No fill, but feeling possible restriction...normal?

Jenifer

I got banded on June 2nd, and I get my first fill on July 17th. My question is, what exactly does restriction feel like? I'm careful to chew very well, and if I notice I'm not hungry I'll stop eating instead of waiting for a full feeling like people with normal stomachs do.

"Don't challenge how much you can eat, challenge how little you can be satisfied with."

Well, I don't eat very much.

I made pork chops the other night, that were about the size of my palm, and some steamed vegetables on the side. I ate less than half my pork chop and maybe 3 or 4 bites of vegetables. Maybe 10 minutes after I stop eating I'll have a...Not full or stuffed feeling, but definitely a little...Bloated? I feel like I need to take a walk when this happens. I usually burp a couple of times, and feel a little better, but the feeling lasts for a while. There is no pain, there is no vomiting or even nausea. In fact, I haven't had any problems of pain or nausea since I've had my surgery. I can eat maybe half a taco and feel satisfied. I just want to know if this is normal.

Thanks

I got banded on June 2nd, and I get my first fill on July 17th. My question is, what exactly does restriction feel like? I'm careful to chew very well, and if I notice I'm not hungry I'll stop eating instead of waiting for a full feeling like people with normal stomachs do.

"Don't challenge how much you can eat, challenge how little you can be satisfied with."

Well, I don't eat very much.

I made pork chops the other night, that were about the size of my palm, and some steamed vegetables on the side. I ate less than half my pork chop and maybe 3 or 4 bites of vegetables. Maybe 10 minutes after I stop eating I'll have a...Not full or stuffed feeling, but definitely a little...Bloated? I feel like I need to take a walk when this happens. I usually burp a couple of times, and feel a little better, but the feeling lasts for a while. There is no pain, there is no vomiting or even nausea. In fact, I haven't had any problems of pain or nausea since I've had my surgery. I can eat maybe half a taco and feel satisfied. I just want to know if this is normal.

Thanks

A lot of patients have restriction from the beginning. I guess it depends on which band was placed inside of you and how much internal fat is wrapped around your stomach. As you lose weight, that internal fat is the first to go, that's why patients need several fills the first year after banding. As you lose weight and fat, the band will loosen up and require more saline. This problem is rare but normal. I think this is one of the reasons why bigger bands are the norm now. I think when you go for your first fill, don't be surprised you don't take much saline. I was in the same situation as you, I waited till my 10 week before having my first fill and I only took .4 tenths and every fill after I only took a half of a cc. I don't know where your going to have your first fill done, but it would be wise to have it done under fluoro. Number 1,, is to see that every thing is in the right place and working properly. Number 2, so the fill doctor can watch the flow with the barium swallow and make sure they don't over fill you. Being tight you could easily end up over filled on a blind fill. I don't get paid to say this, but if you had your surgery at the OCC, your best bet is going back to the OCC for your first fills.

A lot of patients have restriction from the beginning. I guess it depends on which band was placed inside of you and how much internal fat is wrapped around your stomach. As you lose weight, that internal fat is the first to go, that's why patients need several fills the first year after banding. As you lose weight and fat, the band will loosen up and require more saline. This problem is rare but normal. I think this is one of the reasons why bigger bands are the norm now. I think when you go for your first fill, don't be surprised you don't take much saline. I was in the same situation as you, I waited till my 10 week before having my first fill and I only took .4 tenths and every fill after I only took a half of a cc. I don't know where your going to have your first fill done, but it would be wise to have it done under fluoro. Number 1,, is to see that every thing is in the right place and working properly. Number 2, so the fill doctor can watch the flow with the barium swallow and make sure they don't over fill you. Being tight you could easily end up over filled on a blind fill. I don't get paid to say this, but if you had your surgery at the OCC, your best bet is going back to the OCC for your first fills.

I live in Southern California, so I'm definitely going back to OCC