Is the OCC & Dr. Ortiz the real deal?

While I am in the final stages of being denied by my insurance company, I've had the opportunity to research surgery options in Mexico. I've traveled across the US/Mexico border and I am not nervous about that...I've had abdominal surgery and I am not nervous about that....however I would love to hear from others - Is the Obesity Control Center and Dr Ortiz the "real deal"?

1. What was the pre-op surgery testing like?

2. Did you feel the team had your best interest in mind?

3. How was your follow up care? Especially recovery in a hotel?

4. Any issues with discomfort traveling home by plane?

5. Did you ever have to call Dr. Ortiz needing post surgical support? I guess for infection or other?

THANKS!

While I am in the final stages of being denied by my insurance company, I've had the opportunity to research surgery options in Mexico. I've traveled across the US/Mexico border and I am not nervous about that...I've had abdominal surgery and I am not nervous about that....however I would love to hear from others - Is the Obesity Control Center and Dr Ortiz the "real deal"?

5. Did you ever have to call Dr. Ortiz needing post surgical support? I guess for infection or other?

THANKS!

Yep, he's the real deal. I was lap banded in March 2007 and have never regreted it for a minute. I can't tell you what it's like to have the Gastric Sleeve surgery, but I remember the band surgery was very easy and I remember walking all around TJ the next day and I felt great. Dr. Ortiz is probably one of the top WLS surgeons in the world. Is he perfect? I can't answer that, I guess the saying goes that no one is perfect. Does he live on his reputation? Yes, All WLS surgeons do, otherwise no one would go to them. With the power of the Internet, if Dr. Ortiz ran a fly by night operation, he'd be out of business in a matter of days. I never had any issues post surgery, but when I had a question, I always got a quick response from either Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez or Dr. So. My best advise would be for you to try contacting members here on the OCC forum and see what they have to say.

Morning,

I was banded in 8/10 and it was the best decision of my life. I was self pay and did extensive research to ensure I was making the right decision on where I went. I took a friend who had had Gastric ByPass here in Washington state. WITHOUT A DOUBT, this was the place to go. My traveling partner could not believe the superior treatment I was receiving versus what she received in the U.S. Her father, a man in his late 60's made the decision to go down and have the lap band in 8/12 and he also feels he could not of found a more professional, caring medical team. I have also gone back for some cosmetic procedures with Dr So and once again was treated with wonderfully. I cannot answer any questions about the sleeve but you do not need to worry about the team that will be working with you. I say with it feels you are part of the team not just the body they are working on.

Hope that helps some

My daughter and I went in June of 2011 and YES, he is the real deal. AND handsome to boot. EVERYONE there was professional, the place was clean and beautiful, I could NOT have been more impressed.

1. What was the pre-op surgery testing like? First, we went to talk to the nutritionist, to insure we were aware of what we were doing and what was expected for aftercare, then off to the nurse to have our blood drawn, then EKG, extensive history and pictures.

2. Did you feel the team had your best interest in mind? ABSOLUTELY, we actually went down for one surgery and ended up with a different one. Due to our both having issues with blood sugar, one high, one low, they felt that the plication was not our best choice so we were switched to the sleeve, a decision I am thrilled we made. When I went into surgery there was written above them on a white board type thing, ALL of my allergies (I have a LONG list), they care more about the patient than following the HIPPA that would not allow that to happen in our OR's in the states.

3. How was your follow up care? Especially recovery in a hotel? Excellent, we were treated great in the hospital and when I sprung a leak from my drain early Sunday morning (surgery was Friday), it took one phone call from me and drivers were arranged, the hospital was opened (there were no patients there past Sat that week), a doctor and assistant were standing there waiting for me as the driver pulled up. We went up the elevator, he took care of everything, made sure I had HIS direct cell phone on me and said call anytime.

4. Any issues with discomfort traveling home by plane? No not really, we were TIRED, but otherwise no issues at all, we checked our bags so we didn't have to worry about them for the ride home. IF you have a long ride home I would recommend bringing some protein powder that you can mix to drink on the ride home. Gatorade was helpful for us because for the ride the sugar gave us more energy. We mixed it half water and half gatorade and sipped it.

5. Did you ever have to call Dr. Ortiz needing post surgical support? I guess for infection or other? Yes, we did have to call him but it was for a pre-surgical issue, I called planning to leave a message but instead was handed off to one of the wonderful assistant surgeons there and he answered all my questions AND made sure I had his number if I didn't feel I got my answers or if I had another one come up. When you leave you are given instructions and numbers for follow up as needed.

Hope this helps, they are wonderful.

• Like 1

Ellemarie - tons of great information! Thank you for answering my questions! Glad to know that you and your daughter had such a great experience with Dr. Oritz, the sleeve and your travels. I can only hope that I will be as successful with my weight loss as you have been.

I have not had surgery yet but am going in December. My father-in-law is a cardiologist and when I told him about my surgery, he decided to check out Dr. Ortiz. He went and asked the bariatric surgeons associated with his medical group and hospital. ALL of them knew who Dr. Ortiz was and said they would have no problems going there. It was a great validation for me that I did make the right choice.

• Like 6

Hi Newbie,

I can attest to the fact that Dr. Ortiz and the OCC are the real deal. They are legitimate, professional, caring, concerned, and take NO chances with your health. Their facility is top notch and extremely clean and well ordered.

I had blood work, an iv for blood work and vitals taken.

Absolutely. They made sure that I was taken care of and comfortable and asked me repeatedly if I had any questions.

I was in pain from the gas and I could not believe that gas could be so painful, so I ended up calling the OCC 1 day after I was in the hotel room and let them know that I was in a lot of pain and concerned something was wrong, in response, they had me stay 2 extra says, and each of those 3 days they brought me in for x ray monitoring on the machine, the barium drink one so that they could be sure there was nothing wrong with my stomach, then they drew blood and did work ups, each three days. I felt embarrassed actually because after 2 days I was feeling the gas tension release through walking it off and felt better, but they had me stay that last day and did follow up exams, with Dr. So, each day telling me, we do not take chances and have your health in mind and want to make sure you are fine before we clear you to go home. I felt well taken care of, like my health truly mattered to them. Recovery in the hotel was ok. Bare in mind the horrendous gas experience I had (others have not had this issue), I had everything I needed and the OCC was a phone call away. The hotel was luxurious and comfortable, not that I paid much attention to it because I felt yuck from surgery.. lol

I had no problems. I just had my arms crossed over my stomach and in the plane hugged a pillow to me. It wasn't because I felt I needed to, it was more of a security practice, I just didn't want anyone near my stomach so I protected that area.

I have called anytime I have had a question. Mainly I call Dr. Miranda, but when I was filling out the post op questionnaire, one of my answers caused concern, and within 15 minutes of hitting send, my phone rang and Dr. So was asking me more detailed questions. As it uhm, turns out, I had misunderstood the question and there was no concern, but I was so very impressed with the rapid response to my mis-answered question.

• Like 1