Foods that are a absolute nono?!

Danana

What are the foods that the band absolutely can not handle or push through? I heard STEAK is the main one for everyone. Some people say they cant eat eggs or bread but then some people say they can? What are the best foods that never have a problem? I want to start making my grocery list for my new me and don't want to have any nasty situations!

Also, how long before we can take a bath or go swimming after getting banded?

What are the foods that the band absolutely can not handle or push through? I heard STEAK is the main one for everyone. Some people say they cant eat eggs or bread but then some people say they can? What are the best foods that never have a problem? I want to start making my grocery list for my new me and don't want to have any nasty situations!

I don't beleive there is a standard NO NO. It is a very personal tolerance. Thus far (6 weeks) I have not found any nono's. A thin pork chop that was a little dry was close but that is the only issue I have found thus far. I think dry meat is the thing I will need to watch out for. As far as swimming, they will give you info on that after surgery but if I remember correctly it is 3 weeks.

I had a shower, a day after my surgery.

I wouldn't soak it persa, for a couple of weeks, though.

Plus the bacteria in a pool .. just wait until your tiny little incisions look like they're well on there way to healing.

For me, that was only a few days.

Prior to a few fills, I could pretty much eat anything.

Not much restriction ..

But after my 6th or so, blind fill, my no food list to date is:

Bread

Pasta

Hamburgers (way too dense)

And I'm sure there are a lot of other things, that I just don't notice anymore.

I can't snack anymore, as that just fills me up for a real valuable meal, which should consist mostly of protein.

My no-no foods come and go.

Oddly enough,I can eat steak.

Sticky rice, if it's too sticky it will come right back up.

French Fries.. Even if i chew forever and only have one, it will get stuck.

Dry chicken breast..

Scrambled eggs.. almost ALWAYS a no-no

Hard Boiled eggs..I'm scared to even try them again. Got stuck once and it was painful.

It really is a personal journey to find what your band likes and doesn't. If you're in doubt, just try a little bite,chew very well and wait..don't keep eating because if you get stuck and you just swallowed another bite. it's not gonna be pretty.

as for the swimming. I waited about a month or month and a half before i started doing laps at my local pool. But as for showers, I showered the very next day. i was just careful to use a clean sponge every time.

• Like 1

I can eat salads. even with dressing. I can eat steak, but VERY tiny pieces. can't have bread or pasta or potatoes. NO WAY!!! gets stuck too easily.

i got stuck once on piece of kinda gummy not-quite-cooked pastry. once got stuck on a chunk of carnitas.

however, there is absolutely nothing i CANT eat. i think i got stuck on those two items bc i didnt chew properly, as ive eaten bread and carnitas several times since then. i have no problem eating eggs, steak, pork chop, pasta, fries, anything.

i will say, although ive had two fills, I am not at full restriction.. im just waiting for a chance to head back down to TJ.

Any type of dry meat is a no no...Trader Joe's Mahi Mahi burgers are the latest failed attempt...of course the time of day and stress and make almost any food a no no. I have found smaller snack type portions the best bet..and appetizers as a main course the best when eating out!

• 2 weeks later...

My no-no foods come and go.

Oddly enough,I can eat steak.

Sticky rice, if it's too sticky it will come right back up.

French Fries.. Even if i chew forever and only have one, it will get stuck.

Dry chicken breast..

Scrambled eggs.. almost ALWAYS a no-no

Hard Boiled eggs..I'm scared to even try them again. Got stuck once and it was painful.

It really is a personal journey to find what your band likes and doesn't. If you're in doubt, just try a little bite,chew very well and wait..don't keep eating because if you get stuck and you just swallowed another bite. it's not gonna be pretty.

as for the swimming. I waited about a month or month and a half before i started doing laps at my local pool. But as for showers, I showered the very next day. i was just careful to use a clean sponge every time.

Ooooh yes Erica. I forgot about the sticky rice. I love sushi. Now I have to pick off the rice. Weird yes but worth it to me.

Geez! Thought I was going to die tonight! My son made barbequed ribs and I love them. He made them nice and crispy, just the way I like them. Well, I was in pain for over an hour. I did all the wrong things; I did not chew well enough and I ate too quickly. Oh well...tough lesson learned (once again!!)

Geez! Thought I was going to die tonight! My son made barbequed ribs and I love them. He made them nice and crispy, just the way I like them. Well, I was in pain for over an hour. I did all the wrong things; I did not chew well enough and I ate too quickly. Oh well...tough lesson learned (once again!!)

Don't you hate that. :blink:

Ribs are a poor food choice anyways ;)

I've found the band reminds me that the foods that hurt going down (& and up coming back up) are typically crap food choices anyways.

Hard reminder for us! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great post. Keep them coming. I am still on the full liquid diet. Day 12 today but I am trying to get an idea of what it will be like once I start eating solids.

Also, quick question, how does it feel the first time you eat solids? I ask because I am going on a camping trip and it starts the Friday I am supposed to start solids. I was wondering if I should consider carrying over the liquids for 3 more days. I don't want to get stuck while I'm out in the wilderness. What if I'm in pain or I really get stuck. What do you guys think?

Just remember to chew. I would take some liquids along just in case you get scared but as long as you chew you should be fine. I've never been stuck and not have it work itself out. It can hurt like the dickens but it goes down eventually. I have even resorted to jumping up and down to get it to move. Hey....whatever works.

I don't beleive there is a standard NO NO. It is a very personal tolerance. Thus far (6 weeks) I have not found any nono's. A thin pork chop that was a little dry was close but that is the only issue I have found thus far. I think dry meat is the thing I will need to watch out for. As far as swimming, they will give you info on that after surgery but if I remember correctly it is 3 weeks.

Yes im on week 11 post op and i have not had a fill yet, ive lost 56lbs but i have minor issues, i can not seem to keep anything down in the morning or afternoons even tried coffee and tea didnt work for me, i can not eat bread, pasta, rice, citrus fruit,steak, pork chops and definately dry meat no left overs for me!! just wanted to share and let you know everybody is different. But i believe this band is saving my life. And ive tried other drastic measure and nothing worked for me but this band.

I am now 4weeks and 3days post op and I can eat anything but then again I haven't had a fill yet! I am sure after the fill some foods will become obsolete! At least that's what I am hoping for! Thank you guys for all your responses! I'll keep these in mind for later!

I just ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I thought long and hard about it because I know it wasn't such a good thing to do. I was worried that I would get stuck and I was chastising myself because I know it would have been better to have a protein packed smoothie. But you know what? I have been wanting a PB&J for days now. I walked past the Uncrustables at the store and my eyes lingered there. Every time I saw a commercial with kids having it for lunch at school, I wanted it. So, I ate it!:lol: I feel good, the desire for it is out of my system and, I'll eat right for the rest of the day. I guess the point I am trying to make is that sometimes you just have to stray. As long as it's not every day it's not such a bad thing. The fact that I wanted it for days and that it was not just an impulse let me give in to myself. I'm done with it now and have no desire to eat more PB&Js. :D

if you can't keep anything down morning or afternoon ... how are you staying nutritionally healthy

Yes im on week 11 post op and i have not had a fill yet, ive lost 56lbs but i have minor issues, i can not seem to keep anything down in the morning or afternoons even tried coffee and tea didnt work for me, i can not eat bread, pasta, rice, citrus fruit,steak, pork chops and definately dry meat no left overs for me!! just wanted to share and let you know everybody is different. But i believe this band is saving my life. And ive tried other drastic measure and nothing worked for me but this band.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

THANK GOD I can eat sushi and rolls. Only ~one~ time I felt gacky/heartburn after eating a piece of a roll. I was so bummed, I thought I was done with sushi...but I tried it again a week or so later...chewed really well, ate really slow...and I was fine. I am fine with eggs...and all meat. I just go slow and chew chew chew. I'm usually really ok at night...the mornings I have to go ~really~ slow. Oh...I used to love salads for lunch...I have a problem with lettuce at lunch time, but not really for dinner...go figure...everyone is different.

• 3 months later...