no restriction

• 2 weeks later...
:angry:

I had my surgery in TJ on May 25th - had my first fill on July 18- 2.66cc - no restriction what so ever - the nurse doing the fill said I should have alot of restriction but I dont - I have the Obtech band - anyobe experienced this?

I had my surgery on April 12th, 1st fill on June 8th, I am going for my second fill on August 20th. I have the VG band and my first fill was 4cc. I knew almost the same day that I did not have enough restriction, but I was afraid to get more. I have had very little restriction up to this point. I have just decided that I will be more aggressive on getting as many fills as I need to get to the sweet spot. Hang in there.

Diana

I disagree. I am now very happy with my VG band. I do agree however that the time it takes and the amount of fills it takes to find the correct level of restriction can be VERY frustrating. Don't give up. Each person is different, with most VG band wearers needing between 7 and 9 cc's for a sweet spot. I know many VG bandsters who have acheived their goal weight and are happy with their bands. Never give up!! Nita

I think for some people it just takes a little more time to reach that "sweet spot" with the band be it standard or VG. I think it you look at the over 4000 bands that Dr. O has placed and the relatively few people here that are experiecing a problem you'll realize how effcient the band is... be it VG or standard. Some people's bodies react very different to fills. Some people, especially with that first fill or two (i count it as ONE fill if done on the same day) swell during the fill process which makes it seem like they are over filled or have enough fill during the fill process but as that swelling dissipates, they find they don't have enough restriction... that's why it takes a little more time and effort to get to that sweet spot. Fills tend to be more "readable" on subsequent fills because your stomach is more used to the restriction and you tend to swell less... if at all. That's why you don't have to be on liquids (usually) for subsequent fills.

Don't throw the band out with the bathwater from one fill experience!

I ditto both Nita and Lori. The VG Band was determined to be the band most effiecient for you , by someone who has placed over 4000 bands. Why don't they give all the chemotheraphy treatments on the same day during the same week, because it's not medically sound to do so, same with the band that was chosen for your medical condition.

Most times the VG gets blamed and it's really the patient's patience that is to blame. Just sit back and relax. Go to the store and find a 25 pound bag od rice...25 pounds is a lot of poundage to get rid off.. now image 3, 4 or 5 of those bags needing lost... It takes time...

Tom

I have now had two fills and still have no restriction at all. I think at some point I have to come to the conclusion that the VG band is highly inefficient.

What? You said you had good restriction when you came back from the last fill!!!! It sure didn't last long. Wow! Bummer. You can't give up ... the article's not finished. Seems like the VG band takes a lot to get there.

I ditto both Nita and Lori. The VG Band was determined to be the band most effiecient for you , by someone who has placed over 4000 bands. Why don't they give all the chemotheraphy treatments on the same day during the same week, because it's not medically sound to do so, same with the band that was chosen for your medical condition.

Most times the VG gets blamed and it's really the patient's patience that is to blame. Just sit back and relax. Go to the store and find a 25 pound bag od rice...25 pounds is a lot of poundage to get rid off.. now image 3, 4 or 5 of those bags needing lost... It takes time...

Tom

RAH LOL =D>

Ok, so I had surgery May 21st and my first fill July 21st. The doc adjusted the band from putting in 4cc's and then I drank sips of water and depending how quickly it went down, she adjusted it after each sip by taking some out. I ended up with 3.2cc. I was kinda bummed because I wanted to be able to get the full normal first 4cc fill for a VG band. But, I didn't want to get in trouble with being too tight, etc.

My understanding is that the more fat you still have around your stomach, the less fill you can tolerate because of it still causing tightness around the band. The more fat you lose in that area, the more fill you can tolerate to a point. I think I explained that right. LOL

After two weeks I could eat almost as much as I could before the fill which can be alot, but certain foods I can still feel the restriction. I am so ready for another fill now, but putting it off because of finances and time.

Good luck all and enjoy bandland. :)

Peace,

Judy

Most times the VG gets blamed and it's really the patient's patience that is to blame. Just sit back and relax.

Does that mean that I shouldn't get another fill? Wait a few weeks and get another fill? Wait a few months and get another fill? If patience is needed, I'm prepared to be patient. However, it would help to know exactly how patient I need to be and when I cross the line and become irresponsible or unresponsive.

Good question!! I know I have been exactly where you are with this thing. I really hope you can find your happy place with this silly thing. Even with good restriction, some days I can eat too much. So then I'm thinkin'...hmm....another fill? And then the next day..wham...it's back to being tight..It is hard too determine..even for myself sometimes what it needs. My guess is that if YOU feel like you are eating too much, if you feel like you are not losing weight, then go for the fill. There is no exact amount, because we are all different. I know that the last time I went, I was afraid for a couple of days that it was too tight. Sorry I can't be of any help to you here, but I really, really, hope you will be able to find the right level for you soon. Don't give up, because when you do get there, you will believe in it's worth. Cheers. Nita

NoWorry, this is no different than any other kind of medical treatment - EVERY BODY REACTS DIFFERENTLY. I have migraines. I talk a lot with other migraine sufferers. There can be a drug that doesn't work at all on one person, works OK on someone else, works perfectly on another person, causes odd side effects on someone else and dangerous side effects on yet another person. THERE IS NO ONE ANSWER.

When Fills Center USA called me to schedule a fill, they were very surprised I had such a small amount. But you know what? I lost weight with that amount. Meanwhile there are people I was banded with who have almost 3 times the fill I have but are still needing more. Just like the probably 100's of different medications I've tried over the last 30+ years for migraines, this is no different - you start conservatively and go from there. I can tell you from experience the LAST thing you want is an overfill. But when I was overfilled I received less than I've seen ANYONE ELSE get on their first fill from Dr. Romero. So how was he to know I was going to be different? He didn't. He tried. It was wrong. We worked on it and fixed the problem.

I would love for medicine to be an exact science and I would love everyone's body to be exactly the same (preferably Angelia Jolie's ;) ) but that's just not how it works. If you're looking for cut and dried solutions and absolutes every time, then perhaps the lapband wasn't/isn't for you.

If you're looking for cut and dried solutions and absolutes every time, then perhaps the lapband wasn't/isn't for you.

Thank you. The support here has been very enlightening. Let me see if I've followed:

1. Just sit back and relax. (Because everyone knows that that's the most successful weight loss technique.)

2. If I would like advice on when to get my next fill, the LapBand isn't for me. (Now that's really helpful support! Was a time when people didn't know the answer to a question, they simply let the question pass. Now it seems appropriate to pipe up and say that since they don't know, it can only possibly be because absolutely no one knows - after all, migraines and bariatric surgery are almost exactly the same thing, aren't they?)

Not for nothing, a buddy who was banded 3 weeks before me in the US has regular, scheduled appointments with his fill doctor every 4 weeks where he discusses his progress, his current level of restriction and together they decide whether another fill is needed (yes, surprise, his fill doctor actually knows when another fill is needed). While he's there, he's weighed and a record of his weight loss is kept in his chart. And each time as he leaves, his doctor schedules another appointment in another 4 weeks. Anyone been weighed at OCC during a fill trip?

On the flip side, when I try to contact Ortiz, my inquiry gets shuttled to the fill doctors who don't respond at all. Boy, am I glad I saved all that money going to Mexico! After all, if I'm going to have surgery that isn't for me, I might as well get a bargain!

I know that the last time I went, I was afraid for a couple of days that it was too tight. Sorry I can't be of any help to you here, but I really, really, hope you will be able to find the right level for you soon. Don't give up, because when you do get there, you will believe in it's worth. Cheers. Nita

Thanks, Nita. I really appreciate your comments. While you struggled with your decisions (too tight, right level) did you consult with anyone at OCC at all, or did you have to make all your decisions on your own?

Not for nothing, a buddy who was banded 3 weeks before me in the US has regular, scheduled appointments with his fill doctor every 4 weeks where he discusses his progress, his current level of restriction and together they decide whether another fill is needed (yes, surprise, his fill doctor actually knows when another fill is needed). While he's there, he's weighed and a record of his weight loss is kept in his chart. And each time as he leaves, his doctor schedules another appointment in another 4 weeks. Anyone been weighed at OCC during a fill trip?

On the flip side, when I try to contact Ortiz, my inquiry gets shuttled to the fill doctors who don't respond at all. Boy, am I glad I saved all that money going to Mexico! After all, if I'm going to have surgery that isn't for me, I might as well get a bargain!

So start going to your buddy's doctor. Problem solved.

Yes, I have always been weighed at OCC. You can also schedule appointments with them every 4 weeks if that's what's important to you. And yes, I have always been able to talk to Dr. Romero if there's been an issue (like when I was overfilled).

Thanks, Nita. I really appreciate your comments. While you struggled with your decisions (too tight, right level) did you consult with anyone at OCC at all, or did you have to make all your decisions on your own?

Dear No,

What an interesting journey this band experience is. There's lots I still haven't decided about. There are a few conclusions at which I have arrived.

1. The lap band procedure, admitedly in it's infancy, is really primitive. It works so much better for some people than others. Gastric bypass is much more predictable, but for those of us who don't meet the insurance requirements or don't want our insides surgically rearranged, banding appears to be the only other choice.

2. I am not going to be one of the ones it's going to be so easy for. Lapband literature should be a little more forthcoming.about the difficulties some people experience.

I, however, am still hopeful that I will ultimately find my way through the maze and find the band to be worthwhile. I hope you too a planning to give it more time.

So start going to your buddy's doctor. Problem solved.

That's over-simplistic and under-informed. As with most bariatric surgeons in the US, they will not fill patients from other surgeons, especially those banded in Mexico.

Yes, I have always been weighed at OCC. You can also schedule appointments with them every 4 weeks if that's what's important to you. And yes, I have always been able to talk to Dr. Romero if there's been an issue (like when I was overfilled).

Good for you. Apparently the distinction of who is making the appointment is lost on you. I find it hard to believe that you do not see that this clinic's approach represents a higher level of after care, where the physician takes the lead in ensuring success and the physician initiates regular communication even when there is no issue.

I, however, am still hopeful that I will ultimately find my way through the maze and find the band to be worthwhile.

Yeah, me too! But there are still a lot of decisions to made to get through the maze. At the present time, I need to make the following decisions:

1. When should I schedule my next fill?

2. What results can I reasonably expect from that fill?

3. Where should I have my next fill?

How are you making out with these questions? Is there any guidance you can provide me with?

Thank you. The support here has been very enlightening. Let me see if I've followed:

1. Just sit back and relax. (Because everyone knows that that's the most successful weight loss technique.)

2. If I would like advice on when to get my next fill, the LapBand isn't for me. (Now that's really helpful support! Was a time when people didn't know the answer to a question, they simply let the question pass. Now it seems appropriate to pipe up and say that since they don't know, it can only possibly be because absolutely no one knows - after all, migraines and bariatric surgery are almost exactly the same thing, aren't they?)

YOU CAN SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT EVERY 4 WEEKS AT THE OCC IF YOU'D LIKE. EACH TIME I'VE DISCUSSED WITH THE DR HOW I'M FEELING, HOW MUCH RESTRICTION OR LACK OF RESTRICTION I HAD. BOTH TIMES I HAD FILLS AT THE OCC, I WAS ALSO WEIGHED. THERE'S A SCALE IN THE FILL ROOM RIGHT NEXT TO THE DOOR WHEN I WAS DOWN THERE.

THE LOCAL FILL GAL HERE WEIGHTS YOU AND ALSO CHARTS MY PROGRESS. I'M FEELING FINE NOW SO I HAVEN'T BEEN BACK UP THERE. I PLAN ON RETURNING TO THE OCC FOR AN ENDOSCOPY IN A YEAR. IF MY FILL LEVEL STAYS THE WAY IT IS, I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO RETURN UNTIL THEN

MY REGULAR MD ALSO IS CHARTING OF MY WEIGHT LOSS, GAIN WHEN I GO IN

I'm very glad for you that you're having a smooth journey.

IT DIDN'T START OUT LIKE THAT. MY FIRST FILL DIDN'T LAST LONG, MAYBE A WEEK? MY NEXT FILL LASTED FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS BUT I DIDN'T GO IN FOR SEVERAL MONTHS ABOUT THAT FOR ANOTHER FILL

No Worry,

I didn't consult them...I have joined a couple of local support groups with some long term bandsters and I do alot of reading, both online and any book I can find. I know it is very difficult when your Dr is sooo far away. I'm not sure that any answers that the OCC gives me will satisfy me either. I guess I just feel like, since I made the decision to basically do this thing on my own, then I am trying to handle the decisions for fills and trips to TJ the same way. Sometimes it is sooo hard to know what to do. I am also finding that the "20 lb" rule seems to be holding for me. Seems like every 20-25lbs I can eat too much. I just figure that I've come this far, and I will finish no matter what. Good Luck and keep me informed with how it's going. Nita

I am also finding that the "20 lb" rule seems to be holding for me. Seems like every 20-25lbs I can eat too much. I just figure that I've come this far, and I will finish no matter what. Good Luck and keep me informed with how it's going. Nita

Thanks so much for your feedback, Nita. It's terrific that you've done your homework through your support groups and are generously sharing them here. Now that I'm 're-setting' my expectations based on this new information, a fill every 20-25 lbs doesn't sound too bad. I have only 70 lbs to lose, so that means about 3 fills to get there. Of course, first I have to get to that elusive sweet spot and actually start losing weight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the local FillCenters doctor can do an adequate fill. That should make the remaining journey manageable.

OK - here are some recent experiences that show just how "inconsistent" your body can be (hard to blame it on a piece of plastic).

Back in April I had a 1.5cc fill. A few days later I couldn't get down even a sip of water. A week later, total unfill.

Next month, got .8cc. This worked GREAT when I was on my period (which has been more often than not lately) and semi good when I wasn't on it. A week or so ago I had no restriction, made an appointment, got a 1.4cc fill but in the fluro, everything went right through. AND I was on my period. Me, being the wimp that I am, wanted to see if that fill "took" later on. That was almost 48 hours ago and zero restriction. No weight was lost from the end of the time I had good restriction at .8cc and now so it's not entirely weight related. In fact, I've GAINED 3 pounds since I started feeling no restriction last week.

SO.....same body, close to the same weight, 3 different fill levels, 3 different experiences.

Honestly, I just don't see how you're going to get a pat answer as to "What's the right fill amount for restriction?" from anyone but yourself when it not only varies so much from person to person, but it varies so much WITHIN THE SAME PERSON!

Honestly, I just don't see how you're going to get a pat answer as to "What's the right fill amount for restriction?" from anyone but yourself when it not only varies so much from person to person, but it varies so much WITHIN THE SAME PERSON!

This makes perfect sense. (And I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much with finding the optimal fill for yourself. I would not have guessed that you were having so many problems.)

Rather than trying to answer the question "What's the right fill amount?" I'm trying to answer the question "What's the best strategy for fills and weight loss with the band?" I found both Nita's and Roger's information quite invaluable in trying to develop this strategy.