10 days post op and HUNGRY!!!

stockprincess

Hello all! I am confident that you all can help me because I have been so impressed with this forum so far! Today is day 10 for me and I am dying. Am I to remain on Protein shakes, yogurt and smooth soups until day 21 and then, poof, wah lah, solids? or did you start increasing soft foods until day 21. if i don't chew something soon, i am going to go crazy. also, my stomach rumbles so loud!!! any advice would be great?

Hello all! I am confident that you all can help me because I have been so impressed with this forum so far! Today is day 10 for me and I am dying. Am I to remain on Protein shakes, yogurt and smooth soups until day 21 and then, poof, wah lah, solids? or did you start increasing soft foods until day 21. if i don't chew something soon, i am going to go crazy. also, my stomach rumbles so loud!!! any advice would be great?

I think everyone's experience is different. Myself I was a quick healer. After about 10 days I went to soft, chewable foods and chewed them really well. As long as I chewed well, I didn't have any issues. At 2 weeks I was eatting "normal" food. But not everyone has the same experience and it isn't always recommended. My first real solid food was a baked potatoe and it went down okay, but if you chew really well it is not far from a mashed potatoe. But at least it was satisfying.

Hi Lisal....I live not far from you by Everett :-h

As far as "smooth" foods go, this is what I've found that has been a big help. I go to Emerald City Smoothies in WA. Granted, this is a place in my neck of the woods, but what it is is a vitamin store (mostly for the healthiest of body builders, jocks, etc :-) and they make smoothies.

While I can't afford a protein powder for $50 bucks, I can afford a protein shake for $4.62. One of the drinks I get is loaded with protein. I'd have to eat a half of ham to get that much protein! Smoothies at a vitamin store, in my education"ing" are much better for you than like Jamba Juice. Not to pick on them, but they have loads of sugar and calories in their drinks. At my shop, they even have the Carbs/fat/protein listed right on the order board. My favorite, the sugar free banana lean out has 400 calories, 4 grams of fat and 50grams of protein. Shazam!

The vitamin/nutrition stores are a great source of info for vitamins too. I bought liquid vitamins there after my surgery. They looked like puree spinach and tasted like fruit. Mmmmmm. And if you tell these folks your issues (like hairloss, constipation, trouble sleeping, etc.) they hopefully have tons of knowledge.

Don't get me wrong. Supplements and health food store drinks are more expensive. But I get my $5 drink there, learn about vitamins and usually purchase locally somewhere else if it costs less. I feel healthier than ever.

Now if I could just find the miracle weight loss pill!

Hahahahaha :D

~M

Hello Stockprincess,

I had your exact question and called LoriBecky on it. It is POOF, I couldnt believe it either. The last week of the 21 days I became irritated about everything and the last 3 days were hell. :angry: (I'm usually a pretty happy person) sorry to be the barer of bad news, thats just what it was like for me. HANG IN THERE, its not long for the results you will get later. Teri ><'

I know its hard guys... but it really does work that way. After 3 weeks it is safe for you to start eating again .... every so slowly and chew chew chew! Eat your protein first. Don't get worried if by week 5 after surgery you feel like you can eat like you did before surgery. It means you are healing - that's a good thing. Time to schedule that fill for right at 6 weeks after surgery!

Let's get the chatroom thing going (see my post under chatroom) and we can have some conversation, support each other and figure things out (just no bashing of the patient care coordinator :lol: )

Tell you what... I'll open the room tomorrow morning - around 11:00 my time (Pacific time) and if anyone can come we'll get moving. My name on AOL is L8tyinRed so if you get an aol name... just email me and i'll link ya :)

OK, so my doctor here in the states must have forgotten to put a band in me????? LOL...I am j/k, but, why would there be such difference in how they do the diet? He has us eating full liquids day two. And solids two weeks out. I have been eating this whole weekend..and I dont have to chew, chew, chew...I just eat like before. I do notice that I cant burp like before, so, I know something is different. I have my first fill the second week of Feb. So, please, I am wondering if maybe, all this post op stuff is to get us to eat a certain way, and not really for any other reason. I know it doesnt take 6 weeks to heal from surgery. HELP..I dont want to do it wrong, and my doc has been doing this for over 4 yrs now. Thanks geri

• 1 year later...

I am day 10 also and am so hungry!!!! I've never felt this tired and weak. I'm so sick of slim fast, yogurt, and soup. I've lost 17 lbs and it's nice, but I'm really hungry!

Hi Bethb, you connected into a really old post.

You are only 10 days post op and on the 21 day post op diet, eat as much soup, liquid yogurt, fudgecicles, etc...as you feel you need to stay satsified. Do not count calories during this time, you are till healing and unlike the previous post indicated, do not go on soft or mushy foods, liquids only.

Cream of Cheddar/Potato soups are really feeling, try them..and good luck!

• 6 months later...
OK, so my doctor here in the states must have forgotten to put a band in me????? LOL...I am j/k, but, why would there be such difference in how they do the diet? He has us eating full liquids day two. And solids two weeks out. I have been eating this whole weekend..and I dont have to chew, chew, chew...I just eat like before. I do notice that I cant burp like before, so, I know something is different. I have my first fill the second week of Feb. So, please, I am wondering if maybe, all this post op stuff is to get us to eat a certain way, and not really for any other reason. I know it doesnt take 6 weeks to heal from surgery. HELP..I dont want to do it wrong, and my doc has been doing this for over 4 yrs now. Thanks geri

Geri, what have you been able to find out and how have you been doing?? Your story sounds just like mine!! I was relieved to read your insight because I feel the same way. I'm only 7 days post op but I feel that the full liquids/mushies that i've tried (not too many) went down easy and like before surgery. Let me know how its going!

Bianca

• 2 weeks later...

I'm awaiting my surgery date. My brother had his surgery yestreday. Can you tell me if it's normal to have should pain and a just a wierd feeling in the chest? H

I am 10 days POST & I'm Beginning to BUG! I am HUNGRY!

I want a slice of Pizza so bad, I think I'd sell me soul! I'd even sell it for a bit right now! I knew the first week & a half I could do it and have lost 13 pounds, But I'm hungry NOW

I am 10 days POST & I'm Beginning to BUG! I am HUNGRY!

I want a slice of Pizza so bad, I think I'd sell me soul! I'd even sell it for a bit right now! I knew the first week & a half I could do it and have lost 13 pounds, But I'm hungry NOW

Hi Sweetie! OK, what I hadn't done, and wished I did at the time, was to purchase UNflavored protein powder (which I now have) from GNC store. Boy, WHAT a difference it has made for me. I don't have headaches or feel weak or whatever. You can add this to your broth, soups, cocoa, coffee, tea, whatever. I had surgery in Oct 08, and when I need the extra proteins, I put in in my meatloaf, soups, chilis, and stews. There is no taste. It's awesome AND it helps with the hunger pangs!

Don't forget to continue taking either the Metamucil capsules or the chewable Fiber Choice, at 10am and 3pm, every day. This is what I had done and I didn't have a problem other than to remind myself to take them consistently, 2 times a day, every day until I can control it.

Hope this helps you...Jazzy!!

I know secon opinions can help a person feel confident with what the DR says.

I know my doc said 14 days liquid and go from there.

Really the point is CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW. Maybe I too am a fast healer but After a week I started having dinner with the family I am sure to CHEW " " " ". And I have been loosing weight. 8lbs first week, and I am in the middle of my second week and have lost 4 lbs when I took a sneek peak.

SOme people are very restricted on what they can eat. and every persons experience if different.

My biggest change is the portion size. For dinner last night we had hambergers and mac and cheese. I cut one in half to share it with my 17 mo old and each of us ate 1/4 of the burger and I ate about 4 table spoons of mac & cheese. ( he out ate mom with the MAC) LOL I love it! I can eat what I want as long as I chew """"", and I am totally satisfied at 1/4 of a burger and some mac!

After years of guilt and denial of foods I FINALLY can eat WITH the family! And I am still ooosing weight.

My husband and kids are very thankful mom isnt "FIXING" everything to "Make it HEALTHY". It was to the point where I would ask my husband what her wanted for dinner and he said "Something NORMAL" LOL :)

I still strive to have a healthy happy lifestyle for me and my family and now I can do that without ALIENATING them!

I have found I am hungery again after about 2 hours so I will be getting a fill on june 8th with the hopes that will give me a 4 hour belly.

I am rejoyced to finally not be a slave to hunger! Constantly battling its desires!

In a word, RELIEF! My family said so too! LOL :)

ps- I too had that shoulder pain but at about the 1 week mark the pains are gone.