Totally gross but...

twistienicholl

I was just banded 9/14... I have been sticking to the post op instructions completely but I was dying for something that had some substance... mental hunger... I just wanted crunchy or thick or something...

sooooo....

I took out 5 Tostitos Tortilla chips... and chewed them up one at a time and spit them out... it worked for the mental thing.... gross I know... but... It worked...

as an aside... does anyone know if after the 6 weeks of mushies we can eat tortilla chips??? or are they like bread and get clogged and turn into a big ball of dough in our stomachs?

Tortilla chips go down easy Way to easy:)

..and as for bread, you will most likely still be able to eat bread until you are at a good fill level, I eat bread but just limited ammounts, toast is easier then bread.The tighter I get the harder it is for bread.

I was laughing when I read your post, because I thought I was the only one who did that. Sometimes it work and others well lets just say it was gone. Yet for the most part it did work. I would drink so much water that kept me from wanting anything else. Good luck and stay strong.

Eddra

I am doing okay with the mental hunger... my problem has always been huge portions at meals rather than eating junk food and stuff... not that I didn't do it... but I always ate like a 24 oz porterhouse and a baked potato and the salad and the soup and the bread... all at one sitting... I think the band will be great for me in that I won't eat that much at any one time... and since I was never a snacker I should be back at the fridge staring...

more than anything is that my mouth hurts... my tongue has bumps from all the damn sugar in the juices and my teeth hurt cuz I am clenching them.... crunching and chewing would relieve the tension in my jaw...

Why didn't I think of spitting out the food a long time ago? I just want the taste not the calories... maybe I could give up eating completely if I just taste and toss... that must be how bulemia starts... don't want that..

Yup, that not chewing is a...I totally feel your pain. I actually chewed on some cheese from some pizza and spat it back out. Once you get outta the liquid stage you appreciate food so much more - the taste, feel and texture, and amazingly a lot less of it! I actually want to eat healthy food instead of junk (except for the occasional cravings of a little sugar or salt)

BTW- try and drink SF juices, or SF lemonade, tea, crystal light, etc. You don't need added liquid calories, they keep you craving more sugar and they kill weight loss. Once you get out of week 1 (which it looks like today is 7 days out for you) you can eat SF pudding, and other mushies which help with the need to chew. At between week 2-3 I was eating plain cream of wheat with some SF maple syrup and it really filled me up and satisfied my need to chew (I didn't have to chew my food, but it somehow satisfied me)

Some have tried gum too, but that tends to add more unnecessary air in your tummy which has enough already...but for some it works ok.

Yep, I am guilty too. I have chewed and spit for the taste and mental hunger. I did it with a cheesecake, even grosser!

But did I read your post right of "after 6 weeks of mushies"???? There are NO mushy stages in Dr. Miranda's diet plan. She absolutely forbids them actually. So what are you talking about here?

I eat Tortillas all the time post band. Yummyyyyyyyy!

I am on my two week pre-op diet, second day. I am suppose to have 2 protein drinks of some type and a 10gm or less dinner at night. I bought the slimfast optima to get the extra protein. It is terrible. I do not like protein drinks really at all. Does anyone have a better suggestion for the protein without having to taste it???? Help, please. Surgery is Oct. 12th Thanks

I HATED the slimfast optima in a can, but found the powdered version where you mix it yourself much more palatable. I like to put in a cup of milk, scoop of powder (milk chocolate flavor) and a cup of ice in the blender and it thickens it. It isn't so bad! Hang in there, do your best, and good luck with your upcoming band!

Leah