DONT DO IT

Guest trt

I have a friend who got a band approximately 4-5 years ago. She was complaining that it didn't work, she hadn't gotten a fill in years, blah, blah, blah.

Well, she was a size 28 and now she "fluctuates" between a 10 and 18! And that's bad??

Different things work differently for every one. If 1 out 50 have a problem, I'm willing to take that risk to become healthier and I'm sorry it didn't work for you. :(

i have to say i agree im willing to take that chance just to see if it does work for me. im sorry it did not work for you but you are just a statistic thats what we all are going in and having this surgery done some it will work others it will not work. we dont know until we do it whether it will work or not and if it doesnt work its reversable. maybe you just needed to slow down and chew your food better or you were restricted too much and thats why you couldnt keep anything down...

so good luck to all you whove been banded i wish you all the best of luck and hopes that it works for you....im still takin my chances and having it done :D

I absolutely CANNOT believe anyone would come on here and make this statement! Dr. Ortiz will tell you himself, this is a TOOL to "help" you lose weight, but you MUST be willing to do your part! That means chewing your food 20-30 times, eating slowly, and following your Dr.s orders. If you are not WILLING to do this, it will NOT work.

If you were throwing up (PB'ing) everytime you went to a restaurant, then you obviously were NOT chewing enough. AND, I have never heard of ANYONE not being able to eat healthy foods. That is just an excuse. ANYTHING will go down if it is chewed enough. Yes, it IS easier to eat mac and cheese, ice cream, and all the other bad stuff. THAT is WHY Dr. Ortiz says to avoid them. THey go down fast, and do not stay in the pouch long enough to give you a "full" feeling. I'm THRILLED that I got banded, and I KNOW it works. Dr. Ortiz wouldn't have over 4500 HAPPY patients if it didn't work.

Oh and another thing...You always hear MORE BAD news than GOOD news, so if it were happening, I\'m SURE we would hear it, from MANY other disgruntled bandsters. The only one I've seen is you.

By the way, DID Dr. Ortiz even do your surgery?

Donna

I'm new to this and I haven't received the procedure. I am nerveous about doing it in Mexico. Can anyone tell me if it's safe and they don't have more complications than having it done here in the US? Is the hopital clean and reliable? Does the staff speak english? And last I know I cant have my first fill until a few weeks after the surgery. Can I have it done in the state? It's pretty far and expensive to go all the way to Mexico just for a fill.

Vergie, I think if you read more of the posts on this site, you will hear that most of us (if not ALL) had a wonderful experience with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. He is one of the most experienced surgeons with this proceedure, his staff speaks English and are all amazingly kind and helpful, the clinic is extremely clean and comfortable. They are very aware of people's concerns with going to TJ for surgery and will do whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable with your decision. I can honestly say that I have never had such care at a facility here in the states. I live close enough, that I am able to go back down there for my fills, but I have read here that many people in other states have found place near where they live to get their fills. Do some research and I'm sure you could find a place close to you for them also. You might even post that question here on this site and see if someone else lives near you that knows of a doctor that would help. Good Luck with your decision, just know that if you do choose Dr. Ortiz, you truly don't have to worry about what kind of care you will receive, it's excellent!

Kim

Usually people with complications are the first to speak up. Obviously there are not too many people with these kinds of complications. Not everyone throws up. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Did you go to Dr. Ortiz?

Cheers to the people who this has worked for but I fear there are far more that it has not worked for. They simply dont speak up.

Did you get banded by Dr. Ortiz. He's great. My sister was banded by Dr. Ortiz and she's lost 75 lbs in a year. Maybe you need a fill. I was banded this month and I've already lost 12 lbs. Well good luck.

Usually people with complications are the first to speak up. Obviously there are not too many people with these kinds of complications. Not everyone throws up. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Did you go to Dr. Ortiz?

i agree completely! i would do it again, and i would recommend this to anyone, and if they are using Dr. Ortiz i would do it with complete confidence. and yes, people that are not happy with a product, a service, and in this case--a bariatric procedure...are usually the very first to speak up! i know personally four others with the lapband who have been successful, and love this positive life-changing blessing just as much as i do. Recommending "DON'T DO IT" is pitiful. blah!

The key phrase was his "quality of life" sucked. He related his quality of life to being able to eat unregulated quanities of food, wich in the past I was guilty of, to having a poor quality of life....He never changed his mindset... I, too, every once in a while scream "I just want a double bacon cheeseburge, fries, onion rings now!" But that passes, when I go look in the mirror or while I am shopping at "regular stores" and hey actually have my size with selection.

So pick your quality of life.. I pick THE BAND

I'm new to this and I haven't received the procedure. I am nerveous about doing it in Mexico. Can anyone tell me if it's safe and they don't have more complications than having it done here in the US? Is the hopital clean and reliable? Does the staff speak english? And last I know I cant have my first fill until a few weeks after the surgery. Can I have it done in the state? It's pretty far and expensive to go all the way to Mexico just for a fill.

Hi, Vergie !

I was banded April 9th by Dr. Ortiz (you can read my post under the newbie section). I flew across the country to have this and I felt safe and cared for the entire time. The reason most of us START to choose Dr. O is the cost - $8500 vs 13k+. Then we learn thru research that he "proctored", or taught, a LOT of the US doctors how to do this surgery. the surgery itself is easier than dental work. I could have gone back to work after 3 days, but since I'd taken the whole week off, I was lazy. I will be going back for a fill with them because I could drive 4 hours to a USAFill center, but their initial set up fee is the same as a flight to San Diego. Its going to cost me about $100 more. I want the people who installed my device to service it. This is a weird thread, as the started obviously isnt a happy bandster - but I am SO relieved that I finally have the right tools to cure my

obesity. I've been heavy all my life (I'm a 47 yof). I've lost and gained the same 80-100 pounds FIVE times in the last 25 years. I'm now on my LAST 90 pound weight loss. The yo-yo is dead.

I will be healthy for the rest of my life. The band is going to help me do that. best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Lisa

• 4 months later...

I had my surgery on july 10th of this year. I was very nervous. My sister and her friend had the surgery done 2 years ago and just raved about the quality of work and costumer service. When I went down to San Diego the driver was waiting for me in the baggage claim. He spoke very good english. We drove down to TJ. I have never been down thier and it was a real shock very different from the USA. We got to the hotel and it was beautiful the staff all are very helpful and answered any questions. They gave us tips on how to stay safe. The next day Mrs. Ortiz picked us up at the hotel and took us to the clinic. We walked in and I was amazed. the clinic was gorgous. Everyone was very nice. I met all the Doctors and staff. When was the last time your Dr. just came in and sat down with you to talk and put you at ease. The facility was very clean. I believe that it put any American hospital that I have been in to shame.

For the fills you can look on Fill Center USA and see if anyone is close to you. I live in Spokane, Wa. the closest place I could afford was in Alington, Wa. It is called Fill Management Northwest. They only charge $150 for your first fill and $125 after that. They are very good at what they do. Good luck!!! I hope this helps you out. Believe me when I say this is the best thing I have ever done. I am down 36lbs. and feeling great.

Vergie,

I went with my daughter to Dr. Ortiz's clinic last year when she got her band. In October my husband and I are scheduled to be banded. Our insurance will pay for it. We are still going to Dr Ortiz; I wouldn't have anyone else do it! There was a nurse who was banded the same day as my daughter, and he had a nurse friend with him. Dr. Ortiz allowed his nurse friend to observe his surgery, and she was very favorably impressed with the clinic. It is clean, the doctors and nurses are great, and they give you personalized attention I have never experienced in a hospital here in the States. Don't let the idea of "Mexican surgery" put you off; these people are great.

I absolutely CANNOT believe anyone would come on here and make this statement! Dr. Ortiz will tell you himself, this is a TOOL to "help" you lose weight, but you MUST be willing to do your part! That means chewing your food 20-30 times, eating slowly, and following your Dr.s orders. If you are not WILLING to do this, it will NOT work.

If you were throwing up (PB'ing) everytime you went to a restaurant, then you obviously were NOT chewing enough. AND, I have never heard of ANYONE not being able to eat healthy foods. That is just an excuse. ANYTHING will go down if it is chewed enough. Yes, it IS easier to eat mac and cheese, ice cream, and all the other bad stuff. THAT is WHY Dr. Ortiz says to avoid them. THey go down fast, and do not stay in the pouch long enough to give you a "full" feeling. I'm THRILLED that I got banded, and I KNOW it works. Dr. Ortiz wouldn't have over 4500 HAPPY patients if it didn't work.

Oh and another thing...You always hear MORE BAD news than GOOD news, so if it were happening, I\'m SURE we would hear it, from MANY other disgruntled bandsters. The only one I've seen is you.

By the way, DID Dr. Ortiz even do your surgery?

Donna

You know, even though TRT's blanket statement "Don't Do It!", is silly in light of so many success stories, she or he does make a point.

Anyone considering this surgery should investigate the procedure and read as much pro and con as possible before deciding. There are reasons that the surgery is more successful for some people than others. It sounds like TRT has an adequate restriction level, and if anything is overfilled. I don't think there is any reason to think that the surgery was done improperly.

I have read, and I think this is an example of it, that the lapband is least effective for people who tend to graze rather than gorge - which a properly adjusted band prevents you from doing with most foods. The greatest enemy of the band is a sweet tooth, and I think TRT is telling us he/she is eating around the band because he/she finds it too unpleasant to do otherwise.

We have all read over and over that the band is only a tool, but what does that tell us? Is it a sledge hammer or one of those little screwdrivers you use to fix your glasses. Therein lies the rub. For some people it's one and for others it's the other. The band is not for everyone. I think there are probably lots of lapband failures out there who are too ashamed to admit it. They feel it's all their fault. I don't think this is all together true.

Myself? Even though I did a lot of research, I discounted some of it and focused on how great it is for some people. I did think the band would do more of the work, and I do think it does for some people. If portion control is a person's primary cause of weight gain, the properly adjusted band will help immensely. I was certainly guilty of "pigging out" sometimes. Since I finally got the right level of restriction with my last fill a month ago, I don't do that. Unfortunately I gained a lot of my weight by nibbling from dinner time to bedtime, and by eating the wrong things- many of which ironically pass the band more easily... gummie candy, ice cream.

Since I have finally realized the limits of what the band can do for me, I've had to adjust my thinking. I have lost almost 25 pounds since I started on this venture but it's been very slow and has taken a good deal of effort. I have just started back on Weight Watchers and am finding it easier because portion control is so much easier. I'm hoping that if I can get down to an acceptible weight the band will help me keep the weight off. That would be great, that's always been the hardest part anyway.

I remember reading a post on this forum where one bandster was reassuring another that once she got the right fill, the weight would melt away like chocolate in the sun. I still thrill thinking of it, but it just doesn't work quite that way for all of us. Some of us are melting the chocolate in our mouths before it gets a chance to melt in the sun. After making the investment, I am determined to do all possible to get make this work, and it is definately a help. For me it seems to be just a regular hammer, not the sledgehammer I wish it was, but thank God, not that little tiny screwdriver.

So far as having the surgery in Mexico, I don't think you can beat the level of professionalism or concern that you find at OCC.

In conclusion, my heart goes out to someone who gets their hopes up thinking that lapband surgery will effortlessly change their life. There is effort involved ... not too much for some lucky people but apparently way too much for others, and people thinking about the surgery should consider this.