Is it normal to see the band working better after 7 months?

Momof4

I was banded last August with Dr. Ortiz. In the beginning the weight loss was gradual. I had 3 fills, and am at 5.5 cc in an 11 cc band. My last fill was in March. Now, 3 months after my last fill, the weight loss is really picking up, about 3 lbs/week. It's like all of a sudden, I really feel restriction and things are clicking, is that normal?

I have never had soda since the surgery, but I did try and drink some alcohol recently and my body threw it up, the INSTANT it hit my stomach... any ideas on that?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have had my gastric band for three years and the last few day I can't keep anything down I have slimy vomit even after liquid ihave not had my band tightened for over a year have I got a problem please help not feeling great

I'd see my lap band doctor ASAP, you may have done something to your band or it has slipped.

• 2 months later...

It’s not something you want to do. I have anti nausea pills in case I ever get sick.

Have I ever thrown up – yes – (I can't tell you where it comes from...) but there’s always a chance you can slip your band if you throw up hard. We generally work hard not to.

How do you do that? You stay away from sick people – wash your hands often – and keep anti nausea medication on hand. I have some at home – at the office and in my purse. You never know – and they do work. If you ask your doctor for a prescription, they will most likely give you one. Over the counter anti nausea works too.

Momof4, I don't know, I've had the band a year and wish mine started working that well LOL. No seriously, I've had no fill in over 1.5 months and I am suddenly really tight. I have a mentor that has had the band for like 4 years, and she one day, after not having a fill for a year, suddenly couldn't keep anything down and had to get an unfil. Id don't think it's unusual for it to change on it's own. as long as you aren't spitting up a lot, and can get enough solid food down, etc you are ok. if that changes go to the doctor.

hayley, if it doesn't feel serious, maybe go to liquids for a couple days, maybe you've irritated things, but if it persists, like slimmy vommit daily for like a week go to the doctor.