Approx. how many calories does everyone eat per day?

How many calories does everyone eat per day? I was told by the Surgeon that is doing my fills that 500-800 calories is the average for the people who are loosing about 2 pounds per week with the Lap Band. Do those of you who are losing weight find this to be about right? He said people who are Morbidly obese need to eat less calories per day to loose weight. He also said as long as I take my vitamins and make sure I am getting my protein, veggies, and water then that is all I should need... I guess you must have to have a band that is pretty tight to feel full after that few calories...? I get my next fill the end of the month and I hope and pray for some more restriction at that time.

How many calories does everyone eat per day? I was told by the Surgeon that is doing my fills that 500-800 calories is the average for the people who are loosing about 2 pounds per week with the Lap Band. Do those of you who are losing weight find this to be about right? He said people who are Morbidly obese need to eat less calories per day to loose weight. He also said as long as I take my vitamins and make sure I am getting my protein, veggies, and water then that is all I should need... I guess you must have to have a band that is pretty tight to feel full after that few calories...? I get my next fill the end of the month and I hope and pray for some more restriction at that time.

Although I have not counted my calories on a regular basis, I would say that he is probably fairly accurate on his statement. I think I am consuming approx 800 to 1000 calories a day currently and at that amount am maintaining my current weight loss without any problem. I absolutely do the protein, vegetable, fruit then the occasional carb. I also have flavored water at the ready 24/7

Although I have not counted my calories on a regular basis, I would say that he is probably fairly accurate on his statement. I think I am consuming approx 800 to 1000 calories a day currently and at that amount am maintaining my current weight loss without any problem. I absolutely do the protein, vegetable, fruit then the occasional carb. I also have flavored water at the ready 24/7

I ate 1300-1700 calories a day the whole time I was loosing. I did exercise everyday though for 30-60 minutes. I consistently lost 1-3 pounds a week and never hit a plateau.

I personally think that eating too few calories is one of the main reasons that people have trouble loosing weight. Think of your body as a furnace. The fuel you feed it either stokes the fire and keeps it roaring and therefore burning more fat or if you don't give your fire ( body) enough fuel it slows down to embers and hangs on to everything you give it .

Simple visual you throw wood on the fire and it keeps roaring and consuming the fuel. If you stop throwing wood on the fire the fire will eventually go right to embers and can even burn out.

Hope that helps

Debbie

• Like 1

I find the comments above interesting.

I have a gut feeling, if you stuck with between 1200-1400 cal's a day, you's lose weight.

If you tink about how many EXTRA cal's you need to take in to 1 lb, that would still keep you much lower than you're used to having on a regular, consistent basis.

With that being said, as my band is right now, on the tight side, I take in an avg of about 800 cals. There ARE days when I know I need more to keep going.

I have a very physical job, and I'm moving all day long ... on my slower days, 800 calories is fine.

I wouldn't worry about a caloric intake goal. Just amke sure the majority of your calories are coming from PROTEIN, and not carbohydrates and SUGARS (which are hidden in most pre-packaged foods).

Just starting a food journal can be quite telling, and it takes a good few weeks to get the hang of it, without it taking up a lot of your time!

It does get a lot easier, and before you know it, you'll be accurately 'guessing' calories you're taking in, and you'll just know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this forum today - seems to be active and need to give it a try. I had LB in April 09, and am now yo-yo'ing between 80 to 85 lbs down.... need to get this going again.

Having introduced myself, let me reply to this thread. My Dr wants me at about 1300 a day, i lost weight at 1100 - 1300 range. I find I often drop below 1000, and then i loose nothing. So.. time to get kickstarted, and I am hoping this forum will help get me back on the straight and narrow..

Have a great weekend guys. Right decisions, right food, and over 1000 calories a day..

PhatOne

• 6 years later...

I am 68, have a Midband. and was banded 6 years ago, just about the time I became really disabled and housebound.   I have struggled to lose ever since, although trying my best with seated exercise to make up for not getting out.  My problem is my band is ultra tight on a 2 ml fill and prevents me eating hardly any protein and veg.  I am eating about 1000 calories a day and eat a lot of yogurts, shakes, soups etc.   I am now getting giddiness.  Any suggestions please?.