Fill Center in WA state

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for about a week now and have decided to get banded. I'm trying to plan in advance in how I would do the fills. Anyone here in WA state have recommendations for a fill doctor? I'd really appreciate your input, pros and cons. The closest FillUSA center to me is Auburn, WA... but when I do a search on the internet there seems to be quite a bit here in WA now. I'm located in the Everett area. Is it better to have the fill done in TJ with Dr. Ortiz's team? Oh yeah, I'm going to go with Dr. Ortiz on the lapband surgery. I wouldn't mind going to TJ for the first fill but if I have to keep going once a month then it could get expensive. Thanks in advance for any of your input!

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for about a week now and have decided to get banded. I'm trying to plan in advance in how I would do the fills. Anyone here in WA state have recommendations for a fill doctor? I'd really appreciate your input, pros and cons. The closest FillUSA center to me is Auburn, WA... but when I do a search on the internet there seems to be quite a bit here in WA now. I'm located in the Everett area. Is it better to have the fill done in TJ with Dr. Ortiz's team? Oh yeah, I'm going to go with Dr. Ortiz on the lapband surgery. I wouldn't mind going to TJ for the first fill but if I have to keep going once a month then it could get expensive. Thanks in advance for any of your input!

The Arlington Pharmacy is where I've gone and it has been a good experience. It took 3 fills to get to my sweet spot. =D>

The Arlington Pharmacy is where I've gone and it has been a good experience. It took 3 fills to get to my sweet spot. =D>

Thanks. Congratulations on your success so far... It seems you're doing well. Do you know how much they charge and if they do fluoroscopy? Thanks for your reply!

Can you stay in touch with me? I'm about a week behind you - I just discovered Dr. Ortiz and his surgery center on Oprah last week. I'm 90% sure I'm going to do it - just nervous I guess. And I too am curious about the fills. I'm in Olympia - so if you find out more, let me know. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Can you stay in touch with me? I'm about a week behind you - I just discovered Dr. Ortiz and his surgery center on Oprah last week. I'm 90% sure I'm going to do it - just nervous I guess. And I too am curious about the fills. I'm in Olympia - so if you find out more, let me know. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Calicat--

There is a Dr. in Olympia who will do fills for patients from Mexico. I have his information, but decided to go back to Dr. Ortiz office for my fills---I trust them but I have a few friends that have gone there. It is Dr Neal or Dr Ogle at Pacific Surgical Weight Loss Center. They charge $375 for the fill and if they have to re adjust it is $150. They do flouro with the fills.

Hope this helps.

Donna

I go to get fills in Arlington. I had my first fill with Dr. Ortiz, as I was there for my aunt's surgery. It went great. But when I went for my second fill, we just went for the day. And I was miserable for a week. I really think the changes in pressure from flying really did a number on my band. The first time, I was there for a day before my fill, then a day after, and that gave my band time to adjust. But just going in a day, the restriction was so tight for a couple of days, I really probably should have gotten an unfill, but couldn't find a place, then when I could go, I felt a lot better.

I love them in Arlington, but they don't use fluoroscopy. That is the downside for me. THe upside is that they are easily available, extremely nice and helpful, available for emergencies at any time, and have never had even the slightest problem with finding the port. I am not at all worried going to them. And they are very reasonably priced, which I really appreciate.

Becki

Thanks. Congratulations on your success so far... It seems you're doing well. Do you know how much they charge and if they do fluoroscopy? Thanks for your reply!

Inside the Arlington Pharmacy is the fill clinic, it is called Fill Management Northwest, phone # 360-435-5365. The first fill was $150 then $125 after that. Adjustments within 10 days are $50. They have been right on hitting my port which happens to be deeper than usual according to Kitty. They are very nice. The web address is http://www.northwestfills.com/. For the most part I am doing well. I had a handful of goldfish crackers right before going in for a pedicure and as I was in the middle of my appt and trying to gracefully spit up (since they got stuck, ate too quickly), this huge uncontrollable slim came up and the paper towel was not enough. I was a mess, thank God I had layers of shirts to peel off. That experience I will learn from and not soon forget. Although I still have to laugh at trying to explain that I didn't have the flu. Still a student of the band 101, HaHa :lol: Ha!!!

The nurses from Arlington also make the trek down to Pt Orchard every other month. There is a support group which meets there monthly and they will do fills and then stay on the for the meeting. The next time they'll be down is on the 20th.

I go to the Ladies in Arlington at Northwest Fill Management. They are great ladies. Just had a fill done In January and they told me that they are getting a Floroscopy (sorry BAD spelling) They are also trying to get their own office building instead of being in the pharmacy. For those of you closer to Spokane they are now going to be traveling to Spokane every other month starting on the weekend of March 15th. Give them a call. Good luck to youall.

Hi Calicat! I understand you completely... Quite a bit of people responded since I last checked this forum as you can see. There seems to be one close to you in Olympia. I have heard good reviews with the Arlington location which is closer to me. I actually went to a seminar locally, I thinks it's called the Northwest Weight Loss Surgery Center in Everett and I was told that if your surgery is/was done out of the country then they would not do your fills because you become a liability. NWWLS seem like nice people too but the cost of surgery for self pay is 18K! I became concerned about doing the surgery out of the country because I was affraid that even my own health insurance will not cover my care if an emergency arises. I called my health insurance (Aetna HMO), the employer opted not to have weight loss surgeries covered. Aetna, depends on your health plan, does cover weight loss surgeries but you have to jump through hoops to qualify and you have to have the right plan, there's a ton of them and your employer's HR benefit admin should be able to tell you. My bmi is 33 so I needed to gain more weight to qualify basically. I'm already suffering from diabetes and hypertension so I'm not willing to wait to get even worse. Aetna however does cover ANY emergency that may arise from your surgery. If you read in lapband forums you'll find new bandsters tend to panic (then consider non-emergencies as emergencies) but the wise thing to do is call Dr. Ortiz first then if an emergency does exist he will tell you to go to the emergency hospital. I didn't see the Oprah show, I've seen clips on the web though.

So this is my assessment Calicat, it will cost 8K(Dr. Ortiz) vs 18K(NWWLS) self pay. I've spoken to the surgeon here and he is nice and has good reviews and same with Dr. Ortiz. You will have to pay for your flight and cost for fills to go to TJ but that's where some of the money you saved can go towards. And remember Dr. Ortiz proctored for Inamed for other surgeons to do this proceduce worldwide! He probably taught the Dr. I spoke with here at NWWLS. Anyways, the expertise of the Dr. is most important to me, cost and convenience is next. Since I've decided on Dr. Ortiz, I'm willing to spend that extra cost to travel back and forth for the fills (a lot of Dr. Ortiz's patients do it). I will also make arrangements to see the Arlington fill (Kitty) here, just in case I can't get to TJ fast enough for an unfill or it's not convenient to travel to TJ for a fill. My tentative date is February 28th for surgery, but I was holding off until my husband and I talked with Dr. Ortiz. I'm pretty set on the surgery but am scared and excited at the same time. It is after all a major surgery but then again it is the less invasive procedure being done Laparoscopically. From what I've read it isn't easy being a bandster either... we are going to work hard to follow the doctor's order for after care and eating habits. BUT the rewards....to be healthy!! No more meds sounds so great to me. To be able to have lots of energy to do things again that I haven't been able to for awhile. I'm also hoping for my diabetes to go into remission. The stats are looking towards my favor. Anyways... I am looking towards everybody here in the forum to give me a lot of support and resources for my journey :rolleyes:

Calicat, let's keep in touch with each other. I'll post after my surgery in how it went. Contact me anytime!

Blessings,

Hanna

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so sorry - I just found your post today!! How did your surgery go? How's your recovery? I'm scheduled for 4/4/08 and I'm soooo excited I can't wait! I have Group Health and they don't cover it - and my doctor said they wouldn't anyways because there is "nothing" wrong with me. I have normal BP, cholesterol, etc. It's just my BMI that's high. So I too have decided on Dr. Ortiz. And here in Lacey, they will do the fluoro fills on Mexico patients for $375. I need to fill out the application and get signed up.

I hope you're well and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi Calicat! I understand you completely... Quite a bit of people responded since I last checked this forum as you can see. There seems to be one close to you in Olympia. I have heard good reviews with the Arlington location which is closer to me. I actually went to a seminar locally, I thinks it's called the Northwest Weight Loss Surgery Center in Everett and I was told that if your surgery is/was done out of the country then they would not do your fills because you become a liability. NWWLS seem like nice people too but the cost of surgery for self pay is 18K! I became concerned about doing the surgery out of the country because I was affraid that even my own health insurance will not cover my care if an emergency arises. I called my health insurance (Aetna HMO), the employer opted not to have weight loss surgeries covered. Aetna, depends on your health plan, does cover weight loss surgeries but you have to jump through hoops to qualify and you have to have the right plan, there's a ton of them and your employer's HR benefit admin should be able to tell you. My bmi is 33 so I needed to gain more weight to qualify basically. I'm already suffering from diabetes and hypertension so I'm not willing to wait to get even worse. Aetna however does cover ANY emergency that may arise from your surgery. If you read in lapband forums you'll find new bandsters tend to panic (then consider non-emergencies as emergencies) but the wise thing to do is call Dr. Ortiz first then if an emergency does exist he will tell you to go to the emergency hospital. I didn't see the Oprah show, I've seen clips on the web though.

So this is my assessment Calicat, it will cost 8K(Dr. Ortiz) vs 18K(NWWLS) self pay. I've spoken to the surgeon here and he is nice and has good reviews and same with Dr. Ortiz. You will have to pay for your flight and cost for fills to go to TJ but that's where some of the money you saved can go towards. And remember Dr. Ortiz proctored for Inamed for other surgeons to do this proceduce worldwide! He probably taught the Dr. I spoke with here at NWWLS. Anyways, the expertise of the Dr. is most important to me, cost and convenience is next. Since I've decided on Dr. Ortiz, I'm willing to spend that extra cost to travel back and forth for the fills (a lot of Dr. Ortiz's patients do it). I will also make arrangements to see the Arlington fill (Kitty) here, just in case I can't get to TJ fast enough for an unfill or it's not convenient to travel to TJ for a fill. My tentative date is February 28th for surgery, but I was holding off until my husband and I talked with Dr. Ortiz. I'm pretty set on the surgery but am scared and excited at the same time. It is after all a major surgery but then again it is the less invasive procedure being done Laparoscopically. From what I've read it isn't easy being a bandster either... we are going to work hard to follow the doctor's order for after care and eating habits. BUT the rewards....to be healthy!! No more meds sounds so great to me. To be able to have lots of energy to do things again that I haven't been able to for awhile. I'm also hoping for my diabetes to go into remission. The stats are looking towards my favor. Anyways... I am looking towards everybody here in the forum to give me a lot of support and resources for my journey :rolleyes:

Calicat, let's keep in touch with each other. I'll post after my surgery in how it went. Contact me anytime!

Blessings,

Hanna

I just made my first appointment for a Fill at the Arlington Pharmacy. I'm so excited to get it, and nervouse at the same time.

They now have the Floroscopy,too. Robin made me feel at ease and was very helpful with answering my questions! Now I just have to wait until the end of the month for my fill.

Peace,

M

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

Hi Deon, Suffina,

Fluoro Fill is a fill with x-ray.. They have you drink barium to see on the x-ray the flow of water as it passes your band. I think it also sees the placement of your band to see that all is well and that it has not slipped. I'm due for my fluoro fill in a week at OCC. I chose to do this for my first fill so that I have that assurance that all is functioning well and to return to OCC for a mini vacation.

Do a search on this forum for topics you are trying to read about. I'm sure this question has been answered before here somewhere. Welcome!

Hanna :)

• 2 weeks later...

Boy how time flies!

I had my first fill 3 weeks ago, and an unfill 5 days later. Boy let me tell you this is certainly an experience!!

Anyway - I LOVE the ladies at the Arlington Pharmacy!! They are so kind and understanding.

My band size is the 4/9.5 or something like that. Which I guess means I can be filled up to 4ccs. They filled me with 1.6ccs. About 5 days later I realized I wasn't really eating anything, so they did an unfil - .6ccs. Now I'm good. I don't usually ever feel hungry, so I need to remind myself to eat and since the fill I'm loosing about 3lbs a week. I'm so happy!

This is a great new start for me, and I'm loving it so much. I cry sometimes because I'm so happy. While I still have about 50lbs to go, I know now that it's possible - and it's really happening. I'm looking forward to summer this year for the first time in so long!

Good Luck to us all!!

Much Peace,

Maggie

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

Pacific Nutrition and Wellness is now offering a band fill program in Edmonds Washington. Mexican patients are welcome. www.pacificnutritionwellness.com

• 4 weeks later...

Fill Management NW has moved to Marysville and does have fluoro since December. You can look it up on www.northwestfills.com

I love them in Arlington, but they don't use fluoroscopy. That is the downside for me. THe upside is that they are easily available, extremely nice and helpful, available for emergencies at any time, and have never had even the slightest problem with finding the port. I am not at all worried going to them. And they are very reasonably priced, which I really appreciate.

Becki

Pacific Nutrition and Wellness is now offering a band fill program in Edmonds Washington. Mexican patients are welcome. www.pacificnutritionwellness.com

this place will not do fills unless you sign up for their 3 month plan "counseling" plan for $380.0 or their 6 month "counseling" plan for $780.00

THEN

you have to spend an additional $135.00 for a blind fill IF they will let you.

does not sound legit...if patients want to get a fill, you should not have to jump through hoops to do it or sign up for food counseling.

this place will not do fills unless you sign up for their 3 month plan "counseling" plan for $380.0 or their 6 month "counseling" plan for $780.00

THEN

you have to spend an additional $135.00 for a blind fill IF they will let you.

does not sound legit...if patients want to get a fill, you should not have to jump through hoops to do it or sign up for food counseling.

WOW, THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!!!

THOUGH I'VE USED NW FILL MANAGEMENT FOR YEARS AND BEEN EXTREMELY HAPPY, I THOUGHT IT NICE TO HAVE ANOTHER OPTION BUT NOT UNDER THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES, EEEECK