Take a cab instead of waiting for the OCC shuttle!

This is just a FYI for those that are interested in taking a cab instead of waiting for the shuttle. The day after my surgery, the shuttle was going to take a group back over the border at 11 am, I was done at 9am and didn't want to wait around. I took a cab to the border and got in line. Yes, it was a long line but I did it anyway. It took me 2 hours to finally cross over the border, so I told myself that next time I would wait for the shuttle because I thought that it was shorter.

Wrong decision! I went in for my first fill at 9am on December 3rd(friday), I was done about 9:30ish and decided to just wait for the shuttle (stupid decision). The shuttle arrived late and we didn't leave until close to 11:30. We got to the TJ border and the shuttle driver said the line was really long so he decided to go to the other nearby border crossing (Otay-Mesa), that line was shorter. We still had to exit the shuttle van and stand in line! We made it across in about 1 1/2 hours, than we had to wait another 30-45 minutes for the shuttle driver to make it across. Then drive another 20 minutes to where are cars were parked (TJ border). I finally made it to my car around 2pm!

All in all, I will never take the shuttle again (even though the driver was super nice). I know it's not the shuttle driver's fault as they can't predict the lines, but it is waaaaay more quicker and easier to just take a cab to the border yourself. The line will be long, but it is much quicker than the shuttle.

Yes the line up at the border is crazy we waited over 3 three hours at the border, but in the OCC van you feel safe and comfortable. The peddlers don't bother you and he knows the best way to cross. He is responsible for you and getting you to your destination. The driver also said that Nov. and dec is always busier because of the holiday seasons. I wouldn't feel real safe or comfortable taking a cab. P.S. don't drink lots of fluids before leaving because there are no bathrooms along the way.

Hi my band family,

i just wanted to reply to this one, as I have crossed the border in my own car, in the shuttle and on foot... most days, the shuttle is the fastest way to cross! I would never walk across again.... hated it, but that's just me. I felt much more secure (and much more comfortable) in the van! When my husband travels with me, I like being in our own car, but sometimes, the shuttle line is faster!! But I do like not having to get out and go through customs when we drive ourselves! Its a personal choice, but for me... I'd choose the shuttle over standing in that border line any day :) Starting just prior to Thanksgiving and through the New Year, the line at the border can get kind of crazy, so please plan ahead!!

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the tip - how much was the cab ride?

The cab was only $5. I am going to get another fill this week, so I will definitely be going by cab. I felt completely safe and secure (I was by myself). You just pick up a cab outside OCC and the cab will take you to the end of the line at the border. You just exit the cab and hop in line. I will be bringing a book to read while in line, plus make sure you have comfy shoes.

Maybe the shuttle has been better for other people, but not for me. I prefer to get the early appointment of the day so I can make it back across the border before the line gets too long. If you wait until later in the day, I heard it gets longer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to leave an update from my last fill on January 27, 2011 (Thursday). I had an appt at 9:30 am, but didn't get seen by the doctor until close to 10:30 (he was running late that day). It was a quick fill and I was out the door about 10 minutes later. I once again took a cab (they had to call one for me, as they are no longer waiting outside). The super nice cab driver drove me to the spot that they usually drop people off (they can't get much closer as they will get stuck in the main border crossing line). He even told me, "Wow, lucky you...no line! I couldn't believe it! NO LINE AT ALL! I was totally shocked! I walked right up to the border, went through the revolving gate doors and got in the border inspector line. There was maybe 5 people in front of me and the whole time, I was thinking to myself..."is this how it's supposed to be? Is this normal?". Then I was thinking of the people that were stuck in the shuttle that wouldn't make it across for hours.

So I hope this helps people make a decision whether to take the shuttle or cab. Some people may think that it is scary walking across alone, but it wasn't for me. Yes, I may have been the only blonde girl walking across the border at the time, but there were certainly plenty of tourists all around me and I never felt scared.

@Lil2LoseLot2Gain

I usually park at the Border Station parking. The first lot on the right when you exit the freeway. Yes, it's the same lot as the Mexicoach pick up. Also, another tip: If you prepay the parking attendant it's $1 cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

This could have been a fluke. Anyone going to the border should understand it does take time to get back through and honestly, there's no way of gauging...only estimation. Give the guy a break. I'd much rather ride in the shuttle with other patients, in the security of an OCC employee then just winging it on my own. But that's my own comfort level. I really didn't care how long it took as long as we got back to the airport in time to catch my flight. We had to be at border crossing around 5am when I took the shuttle and it was a mad house, but it comes with the territory.