Carbonation?

Is it true that we bandsters can never have carbonated drinks again or is it after 6months we can?

I thought I remembered not for a year but I may be wrong.

I was told 6 months by Dr Ortiz, but to be honest, after I started to really feel restriction from my band, it was never easy to keep them down.

I don't drink anything with 'bubbles', so to speak, anymore. They give me bad acid reflex!

I used to be a very big diet pop drinker, but I'm over it now.

I was under the impression it was six months. Im now 8 mo post op and I still dont drink carbonated drinks, mainly bc its uncomfortable. I cant really burp at all anymore so imagine drinking a coke and not being able to burp? i had given up soda well before the band but after living in europe got totally addicted to sparkling water, miss that loads, might consider having it again after the year mark.

Thanks for all the responses! I am just dying for a diet coke! Drink options are limited at work so my only options are water or tea..water or tea! Tea probably has more calories than the diet coke so I hope 6months comes quick!

Ugh. My first and last carbonated drink was a year and a half after the surgery. I had one of those Pear Sangria's from Applebee's. I lived in high elevation and was trying to burp but couldn't. I started to get the "stuck" feeling so I went for a walk to get things moving. Well, it was like I shook up a can of soda by the time I pb'd! NEVER AGAIN will I have carbonation.

I usually don't grab one out the fridge and drink anything with bubbles, But I do take sips from my boyfriend's pop just to get rid of the craving... I just really try to stay away from it completely. It makes me burp like crazy and then I start making loud bubbling noises in my tummy..LOL and I heard it was 6 months.. :)

I found that after I wasn't drinking carbonated drinks that when i do I can only stand them in small amounts. Not so much because of the burping but I guess you feel the pain that carbonation has on your body. So I do crave them sometimes and I will have a drink here and there of others but for the most part I just stay away from it.

I waited almost 3 months, I have had several drinks of my husbands beer in the last couple weeks, that was fine. but one time at christmas, we had sparkling apple juice, I had eaten dinner, and took several drink of it, almost pb'd, but it was fine - then I finished the cup about a half hour later with small drinks and not having just eaten, and that was fine. Just take it slow. and don't let it stop you from drinking water. caffeine really dehydrates. I have this issue with coffee.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 4 months out and have just started drinking carbonated beverages sparingly. Before I was banded, I regularly consumed 5-6 diet sodas each day. Now I drink 4 ounces of diet soda or sparkling water once or twice a day with no ill effects. I do make my own carbonated beverages with a Sodastream machine and use far less carbonation than that found in store bought products. For me, the real danger with carbonated beverages is that I associate them with eating salty snack foods such as popcorn, chips and nuts. So, I keep none of these snack foods around and use a slowly sipped carbonated beverage as a treat after exercising or in the evening.