn Oil, Sucrose, Psyllium Husk, Fructose, Oat Hull Fiber, Brown Sugar, Corn Starch, Soy Lecithin, Cinnamon, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Molasses, Sodium Bicarbonate, Ascorbic Acid (Preservative)

Cinnamon Wafers: Wheat Flour, Corn Oil, Sucrose, Psyllium Husk, Oats, Fructose, Oat Hull Fiber, Corn Starch, Soy Lecithin, Cinnamon, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Molasses, Sodium Bicarbonate, Ascorbic Acid (Preservative)

Inactive Ingredients

Apple Wafers: Ascorbic Acid, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Corn Oil, Corn Starch, Fructose, Soy Lecithin, Molasses, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Oat Hull Fiber, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sucrose, Wheat Flour

Cinnamon Wafers: Ascorbic Acid, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Corn Oil, Corn Starch, Fructose, Soy Lecithin, Molasses, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Oat Hull Fiber, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sucrose, Wheat Flour

Active Ingredient (per dose)

Psyllium Husk, Approximately 3.4 g

Metamucil Wafers provide a great-tasting way to increase your daily fiber intake. Each adult serving of Metamucil Wafers provides 6 grams of 100% natural fiber.

--

I just purchased a box of these, which wasn't cheap at $16.99 (cdn dollars)

I've been feeling a bit 'clogged' lately, and find real/raw food tends to help a lot more than pills that are hard to keep down.

*Fibre tip - always look for Psyllium Husk in any fibre product. It basically ensures it's a quality product, as it's the raw form of bran. Every 100 grams of psyllium provides 71 grams of soluble fiber.

Plantago psyllium is a plant native to Iran and India. Psyllium stalks contain tiny seeds, also called psyllium. The seeds are covered by husks, which is the part of the plant used in foods. The seed husk contains glycosides and mucilages which are used in the food industry to form gels that give thickening and textural changes to foods. The psyllium husk is a source of water soluble fiber, similar to fiber found in grains such as oats and barley. But the amount of soluble fiber in psyllium is much higher than oat bran. Every 100 grams of psyllium provides 71 grams of soluble fiber; a similar amount of oat bran would contain only 5 grams of soluble fiber. Only recently have scientists learned that soluble fiber has unique effects on metabolism.

The box is large, with 56 wafers, 28 servings/portions - they come in handy little on-the-go packets to prevent over eating.

100 cal, per package.

I opted for the "Apple Crisp' flavor, but I did see a chocolate variation on the shelf. It just contain larger amounts of artificial sweeteners, which I'm trying to stay away from.

The little package of 'wafers' looks small, but it took me almost 15 min to eat one. While it's not dense, it's not dry and doesn't have that dry taste that a lot of fibre products tend to have.

I would highly recommend these.

They taste good, without being too sweet or dry.

My rating (out of 4 stars): ****

Positive: They contain a good amount of soluable fibre.

Negative: Slightly high in sugar (6g) but that's probably why they taste so good!