Were You Satisfied With Your 1st Fill?

Satisifed with 1st Fill?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Did you receive restriction and loose weight after your first fill?

• Yes, I was happy with my 1st fill and lost weight
    • No, I couldn't tell any difference and could continue to eat anything I wanted.
    • No, my restriction was too tight and I had problems.

I'm one week away from my 1st fill and honestly, I'm worried about it. I have NO restriction and I want restriction because I'm struggling with my weight again. I'm curious about how many of you had restriction with your 1st fill and if you were satisfied with the experience.

I had my first fill a week ago (1.2cc). I have NO restriction.

Chelley,

I completely understand what you say as I was starting to deal with having to diet just before my fill, I had no restriction at all either. I had my first fill on Tuesday and received 2.0 cc. I have been on a liquid diet until today. What I have noticed is that when I got full on liquids (Starbucks) I got a sort of pain just under my collarbone on the left side almost in the spot where they put a pacemaker. It seems to happen every time and I am assuming that is my "softstop". I ate lunch today and had a small salad with chicken etc. and didn't really notice the pain but seemed to be somewhat satisfied when I was finished. Dr Romero said that I could go back in 6 weeks if the fill was not enough. I am really hoping for the best however.

Hope that helps

Kelli

I didn't really have that much more restriction after my first fill...But, remember that the doctor's told us that the first fill is always a bit goofy. With air getting in sometimes, the fill can go back down quite a bit. I went here at home and got a second fill 3 weeks after my first--it had gone back down from the first fill A LOT.

Dr. Martinez had put in 2cc at my first fill, but in the three weeks following, it had gone down to 1cc. My doctor here put it back to 2cc and since then (1 week ago), I've lost another 3 lbs. I can tell a big difference since the second fill...suggest you get in for 2nd fill...

Good Luck,

Kris

At $400 roundtrip for an airline ticket from Dallas to San Deigo, I can't afford to go back every couple of weeks, much less every few months for a fill. I guess I really should start research for a doctor who does fills closer to home. Anyone out there have any recommendations on doctors to use for fills in the Oklahoma/Texas region?

Well, I'm not getting the response on this poll question that I had hoped. Maybe all of us are so new to the lapband many of us haven't had fills yet??? I am very frustrated with my weight right now. In the time since surgery, I'd lost 21.5lbs which put my weight at 205.5lbs. Since I've been on solid food, I've steadly gained weight to a current 215lbs which was be pre-op weight. ;) I'm worried with this larger VG band, that I'm going to have to have lots of fills before I get restriction. I've only had one soft ball in the chest response which was when I was hot and thristy and gulped 1/2 bottle of water without thinking.......owwww! But as far as food goes ... I can eat like I did before ... hence the weight gain. I'm hoping I'll start seeing the scale go down again after the 1st fill.

Well, I'm not getting the response on this poll question that I had hoped. Maybe all of us are so new to the lapband many of us haven't had fills yet??? I am very frustrated with my weight right now. In the time since surgery, I'd lost 21.5lbs which put my weight at 205.5lbs. Since I've been on solid food, I've steadly gained weight to a current 215lbs which was be pre-op weight. ;) I'm worried with this larger VG band, that I'm going to have to have lots of fills before I get restriction. I've only had one soft ball in the chest response which was when I was hot and thristy and gulped 1/2 bottle of water without thinking.......owwww! But as far as food goes ... I can eat like I did before ... hence the weight gain. I'm hoping I'll start seeing the scale go down again after the 1st fill.

CHELLEY I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. I HAD MY FILL 4/28/06 AND HAVE LOST ONLY 1 LBS SINCE. I CALLED MY DR AND THEY TOLD ME WE ARE TO LOSE 10LBS IN A MONTH AND FOR ME TO TRY EATING SMALLER PORTIONS SIX TIME A DAY PLUS PROTEIN AND WATER. WHICH I HAVE TRIED AND NOT WORKING. I HATE FOR THEM TO TELL ME TO TRY DIET PILLS. SORRY BUT THAT IS NOT WHY I PAID THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY TO STRUGGLE MORE WITH DIETS. I KNOW ITS JUST A TOOL BUT IT IS SUPPOSE TO HELP TRAIN US TO EAT LESS, RIGHT. ALSO IT IS HARD WHEN YOU STOMACHE IS ASKING FOR FOOD. I HAD THE EXPERIENCE OF BEING HUNGRY AND FEELING A TIGHT SPASM WHERE MY BAND IS. ITS LIKE AN AIR POCKET THAT NEED TO BE FILLED. ONCE I EAT SOMETHING LIGHT AND VERY SLOW IT GOES AWAY. SOMETIMES I WONDER REALLY HAVE WE PAID ATTENTION TO SEE IF THEY REALLY PUT IN THE AMOUNT OF SALINE THEY SAY. DOES THE PORT EVENTUALLY LEAK IT OUT OR HOW MUCH MONEY DO THEY WANT US TO GIVE OUT. HUH, CHELLEY WE HAVE TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH ALL OUR BANDSTERS TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND KNOW MORE OF WHAT TO EXPECT SINCE WE CAN'T ALWAYS RUN TO DR. SORRY EVERYONE FOR WHINNING BUT WE ALL NEED TO VENT ONCE IN A WHILE. I DO HOPE THIS DOES WORKS FOR ME LIKE ITS WORKED FOR OTHERS SOON. HANG IN THERE CHELLEY, SYLVIA

Sylvia - Dr. Ortiz doesn't put any fill in the band until you are 6-8 weeks post-op. I have a band but no fill and now that the intial swelling of the surgical procedure has gone away, I can eat just like I did pre-band. The more I worry about my weight gain, the more I want to eat to comfort myself. It's a vicious cycle... and if I could control my emotional eating, well then I wouldn't need the band! Anyway, I am trying to be optomistic and I'm hoping my first fill goes well and I can have some restriction. My sister is still loosing weight and I'm so very proud of her. She has a smaller band than I do and has some mild restriction just from the band itself without a fill. She's also been taking L Caratine (sp?)- a supplement that assists in fat burning which was recommended to her by the nutritionist at Dr. Ortiz's clinic.

Sylvia - Dr. Ortiz doesn't put any fill in the band until you are 6-8 weeks post-op. I have a band but no fill and now that the intial swelling of the surgical procedure has gone away, I can eat just like I did pre-band. The more I worry about my weight gain, the more I want to eat to comfort myself. It's a vicious cycle... and if I could control my emotional eating, well then I wouldn't need the band! Anyway, I am trying to be optomistic and I'm hoping my first fill goes well and I can have some restriction. My sister is still loosing weight and I'm so very proud of her. She has a smaller band than I do and has some mild restriction just from the band itself without a fill. She's also been taking L Caratine (sp?)- a supplement that assists in fat burning which was recommended to her by the nutritionist at Dr. Ortiz's clinic.

Thanks Chelley maybe I should try this fat burning stuff. Don't worry about your fill soon, it is a piece of cake. I hear that a fluoscopy is a neat process to see. If you do have it done that way keep me posted. I had mine manually and they did poke. Have a safe trip! Sylvia

The first fill went great... 2.8cc in the band by Dr. Romero who is working with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. I'm starting regular food today and I DO have restriction! I've posted details under Newly Banded April 2006.

Chelley,

Can you tell us more about the L Caratine (sp?) Where can we get it and how is it taken. I was under the impression that we are not allow to take anything in pill format so I was just wondering if it was a powder.. I had my fill 5/30 and for the most part I am eating less have lost about 3 lbs but it is really, really slow going. I do have to keep telling myself that "slow and steady win the race" but that is sometimes hard. Anyway, love all of your updates and info and would appreciate more info on the supplement.

Thanks

Kel

Chelley,

Can you tell us more about the L Caratine (sp?) Where can we get it and how is it taken. I was under the impression that we are not allow to take anything in pill format so I was just wondering if it was a powder.. I had my fill 5/30 and for the most part I am eating less have lost about 3 lbs but it is really, really slow going. I do have to keep telling myself that "slow and steady win the race" but that is sometimes hard. Anyway, love all of your updates and info and would appreciate more info on the supplement.

Thanks

Kel

Kel - I can't spell to save my life... :P ! It's L-Carnitine and it comes in 500mg doses and rather expensive at $11 for 30 pills. This is a supplement that can be found in the vitamin/herb section of the pharmacy. However, it is NOT FOR EVERYONE. You should check with the nutritionist or your doctor to make sure this might be a good choice for you. L-Carnitine can interfere with other medications you might be taking, may cause problems with your heart beat... ect. They are horse pills and can't be swallowed whole, but there is no restriction for crushing them. For anyone else reading this post... there is no magic bullet... supplements can be dangerous and are not worth risking your health!!!! Best wishes on your journey! Chelley

At $400 roundtrip for an airline ticket from Dallas to San Deigo, I can't afford to go back every couple of weeks, much less every few months for a fill. I guess I really should start research for a doctor who does fills closer to home. Anyone out there have any recommendations on doctors to use for fills in the Oklahoma/Texas region?

Chelley,

I live in Ft. Worth and have found a lap band surgeon here who does fills for Mexico patients. I went to him for my second fill. If you would like to PM me, I'll give you the information...

Kris

:) I had my first fill on June 12, 2006 in TJ (1.5cc) I kept thinking to myself "give me more" these trips are so expensive...lol But I know Dr. Romaro knows what he's doing! I do have restriction, sometimes more so than others (haven't figured that one out). These are all terrific people, and I would love to continue my care under them, but the expense of private pay and air travel will make this impossible.

My job is very physically demanding, I work hard and at a fast pace all day...AND I do get hungry. I find it almost impossible to go 4-6 hours without eating. I know we are supposed to limit meals to three per day....but man it's just so hard to do when your body is screaming out for fuel! And I find myself losing concentration and tiring out fast if I do not eat. My weight loss is slow....I try to remind myself that I did not get in this obese condition overnight and can't expect to lose it overnight!

Good luck to everyone on their journey and my prayer is that God will assist us in meeting all our needs. Bless Dr. Ortiz and his entire staff and keep them in His care! pssst......... Love you Chelley & Misty!!

Dreamer ;)

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't CLOSE, but it's closer. There is a center in Kansas City that would at least be within driving distance (well, okay, a weekend trip maybe!).

The Bariatric Center of Kansas City

Shawnee Mission, KS 66204

Thanks, but I found a Radiology group in Paris, TX to do my fills. I actually got the information from Carolyn, Dr. Ortiz's patient coordinator. Although, the OCC can't recommend any of the doctors on the list, they do have a listing compiled of doctors who will do fills for patients banded in Mexico.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to this forum, just looking for support.

Had the surgery in April 06, lost 14 ponds the first three weeks and had my first fill 6 weeks later, not restictive enough and went for my second fill 4 weeks later. As of today, 8/10/06 I have lost a total of 25 pounds and have now started to exersize.

Yes it is slower than I had hoped, but perhaps that is the healthiest way. I did have one bout with 'Progressive Burping (PBING) it scared me to death, felt what a hart attack may feel like. I was so hungry that I forgot the band and reverted back to eating and gulfing food down.

I considered this a good lesson and now try very hard to remember to chew,chew,chew.

This is not a majic bullet and a big life change. I have two friends that had this surgery, one, a man lost 55 ponds in a year and a halve and the other, a woman, lost 100 pounds in the same time.

I will consider another fill in a couple of weeks until I feel sufficiently restricted to keep loosing.

Like I said, not a piece of cake, but what weight loss is? I have never before been able to loose and keep it off. I am praying for some help for strenght here.

Any one with info how you are handling this all now?

Monika

Monika - Getting the fill right is hard. I'm struggling as I'm sure others are. It seems like you put so much focus into having the surgery and have so much hope as those initial pounds start coming off that when you hit the bump in the road to getting the fill right it is easy to get discouraged and I'm finding I revert back to feeling like a failure. I've had three fills and finally do have restrcition, but I'm not currently loosing weight and that is very dissatisifying to me. Like you, I seek support. It seems that a lot of us are new here, having only been banded for 6 months or less. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I do know that I'm definately not taking in enough protein because I've started experiencing some hair loss. I'm taking measures to correct this with supplements and trying to make good food choices, but I'm so dang stressed and don't know where to turn for support at this point that I just want to scream in frustration. There were a lot of folks who use to post on here that were banded before we were in April and yet they've dropped off the board one by one and I'm not sure why unless it seems this site has revolved around the decison to have surgery and not so much about support after surgery. Having this band isn't a tip toe through the tulips, nor did I expect it to be, but I'm frustrated, out of answers as to why I'm not getting the results I want and just plain cranky about it today. Tomorrow, I'll probably feel differently as my mood swings with the + or - of the scale. Chelley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chelley,

I'm starting to lose a little hair as well, but I am getting in a lot of protein. I supplement every morning with a protein shake that has about 27-30 grams in it. I tend to lose hair when I lose weight, so I'm not too concerned about that - I'd rather NOT lose the hair, but I'm not sure what else I can do... I'd love any suggestions you have (I know you're a nurse). I know there is a supplement called MSM that I have heard can help with hair/nails, etc - so maybe its time I look into that. What supplements are you taking?

Hi, I know there are 2 doctors in Tulsa that Dr. Ortiz taught himself. I have just sent an email to get their names again and then I will forward them to you.