Gastric Band....any fellow bandits out there?

I am having a gastric band fitted . I have only found a few blogs online and I am wondering if any mumsnetters have had it done / how you've done / how you found the pre-op/post-op diets etc. I am not scared of the procedure at all but I am scared of the post op liquid diet and subsequent life change!

• 1 month later...

I am 68, have a Midband. and was banded 6 years ago, just about the time I became really disabled and housebound. I have struggled to lose ever since, although trying my best with seated exercise to make up for not getting out. My problem is my band is ultra tight on a 2 ml fill and prevents me eating hardly any protein and veg. I am eating about 1000 calories a day and eat a lot of yogurts, shakes.

I'd say you need to see your doctor and get things checked out ASAP. The band can be a high maintenance tool and patients were having a lot of issues after 5 years. Because of this, the lap-band has went by the way-side. New surgery techniques have brought the VGS (Sleeve) to be the front runner for bariatric surgery. Now days patients that are having issues with the band have decided to go with the revision surgery to the sleeve. It may be your time to have that band removed and go with the VGS. 

4 minutes ago, Dolittle said:

I'd say you need to see your doctor and get things checked out ASAP. The band can be a high maintenance tool and patients were having a lot of issues after 5 years. Because of this, the lap-band has went by the way-side. New surgery techniques have brought the VGS (Sleeve) to be the front runner for bariatric surgery. Now days patients that are having issues with the band have decided to go with the revision surgery to the sleeve. It may be your time to have that band removed and go with the VGS. 

Thankyou for that.  I have been told they would not offer me anything else because this has been unsuccessful for the most part, and I cannot afford to go private.  I have made an appointment for the band to be checked and to talk to them.