Help.....having a hard time

ThisIsForMe

Hello.....

I have a few questions and concerns, if anyone can answer them or give me any suggestions or advise, would be great.

I am 19 days post off for the gastric sleeve. I've been having a hard time with getting any fluids down. I feel nausea and I am dehydrated. Last week I went to the hospital and they gave me 2 litres of IV Fluids as I was so dehydrated with Zofran which is an anti nausea med.

I'm now starting to take in pureed foods but nothing seems to agree with me. I'm feeling weak and tired and nausea all the time.

I've tried the following foods: soups (chicken broth, tomato, creamed soups). Yogurt (drinkable and now greek). Tomato juice is a good one but then I get heart burn, same with the tomato juice. Jello and puddings are ok but I'm sure that the milk is not agreeing with my stomach. I've tried all kinds of diluted juices, just can't get enough of it down. Popsicles have been ok but I can't live on them for the rest of my life.

I'm not able to take any of the protein shakes that I ordered from OCC, from Enpsira. They are just not good. I gag.

I'm really getting tired of not being able to eat or drink. Not sure what to do.

Since pre-op (5.5 weeks ago) I'm down 36 lbs. I'm happy with that, but I'm sure I've lost this muc because I'm not eating or drinking enough.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jo-Anne

• Like 1

OK I am going to stress Don't worry about food at this point get hydration down. Try different temperatures. For the first 8 months I loved hot/warm things. COULDN'T stand cold as soon as cold liquid touched my tummy it was like it was constricting. MY sister was opposite so try that first.

Also try to start out with thin liquids. Chicken broth, Veggie broth, vitamin water, G2, once you have that down thicker. Also watch the sip size. If you need to drink out of a tiny straw like a stir stick size.

I loved G2 and drank at least 2 20 oz bottles a day for the longest time. Also water.

Hope all this helps. I drank with a spoon for a while to start with until I got use to not gulping anymore. (I am over a year out and can gulp again when needed)

Not sure if this will help, and I hope that by now things are getting better. One of the things that took me some time to figure out was to not let my stomach be empty. I was getting confused with the sick stomach feeling and finally realized I was just incredibly hungry. When i finally figured that out I always was sipping or spooning stuff in . I also used baby spoons as to not over do it. You can also try soy, almond or coconut milks if dairy is an issue and at this point don't worry about calories. You need to get the protein in and some electrolytes and calories. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Like 1