Started My Pre-Op Diet

Emily8

I started my pre-op diet on Saturday and today (Monday) it really hit me. I'm hungry! I on the two protein shakes and the lean cuisine meal. I started three weeks before my lap band date (9.17) because I have gained weight (210) since my decision weight (206) and I wanted to get back down and then loose my 5-10%.

I noticed the diet instructions said have minestrone soup when hungry. That is pretty much all the time. I am afraid to start in on it...I just emailed Dr. Miranda to see if there is a calorie limit for the diet. Right now I am eating a box of sugar free jello a day, piles of steamed broccoli and cucumbers in addition to the shakes and meal. Reading the forum is really helping when I fell like I can't stand it anymore.

Hey Emily! It will get better. . . I started my pre-op diet 11 days ago. Unlike you, I can only have full liquids for three weeks. Sigh. . .

You will especially feel better when you see the pounds slipping away. Today is Day 11 for me on this diet and the brain has finally realized that I am not starving to death and that I can do this. I have not cheated once since starting it and as of this a.m. have lost 18.8 pounds.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 14th. . . gastric sleeve. . . and I go home on the 21st (my choice). So, maybe we will get a chance to meet. . . Hope so!

Don't get me wrong. . . I am looking forward to the day I get to eat something that can't be sucked up through a straw, but today was the first day that it wasn't the FIRST thing on my mind. . .LOL

Shari

Hey Emily! It will get better. . . I started my pre-op diet 11 days ago. Unlike you, I can only have full liquids for three weeks. Sigh. . .

You will especially feel better when you see the pounds slipping away. Today is Day 11 for me on this diet and the brain has finally realized that I am not starving to death and that I can do this. I have not cheated once since starting it and as of this a.m. have lost 18.8 pounds.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 14th. . . gastric sleeve. . . and I go home on the 21st (my choice). So, maybe we will get a chance to meet. . . Hope so!

Don't get me wrong. . . I am looking forward to the day I get to eat something that can't be sucked up through a straw, but today was the first day that it wasn't the FIRST thing on my mind. . .LOL

Shari

Hi Shari,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Wow, three weeks of liquids pre-op. I should stop complaining.

Eleven days down, 18.8 pounds and no cheating, that is awesome!

Today I am down 5 pounds since Saturday. The really good news is when I used my keto sticks this morning and (for the first time since Saturday) the result was positive. I'm in ketosis. Yea for fat burning!

Would love to meet up with you in TJ. I'm staying at the Marriott.

Hi, started my #2 diet yesterday, I get banded on Sept 27, but I'm really afraid I won't lose enough weight so I'm starting early. Let's keep each other on track. I'm hungry too, I tap my forhead, tap tap tap. Someone brought brownies in to work yesterday and I succeeded. Drink water too, it will get better. lets stay in touch, where are you from? I'm in Ohio.

Hey! I am in the process of the pre-op diet as well, so I feel your pain!! I have been taking the Fiber Choice tablets for Weight Management and they have helped with the hunger pangs!! Hope this helps!! Good luck with your banding!! :D

Hi Shmee and Mark,

I'm in Washington state.

It went better today, I started the Metamucil capsules and that help (thanks Mark). Dr. Miranda told me not worry about the calories from the minestrone, it is so few. So, I added a bowl of the Safeway Signature minestrone, and that has helped, too.

Yes, let's keep in touch. It really helps to hear from other people going through the same process.

Hi Shari,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Wow, three weeks of liquids pre-op. I should stop complaining.

Eleven days down, 18.8 pounds and no cheating, that is awesome!

Today I am down 5 pounds since Saturday. The really good news is when I used my keto sticks this morning and (for the first time since Saturday) the result was positive. I'm in ketosis. Yea for fat burning!

Would love to meet up with you in TJ. I'm staying at the Marriott.

I'll be at the Camino. . . Shari Adams. . . Give me a call when you get in. . .

WTG! Five pounds in three days!! You rock! Keep it up!!

Hi guys, so I added a couple tablespoons of couscous last night and instead of chicken or fish I had 4 oz of tofu. I like meat but I don't like it everyday. I've been waiting to hear from Miranda about this, but so far she hasn't replied in 2 days. Have you guys emailed with her? I'm just wondering how long she usually takes to reply. I also ate 2 small pieces of watermellon. It's funny that this doesn't seem like much of a cheat compared to the rest of my life but because it's not on the list I feel bad. I've been using the online food tracker on my fit day.com. It helps me really see how much certain things are in calories or whatever. How are you guys doing? I have these great recipes a person posted on the LapBand forum (not associated with OCC). I'll share them. I haven't tried any yet but I plan too. I really think variety is important and let's face it there isn't much in this #2 diet. Oh and the fiber pills help me too.

Lisa

*_Morning Mocha_*

Chocolate Protein Powder

Scoop of instant Coffee

Skim milk/Soy milk

Ice

*_Orange Crème

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

Orange Crystal Lite

Ice

*_Tropical Breeze

_*

Vanilla Protein Powder

Vanilla Yogurt

1 Cup Mixed Frozen Fruit

Ice

*_Orange Julius

_*Vanilla protein powder

6 oz plain yogurt

6 oz orange juice

*_Butterscotch Candy

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

1 scoop sugar free butterscotch pudding mix

Skim milk/soy milk

*_Peanut Butter Cup

_*Chocolate Protein Powder

1 tsp. Peanut Butter

Milk/water

*_ 

Blueberry Berry

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

Vanilla Yogurt

Blueberries

Water/ice

*_The Hulk

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

1 scoop SF Pistachio Pudding Mix

Milk/Ice

*_ 

Cinnamon Roll

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

Cinnamon

Vanilla Extract

Ice

*_ 

Chocolate Almond Delight

_*Chocolate Protein Powder

A few raw Almonds/ Almond Extract

Milk/Water

Ice

*_Vanilla Coffee Delight

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

1 Scoop Instant Coffee

Milk

*_Gingerbread Man

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

1 Graham Cracker

Cinnamon

Vanilla extract

Ice/ Water

*_Key Lime Pie

_*Vanilla Protein Powder

! scoop SF Lime Pudding Mix

1 Graham Cracker

Ice/ Milk/Water

*_Strawberry Delight

_*Strawberry Protein Powder

Strawberry Yogurt

Ice/Water

I relied on tons of peas- sugar snap to be exact... Also the atkins shakes worked the best for me, but Trader Joes has an awesome shake with 35 grams of protein and low cal/low sugar and these were AWESOME...but they are $2.35 each...kind spendy...also lots of water or crystal lite helped a bunch...good luck!

Emily, are the metamucil caps helping. . . I usually take two a day and whether it is them or what, it seems to help. . .

I usually hear back the same day from Dr. Miranda, but I have only emailed her a few times. I really do need to call her and talk to her on Tuesday. . . Need to write myself a note.

Shmee, what brand of protein powder have you tried. . .Thanks for the recipes, btw. . . Will be anxious to give them a try. . .