Medical leave with international surgery

Hi all,

I'm considering sleeve surgery this summer.  Has anyone from the U.S. needed to have a medical leave approved through work while having a doctor/procedure outside of the U.S.?  I'm thinking three weeks off since I have to move and lift more than 50lbs on occasion.

If you have needed to apply for FMLA, were there any issues since the procedure was outside of the U.S.?

I had no issues with using FMLA at work. Signed the proper forms at work and it was approved. I don't remember if the employer can ask where your procedure will happen?  Your surgery coordinator at the OCC should be able answer that question. They deal with it everyday. 

Hi Newleaf, we don't generally give 3 weeks off after surgery since most can return to work about a week after surgery.  But if you have a job that requires lifting or strenuous activiies and your job can't be modified, then our doctors can evaluate for more time off.    We fill out FMLA paperwork all the time.  Once you've booked your surgery and paid your $500 deposit to hold your date, then you can send us your FMLA paperwork!  For more information email coordinators@obesitycontrolcenter.com