A Little Worried re: Fill

Hi all,

I had my second fill today and am at a total of 2.3 ccs (smaller band). The entire day I was ok, very slight restriction with water, I just could not chug it. When I got home I had watered down potato soup all blended and was fine. About 20 min ago I woke up and took a swig of water- not a huge drink but not a sip either. Now for the past 20 min I have felt moderate pain as if I ate a big piece of food and it hurts! Not sure what to think. Has anyone experienced this and will the band loosen up a bit?? I was only at 1.5 ccs before and really felt no restriction except with bread. I am very worried because on Tues I am going on vacation to North Carolina and feeling a bit panicked that I am overfilled. I need to be able to drink!!! Any thoughts, ideas, etc.....?????

Thanks

Karen

Hi all,

I had my second fill today and am at a total of 2.3 ccs (smaller band). The entire day I was ok, very slight restriction with water, I just could not chug it. When I got home I had watered down potato soup all blended and was fine. About 20 min ago I woke up and took a swig of water- not a huge drink but not a sip either. Now for the past 20 min I have felt moderate pain as if I ate a big piece of food and it hurts! Not sure what to think. Has anyone experienced this and will the band loosen up a bit?? I was only at 1.5 ccs before and really felt no restriction except with bread. I am very worried because on Tues I am going on vacation to North Carolina and feeling a bit panicked that I am overfilled. I need to be able to drink!!! Any thoughts, ideas, etc.....?????

Thanks

Karen

Hi Karen,

I am going through what you are. You do need to be able to drink. I have a very hard time in the morning and early afternoon, then it seems to lossen enough to take very tiny sips, and able to eat very tiny bites and very slow. You may be to tight, that is a scary feeling. There is no way I can chug anything anymore. Can only take very tiny sips and then wait till it goes completely down. If you continue to pb, you may irritate the stoma, creating an even tighter experience. Take everything slow, and if you need to, get some drained. You dont want to ruin your vacation worrying and not be able to drink. Have fun though.

TEri

Hi Teri-

I was actually down there getting my first fill when you guys did. I haven't made any attempts to try to lose til now. I made so many excuses!! Hopefully with this second fill it'll work- which it seems like it will. This morning I only had some hot chocolate and drank it like over an hour and I feel ok. Before after my first fill I couldn't really eat in the morning and over the day it eased up- so now I am guessing it'll be like that but much tighter. I think last night I took a much bigger drink than I thought and after I drank a sip of hot water and it was ok. Have to stop leaving glasses of water by the bedside!!

Anyway, thanks for the post. Hope you guys are doing well,

Karen

Hi Teri-

I was actually down there getting my first fill when you guys did. I haven't made any attempts to try to lose til now. I made so many excuses!! Hopefully with this second fill it'll work- which it seems like it will. This morning I only had some hot chocolate and drank it like over an hour and I feel ok. Before after my first fill I couldn't really eat in the morning and over the day it eased up- so now I am guessing it'll be like that but much tighter. I think last night I took a much bigger drink than I thought and after I drank a sip of hot water and it was ok. Have to stop leaving glasses of water by the bedside!!

Anyway, thanks for the post. Hope you guys are doing well,

Karen

Karen, are you talking about Ortiz or Wendys? Gosh, I am still so so tight. Just to be able to keep down sucking on a piece of crushed ice is a chore. I really need to get an unfill, my band wants to always tighten on me after weeks of getting a fill. It's so hard to determine at the time if the amount is correct because of not feeling restricted until weeks later. I lost another pound, but dont want to lose this way.

Teri

Hi Teri,

I am sorry you are having such a tough unpredictable time. That must be really frustrating. I think I read you have a local fill Dr.? What does OCC say now about your fills? I feel so tight with 2.3 I can't even imagine how you feel! I did PB yesterday after only a few bites of this thick pasta stuff- which I guess was way too thick. I am pretty much sticking to soups and Slim Fasts and some cererals like Chex that kind of disolve in the mouth. Anyway, I hope you start to have some relief soon.

Karen

Hi Teri,

I am sorry you are having such a tough unpredictable time. That must be really frustrating. I think I read you have a local fill Dr.? What does OCC say now about your fills? I feel so tight with 2.3 I can't even imagine how you feel! I did PB yesterday after only a few bites of this thick pasta stuff- which I guess was way too thick. I am pretty much sticking to soups and Slim Fasts and some cererals like Chex that kind of disolve in the mouth. Anyway, I hope you start to have some relief soon.

Karen

Hi Karen,

I actually dragged my dear hubby up to Showlow with me to get an unfill that happened to be .4cc. It may have been to much but the fill Dr. will be down here next Monday, so I want to be able to gauge things between now and then and then adjust the level. I feel so much better. I can breathe!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably pb'd 100 times in the last week, so that is not good. I knew I had to get relief. I couldnt even keep down a sllim fast it was hit or miss. How much have you lost, and when was your surgery.? Forgive me if you posted that.

Teri

I hope you don't mind an unsolicited opinion but if you really have pb'd over 100 times (is that right???) in a week I would NOT being getting another fill so quickly regardless if you can eat now you are probably swollen beyond belief- please talk to your surgeon for advice as it is cause for concern. You could have a slight slip and a fill will only make it worse. Please be careful. good luck

I hope you don't mind an unsolicited opinion but if you really have pb'd over 100 times (is that right???) in a week I would NOT being getting another fill so quickly regardless if you can eat now you are probably swollen beyond belief- please talk to your surgeon for advice as it is cause for concern. You could have a slight slip and a fill will only make it worse. Please be careful. good luck

I absolutley did! I have no way of knowing how the band will react to a fill. For me, it is one extreme to another. When you can eat anything, and I mean anything, to not being able to drink water, for me, I would like to be inbetween. And I believe that is how the band is intended to work. But, it is trying to get there!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for your wishes, I should have driven the distance sooner. It's been almost 5 months, and finding that sweet spot is a huge goal of mine. :lol:

Teri

Hi Karen,

I actually dragged my dear hubby up to Showlow with me to get an unfill that happened to be .4cc. It may have been to much but the fill Dr. will be down here next Monday, so I want to be able to gauge things between now and then and then adjust the level. I feel so much better. I can breathe!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably pb'd 100 times in the last week, so that is not good. I knew I had to get relief. I couldnt even keep down a sllim fast it was hit or miss. How much have you lost, and when was your surgery.? Forgive me if you posted that.

Teri

Hi Teri,

I am glad you got some relief! How are things now? I am still having mucho trouble with solid food and have PB'd every day since my fill even though I am taking tiny bites and chewing like 30 times. Last night was a little better but I can't eat food until like 7p.m. Not sure what to do! I am allergic to alot of stuff and a lot of stuff that is in protein shakes. I can have SF but there isn't enough protein for the whole day in 1. What are you doing for protein? I haven't lost any weight but to everyone reading this, I also did not try at all before now (surgery was in Sept). Even after my first fill I could eat whatever just slower. Now it's really helping I have lost 4 lbs this week. But no energy!! I am going to have to experiment with different foods I guess and find some protein powder I can use.

Thanks and good luck Teri!

Karen

Hi Teri,

I am glad you got some relief! How are things now? I am still having mucho trouble with solid food and have PB'd every day since my fill even though I am taking tiny bites and chewing like 30 times. Last night was a little better but I can't eat food until like 7p.m. Not sure what to do! I am allergic to alot of stuff and a lot of stuff that is in protein shakes. I can have SF but there isn't enough protein for the whole day in 1. What are you doing for protein? I haven't lost any weight but to everyone reading this, I also did not try at all before now (surgery was in Sept). Even after my first fill I could eat whatever just slower. Now it's really helping I have lost 4 lbs this week. But no energy!! I am going to have to experiment with different foods I guess and find some protein powder I can use.

Thanks and good luck Teri!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Did you say you could get down protien shakes. That is great, as I could not. Have you tried the whey protien powder? Well, I know with a fill, I should be between 2.6 and 3.0, SOMEWHERE! I can eat anything again. Yesterday, I ate 3 slices of pizza. Boo hoo. I think I will try for .2cc and see how that goes. I just hope the band doesnt tighten up again. As far as protien, that was a problem, since I coulnt keep water down. A happy medium would be nice. How much have you lost since Sept.? Weight? And how much can you eat when you can?

Teri

Hi Teri,

I've only lost like 15 lbs since Sept but I really only started trying like 2 weeks ago. Before my second fill I could eat whatever in any quantity (and did).

Right now I can eat a regular sized dinner (like 3/4 of a WW meal) and basically liquid stuff for breakfast and lunch. I am really only getting like 5 or 600 calories a day which is way too low!! I am trying to eat more but it is hard. I just ordered some flavorless protein to start adding too.

So you're going in for another fill- wow you must be frustrated! You'll find that sweet spot! Good luck!

Karen

Hi Teri,

I've only lost like 15 lbs since Sept but I really only started trying like 2 weeks ago. Before my second fill I could eat whatever in any quantity (and did).

Right now I can eat a regular sized dinner (like 3/4 of a WW meal) and basically liquid stuff for breakfast and lunch. I am really only getting like 5 or 600 calories a day which is way too low!! I am trying to eat more but it is hard. I just ordered some flavorless protein to start adding too.

So you're going in for another fill- wow you must be frustrated! You'll find that sweet spot! Good luck!

Karen

"Listening" to you guys is really scary. My surgery is scheduled for April 18th and I am praying that I do not have the same complications with the fills as you guys are. When you started eating regular food did you try with small amounts, eating each one separtely to see how the food would go down? Are you trying to eat heathier or just regular food? Forgive me if I am being to curious.

GiBaby71

"Listening" to you guys is really scary. My surgery is scheduled for April 18th and I am praying that I do not have the same complications with the fills as you guys are. When you started eating regular food did you try with small amounts, eating each one separtely to see how the food would go down? Are you trying to eat heathier or just regular food? Forgive me if I am being to curious.

GiBaby71

Hi GiBaby,

Personally I don't think I am having complications, just a good fill with restriction. You have to realize that you literally have to eat completely differently than you used to and it's hard to adjust! I am eating healthy and normal food. I can only eat a little bit though and very slowly- so even if I ate "bad" food it's still a small fraction of the calories than I used to be able to eat.

Hope that helps!

Karen

Hi GiBaby,

Personally I don't think I am having complications, just a good fill with restriction. You have to realize that you literally have to eat completely differently than you used to and it's hard to adjust! I am eating healthy and normal food. I can only eat a little bit though and very slowly- so even if I ate "bad" food it's still a small fraction of the calories than I used to be able to eat.

Hope that helps!

Karen

Have been out of town, my daughter and I went shopping in Las Vegas! So much fun, we hit all the premium outlets, especially liked the coach store! Any way, dont be scared. Some people dont have a problem with fills at all. When your still at surgery weight like i was for about 3 or 4 months, yes, you do tend to want to start the process that you paid money for. So, to do that, you aggressively want to find restriction, and when you do, like I did, it was to much. So, you adjust. Then, when you can eat the same as prior to surgery, you go in for a fill. I found out, it doesnt take a lot of saline to make a HUGE difference. The problem is, you dont know until you start eating, which is 24 hours later, usually. When you find out you cannot eat, or keep water down, (even when you could when you left the office) then, you go for another unfill. This is where the frustration of fills/unfills come in. It's not a big deal if you can get back quickly if need be. From experience, it is best to creep up on the fills. I have been going nuts with finding the right amounts. But, it takes time, because often, the band gets tighter as well, which is something the band just does. There is a happy medium, I think, with feeling tighter at certain times, regarless, just because it's how the band is. Any way, nothing to be scared of.

Teri

Hi GiBaby,

Hope that helps!

Karen

That helped some, I guess I just won't know until I experience it. Thank you

Have been out of town, my daughter and I went shopping in Las Vegas! So much fun, we hit all the premium outlets, especially liked the coach store! Any way, dont be scared. Some people dont have a problem with fills at all. When your still at surgery weight like i was for about 3 or 4 months, yes, you do tend to want to start the process that you paid money for. So, to do that, you aggressively want to find restriction, and when you do, like I did, it was to much. So, you adjust. Then, when you can eat the same as prior to surgery, you go in for a fill. I found out, it doesnt take a lot of saline to make a HUGE difference. The problem is, you dont know until you start eating, which is 24 hours later, usually. When you find out you cannot eat, or keep water down, (even when you could when you left the office) then, you go for another unfill. This is where the frustration of fills/unfills come in. It's not a big deal if you can get back quickly if need be. From experience, it is best to creep up on the fills. I have been going nuts with finding the right amounts. But, it takes time, because often, the band gets tighter as well, which is something the band just does. There is a happy medium, I think, with feeling tighter at certain times, regarless, just because it's how the band is. Any way, nothing to be scared of.

Teri

Thanks Teri,

It seems you are well versed on the fill subject. How is your son doing with his fills?

Thanks Teri,

It seems you are well versed on the fill subject. How is your son doing with his fills?

Good Question. He is doing great. He's down 34 pounds as of today!! No problems with him and fills, because his fills were less agrresive then mine, which is the way to go. Saves on the troubles. We just had them add little by little for him because he had already felt some resctrition when getting filled.

Teri

Thanks Teri,

Good Question. He is doing great. He's down 34 pounds as of today!! No problems with him and fills, because his fills were less agrresive then mine, which is the way to go. Saves on the troubles. We just had them add little by little for him because he had already felt some resctrition when getting filled.

Teri

Teri

Thank you and congrats to you both.

Hi Karen,

I am going through what you are. You do need to be able to drink. I have a very hard time in the morning and early afternoon, then it seems to lossen enough to take very tiny sips, and able to eat very tiny bites and very slow. You may be to tight, that is a scary feeling. There is no way I can chug anything anymore. Can only take very tiny sips and then wait till it goes completely down. If you continue to pb, you may irritate the stoma, creating an even tighter experience. Take everything slow, and if you need to, get some drained. You dont want to ruin your vacation worrying and not be able to drink. Have fun though.

TEri

Teri, with all the problems you guys have had with the band, are you sorry you got it?

Teri, with all the problems you guys have had with the band, are you sorry you got it?

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The band works great if your filled properly. I would not trade this for ANTHING!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT, especially the losing part! It's not even close to the struggle I have had keeping weight off. PS. Kyle hasn't had any problems with the band, just me. :rolleyes:

Teri