Clothing Exchange Discussion...

MamaMichelle

I saw this on another board and it sounds like a good idea.

I've been thinking about it - and I'm sure most of you have been too -- let's do a CLOTHING EXCHANGE!!!!

I know "most" of us don't stay in the same size clothing for long - and although postage might cost us a little bit of money - it is far cheaper than having to BUY new clothes every so many pounds ---

I love that I've lost weight - don't get me wrong - but my almost "empty" closet isn't a good feeling -- and the idea of buying clothes that won't fit in a month's time, for the most part, just doesn't motivate me to throw my money away every few weeks.

Since shipping would be very expensive out of the U.S. - I think we'd have to start a new thread for each country of bandsters who wants to do the same thing ---

so U.S. folks what do you say? Outside the U.S. - want to start a clothing exchange too on a new thread?

*as a courtesy to each person mailing out clothing - let's thank them by sending them a check for postage after we get the clothes

"Pictures" of each item might be a consideration also? Then people can pick and choose what they would like --

if you're interested - please PM (personal message) the person who is posting specific clothing to give away -- and you can exchange addresses to protect everyone's privacy

So what do you guys think?

I am more than willing to participate. I have plenty of Size 20 Jeans, shorts, and shirts (Lane Bryant and Old Navy) if anyone is interested.

I saw this on another board and it sounds like a good idea.

I've been thinking about it - and I'm sure most of you have been too -- let's do a CLOTHING EXCHANGE!!!!

I know "most" of us don't stay in the same size clothing for long - and although postage might cost us a little bit of money - it is far cheaper than having to BUY new clothes every so many pounds ---

I love that I've lost weight - don't get me wrong - but my almost "empty" closet isn't a good feeling -- and the idea of buying clothes that won't fit in a month's time, for the most part, just doesn't motivate me to throw my money away every few weeks.

Since shipping would be very expensive out of the U.S. - I think we'd have to start a new thread for each country of bandsters who wants to do the same thing ---

so U.S. folks what do you say? Outside the U.S. - want to start a clothing exchange too on a new thread?

*as a courtesy to each person mailing out clothing - let's thank them by sending them a check for postage after we get the clothes

"Pictures" of each item might be a consideration also? Then people can pick and choose what they would like --

if you're interested - please PM (personal message) the person who is posting specific clothing to give away -- and you can exchange addresses to protect everyone's privacy

So what do you guys think?

I think this is a great idea!

Another option that you might consider is going to Garage Sales and Thrift Stores. I have found tons of really nice clothing this way and spend hardly anything (I rarely pay more than 25 or 50 cents for a pair of jeans) It is like searching for treasure and once you start, it becomes addictive!!! I gave most of my old, large clothes to a local charity....they call me every few weeks and I weed out my closet. I want to get rid of anything that doesn't fit so I don't gain it back and have a wardrobe! I have also run across some ads from others that have had surgery and have super sales of all their large clothes, these sales are pretty successful in getting something for your old wardrobe. Just some ideas......

Wow! Too bad! I've got a lot of size 12 and size 10 clothes I'm about to get rid of...but, unless you guys have a trip planned to Cancun anytime soon...not so helpful. So, I'll have my own garage sale...American clothes will be a super hot item!

Oh, ebay is a good resource for cheap clothes too. Good Luck!

Kris

I have size 18's that I will need to get rid of....and hopefully the 16W soon too...If anyone would want some of them let me know!

I think it is a good idea, but my clothes that I have shrunk out of are sizes 4x, 26, and 24 talls. Generally, there isn't anyone that has lost some weight that large that can use my things.

Sometimes I can sell a few things at a clothes closet type store, but generally, I just have to donate them.

If anyone wants those sizes, let me know

• 2 months later...

I started in a size 32 and I am in a 26 now...some 24's are starting to fit me....I'm open to buy clothes from anyone between sizes 26 to 18.....Everything I'm wearing right now is to big, but everytime I go buy something it doesn't fit long! Yea!! My Mom passed on Jan.4, and she was a size 16...so I'm looking forward to being able to wear her clothes....This was her life long dream..for me to loose weight...So, Here's to my mom and all your moms who worried about you being over weight!!

Thanks Michelle for the great Idea! Your Great!! ;)

Misty so sorry about youre moms passing, My mom is 71 and she went with me to TJ when I was banded. And I thank God every day for her being there for me. Glad to here about youre future plans. Keep up the good work.

Mistyband - I'm sorry to hear about your mom, she would be very proud of you !!

Since I got those "killer legs" I usually wear only long skirts and hardly any pants...

Getting them altered around the waist, was the easiest way and also less expensive ;)

Since everyone is doing so great, I don't know if there is someone out there who would be interested in some

of my "not altered" size 22-24 skirts ?

(Sorry, no tops & blouses - gave them all to my sis-in-law)

I started in a size 32 and I am in a 26 now...some 24's are starting to fit me....I'm open to buy clothes from anyone between sizes 26 to 18.....Everything I'm wearing right now is to big, but everytime I go buy something it doesn't fit long! Yea!! My Mom passed on Jan.4, and she was a size 16...so I'm looking forward to being able to wear her clothes....This was her life long dream..for me to loose weight...So, Here's to my mom and all your moms who worried about you being over weight!!

Thanks Michelle for the great Idea! Your Great!! ;)

I am so sorry to hear about your mother!!!!!!!

BUMPING THIS UP... Now that we are all losing weight and dropping sizes maybe we need to revisit this idea!

I am cleaning out my closet this weekend, and will post on Monday exactly what sizes I have available. I know that I have from 16-10, but I am currently a size 12 so I need to keep those!!

Michelle thanks for re-posting this, great idea :D

I'm in an 18 now but hopefully will be in a 16 soon. I'd be willing to take anything anyone has in a 14-16. I'm still in my 18's right now but I'll be sure to post when they get to big and I can't wear them anymore.

I should have 16's and 14's for you, I will let you know for sure on Monday. What state are you in?

Thank yall for your responses....My mom's passing was suddenly and she was only 47. My mom was so full of life and love...its very hard...but Her passing is the reason I was able to have my surgery so fast....so I say that was her last gift to me:).....I wish I had one more time to say I love you, Mom and hold her hand...but we will meet again with our Heavenly Father! ><' Thanks again...and anyone with sizes 18-26 let me know....

Thank yall for your responses....My mom's passing was suddenly and she was only 47. My mom was so full of life and love...its very hard...but Her passing is the reason I was able to have my surgery so fast....so I say that was her last gift to me:).....I wish I had one more time to say I love you, Mom and hold her hand...but we will meet again with our Heavenly Father! ><' Thanks again...and anyone with sizes 18-26 let me know....

Misty:

My heart goes out to you for your recent loss. Yes you will see your mom again and know then you'll be truly in HEAVEN

I too lost my mom suddenly and the pain is with me every day. It does get a little easier but I truly understand where you are.

Keep your chin up and your weight down!!!

Hugs to ya

And about this clothing exchange I love it!! I'll post when I have my clothes gathered up to send to anyone.

I'm only down about 7 pounds, but I'm happy to give up the XLs and 14s to a happier place when I'm safely in the 10s.

I'm in Phoenix (*shock*), so my clothing tends to be on the lighter side. Most of it is corporate stuff. We're going to need a Flickr or Yahoo account to post pictures in size groups!

The clothing exchange is a great idea, however I love shopping so much and I shopping for new and smaller clothes is a reward for me.

I'm going to be taking my outgrown clothes down to Savannah to give to my sister to donate to the charity her Bakery supports. It's a place for homeless women and children and they help the women get back on their feet and get jobs. They need larger sized clothing and I have lots of it!

I LOVE this idea! Clothing is too expensive for the short time we will all be in the plus sizes.

Paula, I think I would be able to use your too-slim-to be-in clothes. and then hopefully be able to pass them on shortly thereafter.

If you don't have any takers on the board, maybe freecycle them in your area? I have done this before with the clothes I was never going to be skinny enough to wear again...and I usually had several people that wanted it in only a few minutes after it was posted. So, it is another thought.