Curious about the "drain" tube, info please?

Maybe I haven't searched in the right places but I've not hardly seen any posts about the drain tube that is inserted during the gastric sleeve. I've seen patients with drains from other types of surgery and when it's taken out it's a horrible experience of pain. Just wondering what the people here that has had the sleeve done experienced during that. PLEASE, tell it like it really was, not how you wanted it to be or not wanting to scare newbies off. I haven't scheduled surgery yet but need to have a band revision done and have been told instead of the plication they would recommend the gastric sleeve. Would love anyone's input!

From my experience, the few days after surgery when the drain was in, I didn't feel any pain, but there was discomfort, some pressure in that area of your stomach. When they took it out, there was a slight sting when she cut the stitch that held in the drain, but the removal was painless. I didn't even realize it was out. My surgery was last week, all my incisions are healing great, of coarse the drain incision is a little bigger than the rest and takes more time to close.

for me it was like ripping a band aid off. I didn't know what I was feeling was my drain. I was a little uncomfortable but I thought it was just from surgery and gas pains...etc all that went with surgery. They removed the drain on exhale you just take a few deep breaths in and out...while they remove it. I didn't feel a thing at all I asked so they showed it to me. (that is just me) And at that point in time the nurse knew I wasn't going to pass out but everything else I watched and was fine. For me it felt SOOOO GOOD once it came out. Sorta like after you remove the band aid feeling. They use a JP drain. You can google it if you would like to learn more about it. I wish I had a safety pin to help attach the drain bulb thing to my clothes. When I went it was cold so I just wore my sweatshirt and put it in my pocket. (everyone I was with laughed at me and then said they wish they thought of that)

• 3 weeks later...

for me it was like ripping a band aid off. I didn't know what I was feeling was my drain. I was a little uncomfortable but I thought it was just from surgery and gas pains...etc all that went with surgery. They removed the drain on exhale you just take a few deep breaths in and out...while they remove it. I didn't feel a thing at all I asked so they showed it to me. (that is just me) And at that point in time the nurse knew I wasn't going to pass out but everything else I watched and was fine. For me it felt SOOOO GOOD once it came out. Sorta like after you remove the band aid feeling. They use a JP drain. You can google it if you would like to learn more about it. I wish I had a safety pin to help attach the drain bulb thing to my clothes. When I went it was cold so I just wore my sweatshirt and put it in my pocket. (everyone I was with laughed at me and then said they wish they thought of that)

Hi am am new here and trying to decide between plication and vsg. I am have a question about the drian. How much longer did you need to stay in mexico in order for them to remove the drain ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi am am new here and trying to decide between plication and vsg. I am have a question about the drian. How much longer did you need to stay in mexico in order for them to remove the drain ?

I didn't have to stay longer I had surgery Monday morning and They remove the drain tube the morning you fly home for me that was Thursday.