Canadian

RobLaird

Hi,

Niagara Region here. I just got back this morning after having my surgery on Wednesday. Ontario doctors will do your fills buy they will make you pay through the nose for going else where for the surgery. My advice is either to locate an MD in the US within driving distance of where you live or book a few months ahead on Travelocity and fly to Mexico for a day and a half.

• Like 1

OK Thanks, That's what I was wondering. I hope your surgery went well and would love to hear from you as to how the experience was for you? I am currently going back and forth between going to Mexico for the lap Band and just continuing on with the gastric bypass in Hamilton.

Hi Rob,

Is OHIP paying for the Hamilton surgery? I tried that route but I found in order to qualify you needed a bunch of "co-morbidities" which luckily / unluckily I didn't have.

I'll leave and email with my phone number for you.

Regards,

Colin

No OHIP only pays for the Route en Y surgery or sleeve surgery. I keep thinking that the band would be better since it is less invasive..I just worry that if i go to Mexico for surgery that i will have a hard time finding a Dr willing to help when i get back to Canada..

No OHIP only pays for the Route en Y surgery or sleeve surgery. I keep thinking that the band would be better since it is less invasive..I just worry that if i go to Mexico for surgery that i will have a hard time finding a Dr willing to help when i get back to Canada..

I completely understand your concern -- I wouldn't do it now, knowing what I know about how things have quickly changed, and how doctors here will NOT TOUCH ME!

I do hear a lot about the sleeve on here ... but the weight loss seems drastically slower and far less than what I was seeing with the band.

While it's not nearly as difficult to deal with (getting the right fill spot, etc) I don't hear much about success on the forum (as of yet)

I located 5 -6 doctors in Florida who will do fills. The first fill is $150 and every subsquent fill is $80. So combining a Florida golf vaction and a fill or two seems to be sensible.

On the funny side, I spoke with a "low-life-scum-sucking-pig-doctor" who is affilitated with the Credit Valley Hosp in Mississauga who offered to do as many fills as needed over the next five years for..........................EIGHT GRAND!!!!!!!................LOL I told him that when and if he ever got the internet he should check out some travel sites.................Travelling to Mexico 20 times or Mississauga.....tough decsion................;-)

There is also a good fill doctor in Vegas, if you are inclined to have a gambling trip as well. Not sure if there are good deals from Ontario to vegas, but just a thought

I located 5 -6 doctors in Florida who will do fills. The first fill is $150 and every subsquent fill is $80. So combining a Florida golf vaction and a fill or two seems to be sensible.

On the funny side, I spoke with a "low-life-scum-sucking-pig-doctor" who is affilitated with the Credit Valley Hosp in Mississauga who offered to do as many fills as needed over the next five years for..........................EIGHT GRAND!!!!!!!................LOL I told him that when and if he ever got the internet he should check out some travel sites.................Travelling to Mexico 20 times or Mississauga.....tough decsion................;-)

Yes, I know that dr. He's actually very well known and he's a decent one at that. ... I have a friend who got her band with him, as her mom is a doctor at Credit Valley, as well. That's the standard pricing for foreign lapbander support. It's the same price at CIBO. It's a huge liability for them to take us on as clients -- every doctor as their own way of placing the band, etc.

I can only speak about CIBO, but they have an incredible support & education program that all of their banders are encouraged to participate in pre and post surgery, personal training and use of their private gym .... a lot of bonus' for people who otherwise wouldn't have a clue about what to do next. The band doesn't work without those things -- and A LOT of people don't do it, and aren't successful.

Ontario doctors are very well aware of the cost, and how much we paid to go over the boarder -- but they offer local support, followup & convenience -- something you can't get otherwise. So it's really a trade off .... Like you said, you might not even get the band, because you can find fills locally.

• 2 years later...

Hi fellow Canadians,

Thank you for posting its nice to see someone else from Canada!!

How are you all doing/feeling now?

I'm curious about everything but as my date is approaching, March 7, I'd like to know what you did for medical and travel insurance.

Thank you in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Hi fellow Canadians,

Thank you for posting its nice to see someone else .om Canada!!

How are you all doing/feeling now?

I'm curious about everything but as my date is approaching, March 7, I'd like to know what you did for medical and travel insurance.

Thank you in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Hi yycgirl, my 6 month anniversary is march 6 and by far I have no regrets. I have lost 50 pounds and have 15 more to

Go. It is a lifestyle change and I am more cautios of what goes in my body. But overall my lfe is normal.

I honestly did not buy any sort of travel or medical insurance. I had a wonderful experience at the clinic and was up and about not long

After surgery. The staff was great and everyone was very friendlynand helpful. Good luck and tell us how it goes for you.