Speaking for myself, I did a lot of research before deciding in this surgery. Comparing banding, plicaton, etc. The reason I am "outsourcing" is because of the cost. I also did a lot of research on the OCC, to make sure their claims were accurate. Now, I can't speak for anyone else, but I did not take this lightly nor did I rush into anything. I will agree that a psych consult would probably benefit most, but in doing research you also get an idea what the post-op phases entail. As for having a BMI of 31? I find your post about rather insulting. Many of us, me included, have BMIs in the 40s and higher. I don't feel it is your place to criticize us for choosing to have this, or any other weight loss surgery, done. When you have the health issues that come with being this overweight and have tried everything, then you will maybe understand.

• Like 2

I concur with Leelajo. This decision was not taken lightly and a lot of research went into it. I even went as far as finding people on Tripadvisor who listed they came to Mexico for surgery. Was able to connect with about 6 individuals who have been to the OCC. I pulled Dr. O's license, etc. So no, not a decision taken lightly, actually it is very scary to think I pay out the rear for health insurance in the US and I am not "fat" enough, REALLY? A BMI of 37.6 really pre-diabetic and still do not qualify. The quality of my life is suffering due to this weight. If you are thinking sure this is the easy way out. No, not it is not, I have done every diet you can think of and have probably paid for this surgery six times over; over the years of trying to get this weight off. So while I think for you you may have made the right decision for the rest of us who struggle and our BMI's are much higher this is the right decision for us. To each their own

Ok,, I'm going to reply to this topic.

For all of those whom seemed to be concerned about certain patients that have a low BMI and are thinking of having WLS,, please consider their reason or reasons they have not mentioned.

When a patient calls the OCC via the 866-376-7849 and talks to an OCC surgery coordinator, the process of evaluating a patient begins.

Dr. Ortiz reviews every patients reasons for having WLS,, he's the one that makes the final decision. Most important, he's is not going to preform a WLS procedure on someone that doesn't really need it. If the patient has a low BMI, they better present multiple medical reasons or have a family history.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no way I'm going into this lightly. Like the above posters said it is a lifestyle choice and will take alot of work and commitment. It is not "the easy way out." Having to "outsource" is our country's problem. My BMI is 37. I have prediabetis, back and leg pain, can't stay on a diet if I eat just one piece of "no no" food. This is going to help me. My health insurance wont help me. I'm just glad someone can even if it is in Mexico. I've looked at pics of OCC's hospital. It looks alot cleaner than some of the ones I've worked in as an RN.

• Like 1