1 week post op and starving!

jenf3

Hi, omg I'm one week out and the liquid diet is killing me! I am STARVING, I thought they said I wouldnt be hungry. I dont want to mess anything up, but last night I had a frozen yogurt and today I had some potato soup and a bite of a muffin...and nothing happened??? At this point I'm almost curious to see if my band is even working! I wont do it but I'm still unsure how I was able to eat anything at all!

Hi, omg I'm one week out and the liquid diet is killing me! I am STARVING, I thought they said I wouldnt be hungry. I dont want to mess anything up, but last night I had a frozen yogurt and today I had some potato soup and a bite of a muffin...and nothing happened??? At this point I'm almost curious to see if my band is even working! I wont do it but I'm still unsure how I was able to eat anything at all!

Jen I had my surgery Monday and I know what you mean why is stomach churning and growling. I thought I was the only one feeling this way. Actually the day after my stomach was growling. I don't want to mess up either I'm only day 4 omg :((

Hi Jen,

This is Rob from Tucson. I was banded on Friday 6/22 and we met in the lobby just before you went in for your banding. Good to see you're holding up!

I haven't been so much physically hungry, but I did tire of the broth and clear liquids pretty quickly. I switched to sugarless applesauce (10 cal packs), small packs of puddings (50 cals), and have had small amounts of cream of tomato soup. I've also juiced organic apples, grapes, and cucumbers for the nutrion content. I've had zero problems tolerating any of the above I've eaten.

I too am wondering what effect solid foods will have with my band. I find I am staying somewhat "full" for about 2-3 hours after I eat, but I'm not sure if the hunger I feel after that is physical or mental. From what I understand, as we transition into solid foods we need to figure out how long we stay full. This will help us figure out if a fill will be necessary. On the other hand, I'm concerned that getting a slight fill will restrict too much causing PBing or other problems. I suspect we need to consult with Dr. Miranda et al for their guideance.

Good to see you're doing well!

Hi Jen,

This is Rob from Tucson. I was banded on Friday 6/22 and we met in the lobby just before you went in for your banding. Good to see you're holding up!

I haven't been so much physically hungry, but I did tire of the broth and clear liquids pretty quickly. I switched to sugarless applesauce (10 cal packs), small packs of puddings (50 cals), and have had small amounts of cream of tomato soup. I've also juiced organic apples, grapes, and cucumbers for the nutrion content. I've had zero problems tolerating any of the above I've eaten.

I too am wondering what effect solid foods will have with my band. I find I am staying somewhat "full" for about 2-3 hours after I eat, but I'm not sure if the hunger I feel after that is physical or mental. From what I understand, as we transition into solid foods we need to figure out how long we stay full. This will help us figure out if a fill will be necessary. On the other hand, I'm concerned that getting a slight fill will restrict too much causing PBing or other problems. I suspect we need to consult with Dr. Miranda et al for their guideance.

Good to see you're doing well!

HI! Good to hear from you! Those are some good ideas I will try some of those,I have noticed when I do fill up on a slimfast ect. I do feel full for a few hours and then all of a sudden I will have this weird tight feeling in my chest area and then I'm starving! Weird hu? I was sooo out of it on the pain meds when the dr. talked to me, I dont remember much of what he said. Well I"m glad to hear you are adjusting well!

Congrats All

Although you guys are newbies and I'm a 9 month veteran, were in the same boat. I had my 4th fill and am going through that mental physical hunger thing too. All will pass and come again with another( first fill). The first week is the hardest. Except for your first PB... then just make sure all guns in the house are locked and you don't have access. ( Especially if you try peanut butter on white bread.. even without a fill)

Good luck and if you have any questions give me a hallar

Tom

Current Weight 242

Hello everyone. I'd like to know what protein supplement you like to use for your protein shakes. I will be banded in 3 days and am going out to buy my supplies for when I come home. I was told to get whey protein with at least 20 grams of protein per serving. Any suggestions? I dont want to waste my money on all kinds of products that taste like chalk. Is there a particular one you liked the best? Thanks for your help!

Hello everyone. I'd like to know what protein supplement you like to use for your protein shakes. I will be banded in 3 days and am going out to buy my supplies for when I come home. I was told to get whey protein with at least 20 grams of protein per serving. Any suggestions? I dont want to waste my money on all kinds of products that taste like chalk. Is there a particular one you liked the best? Thanks for your help!

HI, I've been useing the carnation instant breakfast extra protien, I dont think they they have that much protien but they sure taste good and you can get them in variety pacs. Slimfast optima for on the go or at work is good too. I'm sure its ok because Dr. Miranda told me that was fine and that if you cant drink it dont have it sooo.. you can drink them. Also I thought I remember one of the Dr.s telling me that the first few weeks are for healing and not weightloss specificaly, which I'm not losing soo i guess I'm following dr. orders..lol

Hi Jen!

I just had my banding done on Monday, and I know just how you feel. Yesterday and today have been very tough for me. I watched my family eat pizza for dinner tonight, and it was sheer torture. I cant believe my stomach can growl so loud!!!!

peggy

• 2 weeks later...

I am starving too. I was banded on the 9th of July. I had to fast for the 3 days prior to surgery and I just got home today and I'm sooooo ungry. I have been sippign my water and had a frozen pop and the not so yummy protien drink. Question I need to drink a total of 64 ounces a day? this is all fluids combined? I also feel like I need to rurp but nothing will come up. I wonder if I drank too much too fast. My surgery went well however...the surgeon said it was text book and of course I made them all laugh before I went under....I don't recall a thing but was told I should do stand up and a face lift does not come with the band...darn it all....guess there was no harm in asking wish I knew what else I asked for!!!!!!!.

Mona

HI, I've been useing the carnation instant breakfast extra protien, I dont think they they have that much protien but they sure taste good and you can get them in variety pacs. Slimfast optima for on the go or at work is good too. I'm sure its ok because Dr. Miranda told me that was fine and that if you cant drink it dont have it sooo.. you can drink them. Also I thought I remember one of the Dr.s telling me that the first few weeks are for healing and not weightloss specificaly, which I'm not losing soo i guess I'm following dr. orders..lol

The Atkins Advantage taste like choc chalk....my kids think so too!!!!Guess they won't be trying to drink it so I will have to

I am starving too. I was banded on the 9th of July. I had to fast for the 3 days prior to surgery and I just got home today and I'm sooooo ungry. I have been sippign my water and had a frozen pop and the not so yummy protien drink. Question I need to drink a total of 64 ounces a day? this is all fluids combined? I also feel like I need to rurp but nothing will come up. I wonder if I drank too much too fast. My surgery went well however...the surgeon said it was text book and of course I made them all laugh before I went under....I don't recall a thing but was told I should do stand up and a face lift does not come with the band...darn it all....guess there was no harm in asking wish I knew what else I asked for!!!!!!!.

Mona

Mona,

Your after band instructions are a little different from Dr. Ortiz's so I don't really know how to advise you there, but I was banded the same day as you and the burping is a small issue for me also. I am being very patient and not forcing anything out. I noticed that if I tip forward just a little it seems to help. They are very small though. I am feeling less pressure today so I think the gas is just about out. Remember to keep walking. I did some mild housework tonight. I feel better since.

Judy

down 5 lbs since surgery 7/9

16 since pre op diet

45-50 to go

I was banded on July 3rd and I'm down more than 15 lbs. in about 10 days. However, I think Dr. Miranda did me a mis-service by telling me I wouldn't be hungry. I beg to differ. Those roaring sounds are not lions, they are indeed, my stomach demanding food! I've cheated a tiny bit with string cheese (low fat of course) and an egg. No negative results. For you veterans out there - have any of you eaten real food before the 3 weeks? If so, did you have any negative consequences? I figure that that what don't kill me will make me stronger. Just kiddin' but 3 weeks of liquid is just not natural! Not that I'm going to go off the deep end but, really, can't we eat something! Veteran banders please reply! Help!

Hi Judy,

I am following a post operative Bariatric Diet the hospital dietician gave me.

Week#1 64 ozs water fluid a day and protien supplement.

Week #2 which will start Monday YEAH!!!! introdue yogurt,cottage cheese, apple sauce and loose mashed potatoes...all low fat no sugar added.and the dreaded protien shakes...yuck

I'm hungry. But I do know that I need to follow the program and heal.

I think I've lost 9 pounds already....only 81 to go and counting down. I will get my fill in 6 weeks. I am having a hard time sleeping can't get comfy, kind of sore around the port site. The burps are getting better but they still come, I'll try to lean forward hopefully that will help. I've been walking also and of course the housework is never ending so if you need more to do stop on by.

I have to say my family has been very supportive. I was bored yesterday so I cooked a big dinner for them since I have neglected them in that area for the past week and they have been fending for themselves with frozen stuff. During dinner my 8 year old as he is shoveling in his dinner is telling me how aweful the dinner is as the 9 year old tells me it taste terrible as I sip my protien drink.....Kids are too cute.

Have a great day.

Mona

Mona

Hi! I was banded on 6/28/07 and I too had them all laughing before I went in. The last thing I remember was the nurse giving me the sedative, my mom and dad were there and I just busted out laughing because it felt so good! lol... and apparently they said I continued giggling on into the OR. I don't even remember them putting me out, I just woke up and it was over! But I just remember laughing my butt off while they were wheeling me into the OR.

As far as the food goes, it is exactly 15 days post op for me. Whoo hoo! only six more days until I can have REAL food!!!!! I am starving as well, but the potato soup has been a BIG help. My doc also says I can have scrambled eggs and that is awesome. So... anyway, good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
The Atkins Advantage taste like choc chalk....my kids think so too!!!!Guess they won't be trying to drink it so I will have to

;) I did Atkins for almost two years and lost a lot of weight and at first the products do taste pretty chalky. As I dotoxed all the sugar from my system the Atkins products begin to taste sweet to me. It's the same as switching from regular coke to diet. It takes some getting used to. I like the Atkins drinks because they have around 15 grams protein and lots of vitamins. Good luck to you!

I went to Costco and they have a great Protein drink it is made by Premier and has 30 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar it is good and fills the need for foods Good luck I am on full liquids until August 3rd.

Blessings

Mary