"Healthy" Creamy Soups

Jacklynrae

Hi all!

I am about 2 days away from creamy soups and am so excited, but I know alot of us are worried about the fatty content of the soups and while I can't offer you tons of recipes I have a couple of great recipes from Weight Watchers for creamy soups....my favorite is Cheddar Cheese soup....mmmm my mouth is foaming! So if anybody would like them let me know and if you have a particular kind you would like me to look for I will be more than glad to do so. Every little bit counts so I know I am looking forward to soups but still want to watch what I eat. Hope to hear from you!

God Bless and Good luck,

Jacklyn

Oh thanks so much!

My Mom actually makes me a huge pot of homemade creamy potato soup once a week and I eat it all week. LOL It tastes like a rib-eye. Haha

OK Jacklyn, Just go ahead and post that cheese soup recipe. That does sound great. I also love Tomato soup. Which is kinda crazy because I do not like tomatoes. :lol: But one night I cooked my husband spagetti and it look oh so good. So I took a little oregano, garlic salt, and parsley and added to my tomato soup and it honestly tasted like spagetti sauce. It was great!

Oh thanks so much!

My Mom actually makes me a huge pot of homemade creamy potato soup once a week and I eat it all week. LOL It tastes like a rib-eye. Haha

OK Kimmie - I'll take that recipe also if your mom is willing to part with it.

Hi Jacklyn,

Can you post the creamy soup recipes you have, if it's not too much trouble. Maybe we can start our own healthy recipe cook band for lap band patients.

Thanks lots,

Helen ><'

Hi Kimmie,

I would love to have your mom's recipe; if she doesn't mind.

By the way, I noticed that many of you seem to have the weight tracking device on your post; I was able to find it and put in the data, but I can't figure out how to get it to the forum and my control panel to use it. Can you help?

My best, Helen ><'

Hi Kimmie,

I would love to have your mom's recipe; if she doesn't mind.

By the way, I noticed that many of you seem to have the weight tracking device on your post; I was able to find it and put in the data, but I can't figure out how to get it to the forum and my control panel to use it. Can you help?

My best, Helen ><'

Hi Helen,

Check out this post about how to install a ticker: http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5317

Here is the recipe for the most heavenly cheddar cheese soup! Enjoy everyone!

I am however waiting for Kimmie's mom recipe....haha if she is willing to share of course. I might have to experiment with some other recipes!

1 1/2 cup fat free skim milk

7 oz low fat cheear or colby cheese about 1 3/4 cups

1 tsp paprika

1/8 tsp black pepper or to taste

1/8 tsp salt

2 tsp olive oil

1/2 cup yellow onion chopped (I left this out and had no taste complaints)

3 tbs all purpose flour

2 cup fat free chicken broth (the low sodium stuff is great too, watch that salt intake)

Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium high heat,add onion (if u want) cook until soft. Add flour and stir to coat.

Add chicken broth bring to boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat to meduim and simmer until soup thickens about 1-2 minutes. Add milk and return to

boil stirring constantly.

Working in batches puree soup in a blender until smooth. (Be very careful...probably let it cool had troubles with this part first time I made it haha

NOT pretty) Reheat soup til a boil and remove from heat. Whisk in the cheese stir until melted, if cheese never melts heat until it does so. Season

to taste with salt and pepper.

Use paprika as a garnish!

Helen!

These are all the recipes I have and I can't attest to all of them except the cheddar cheese soup. But they are all weight watchers and I have enjoyed their food even when not on a diet so I plan to try many of these.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Cream of Potato Soup

Creamy Thai Carrot Soup

If you are interested in any of these let me know and I will def. get them to you!

God Bless

Jacklyn

Hi Jacklyn,

I would love the creamy potato soup and the creamy Thai Carrot Soup - I could eat them now, but alas, it's only been 5 days since I've been banded.

Thanks so much.

Best, Helen ><'

Hi Jacklyn,

I would love the creamy potato soup and the creamy Thai Carrot Soup - I could eat them now, but alas, it's only been 5 days since I've been banded.

Thanks so much.

Best, Helen ><'

Hi Helen,

Check out this post about how to install a ticker: http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5317

WOOT! Congrats Michelle.. great weight loss!

I don't know why it didn't dawn on me til just now, (I think I have been bouncing on the clueless couch all day,) but when we get to solid food, which for me is tomorrow, we have to say goodbye to soups. Sigh... soup is a comfort food to me...

Well, I know it will be worth it. (I hope I feel this way when next I meet a bowl of gumbo.)

Here you go Helen let me know if you try the Thai Carrot Soup...it sounds interesting but I am just not sure. Hope you enjoy!

Creamy Potato Soup

12 oz fat free evaporated milk

1/3 tsp dried parsley

1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

1/8 tsp salt, or to taste

2 tsp olive oil

1/3 tsp chives, dried

3 medium garlic cloves minced

2 medium leeks, washed and coursely chopped (I can rearely find these and leaving them out doesn't sacrifice flavor)

4 cup canned chicken broth (low fat and reduced sodium great!)

4 medium Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1/3 tsp taragon

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add leeks and garlic saute until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Add dried herbs and stir to coat,

cook until herbs are fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add potatoes and broth and bring mixture to a boil. reduce heat to medium low, partially cover and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.

Puree 4 cups of potato mixture in a bleder or food processor until smooth. Return puree to pot, add evaporated milk and cook 1 minute to heat through.

Season to taste with salt and pepper

Creamy Thai Carrot Soup

6 oz low fat-tofu, silken variety

1 1/2 tsp thai curry paste, red variety or curry powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp mint leaves, fresh, cut into slivers

1 medium garlic cloves peeled

2 tsp ginger root, freshly grated

1/2 cup onion chopped

1 pound baby carrots

2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth

In a medium saucepan, bring broth, carrots, onion, garlic and ginger to a boil over medium high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20

minutes, until carrots are tender. Stir in curry paste and salt, simmer 1 minute to blend flavors. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Add tofu to saucepan and puree in pot using an immersion blender (or in a blender in batches) until smooth. Stir in mint and serve.

Sorry I haven't read this post! I will ask my Mom for the recipe tomorrow. ><'

Hi Paula,

I was thinking the same; and then I thought I will make thick soups and thick stews and cut everything up into little pieces and have no broth 0 it will be the same and better. I am starving and I am only 6 days post op!

Helen ><'

HI Jacklynrae,

Just found the recipes. They look fantastic. Two weeks plus 1 day I will be trying them. I think I am going to like the Thai one - bears paws sound good to me now. LOL.

Thanks so much,

Helen ><'

Helen!

These are all the recipes I have and I can't attest to all of them except the cheddar cheese soup. But they are all weight watchers and I have enjoyed their food even when not on a diet so I plan to try many of these.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Cream of Potato Soup

Creamy Thai Carrot Soup

If you are interested in any of these let me know and I will def. get them to you!

God Bless

Jacklyn

I would love the recipe for the Cream of Potato Soup. thanks Cathy

My Mom's Homemade Creamy Potato Soup (or Cream of Broccoli)

6 potatoes

1 stick of I can't believe it's not butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 tsp salt (optional)

1/4 tsp pepper (optional)

2 cups Chicken Broth

2 cups fat free (or skim) milk

1/2 cup flour

1 can cream of chicken

Slice 6 potatoes thin, and boil in pot until done. Drain them and take a fork and mash them up as thin as you want them.

In another pot, melt 1 stick of butter, chop onions very thin and saute in butter until onions are done. Add 1/2 cup flour (and salt and pepper if you want) into butter and onions until blended.

Add 1 can cream of chicken soup, 2 cans water, 2 cups chicken broth, and 2 cups milk-whisk often so it won't burn. Cook on Low/Med.

Add mashed potatoes, with wire whisk blend well..Cook about 10 minutes. You can add more milk if it is too thick.

If you would rather have the broccoli version, just add a 16 oz package of frozen broccoli instead of the potatoes.

This makes a huge pot of soup..I eat it for days!

I would love the recipe for the Cream of Potato Soup. thanks Cathy

It is a couple of posts above right above, I put Creamy Potato Soup as the title but its the same thing! Thanks everybody for your interest let me know if there is any other recipe that ya'll need!

God Bless

Jacklyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest CaraMBA09
My Mom's Homemade Creamy Potato Soup (or Cream of Broccoli)

6 potatoes

1 stick of I can't believe it's not butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 tsp salt (optional)

1/4 tsp pepper (optional)

2 cups Chicken Broth

2 cups fat free (or skim) milk

1/2 cup flour

1 can cream of chicken

Slice 6 potatoes thin, and boil in pot until done. Drain them and take a fork and mash them up as thin as you want them.

In another pot, melt 1 stick of butter, chop onions very thin and saute in butter until onions are done. Add 1/2 cup flour (and salt and pepper if you want) into butter and onions until blended.

Add 1 can cream of chicken soup, 2 cans water, 2 cups chicken broth, and 2 cups milk-whisk often so it won't burn. Cook on Low/Med.

Add mashed potatoes, with wire whisk blend well..Cook about 10 minutes. You can add more milk if it is too thick.

If you would rather have the broccoli version, just add a 16 oz package of frozen broccoli instead of the potatoes.

This makes a huge pot of soup..I eat it for days!

Thanks for the great recipe Kim! and everyone else. I am getting banded next Monday and have started my new "recipe" file!

Hi all,

My boyfriend made this soup for me that is out of one of those Grocery Store register isle mini paperbook Quick and Easy crockpot recipe. Well this soup is so easy using Cambells tomato soup cans as a base, and the thickening agent is cream cheese. This soup is so yummy- in my opinion its like restaurant quality with great flavor and texture. I have it in PDF format, so if anyone who like send me a message I will forward the PDF file to you.

Cheers!

Tara