going alone for surgery.....

stacv

My lapband surgery is 9/10/10. whoo hoo, so excited. I've gained a lot of weight over past 6 years from fertility and then divorce (yuk,

I am an emotional eater for sure). My sister was going to travel with me, but isn't now because of the cost of getting an expedited passport and airfare. I've heard so many scary things about traveling to Mexico lateley. I've been before but with a group and was never afraid. Has anyone been alone ? It seems that the locals would know we are there for surgery and scope out the hotels, etc for unsuspecting medical tourists (ha). I sound like a rambling scaredy cat, but just wondering since I am now a single mom and want to be safe for my kids. Funny, I'm not worried at all about the surgery, just staying in Mexico by myself.

My lapband surgery is 9/10/10. whoo hoo, so excited. I've gained a lot of weight over past 6 years from fertility and then divorce (yuk,

I am an emotional eater for sure). My sister was going to travel with me, but isn't now because of the cost of getting an expedited passport and airfare. I've heard so many scary things about traveling to Mexico lateley. I've been before but with a group and was never afraid. Has anyone been alone ? It seems that the locals would know we are there for surgery and scope out the hotels, etc for unsuspecting medical tourists (ha). I sound like a rambling scaredy cat, but just wondering since I am now a single mom and want to be safe for my kids. Funny, I'm not worried at all about the surgery, just staying in Mexico by myself.

I travelled alone from Canada , and had not problems at all. I to am a single mom so know how you feel.

I felt completely safe the whole time I was in Mexico. I stayed at the Marriott.

Debbie

I am going alone as well. My surgery is the 14th and am scheduled to have my non-adjustable band removed and a gastric sleeve done. My family is freaking out due to all the negative news from Mexico. I am fine. I have been reassured by staff here and at Cosmed that everything is safe where they are. So. . . I am off by myself as well.

I just had surgery the other day (8/23) and I went down by myself - it was way easy, nothing to be worried about. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town Sand Diego, they sent a shuttle to pick me up and take me from the air port to the hotel, Old town is great and safe, and just a few blocks long so I walked all around by myself that night, it was fun, the next mornign my shuttle driver for the hospital was waiting for me right at 9am outside of the hotel. He drove us across the border - we never had to get out of the van some one just poked their head in and counted us and we were flagged to move ahead, within 5ive minutes we were at the facility. Going back across the border was easy too, you just stand in line and the border guy glances at your passport and waves you on. He didn't stamp it, ask for id or anything - it looked more intemidating than it was. The shuttle driver was there the whole time.

thanks guys for your replies !! i'm excited and looking forward to my little mini vacation !! haha funny how having surgery to get away by yourself for a few days is something to look forward to ?

Isn't though!! LOL When do you leave for home? I am flying in on the 13th and staying at the Camino near the hospital. . . I am sure you will be on your way home by the time I get there! My passport should be here Wednesday. . . Something funny. . . I ordered an easy to wear outfit for the trip out there and back. . . It got here today and after being on my full liquid diet, it is WAY TOO BIG!!!! LOL Sending it back this week and ordering a smaller size. . . Heheheheheeeee Maybe I should just shop locally a couple of days before I leave. . . Sigh. . . I am also thinking about walking around the house with my jeans pulled down to just barely cover my butt to show my 16 year old what it looks like when I see him . . LOL